What's new

The Long Ships? (1 Viewer)

Eric F

Screenwriter
Anyone own this DVD? It came out a few months ago and is very hard to find. The few reviews I've found say the movie is excellent (I've never seen it), but don't say much about the transfer itself.

Impressions of the film and DVD would be appreciated. This one is so hard to find, it's ~$20 everywhere.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Long Ships was directed by acclaimed cinematographer Jack Cardiff, who shot The Vikings. That's where the similarity ends.

Whereas the latter went for what it considered to be an authetic look at the Norsemen, the former is more of a romp through 'history'; some people love it, others hate it. I must admit to being relatively indifferent; a great cast, but a film that's, well, dull.

BTW, I love The Vikings ;)

---
So many films, so little time...

Chuck Wood

Grip
Eric,
The Long Ships is a "serious" epic that kind of went off the rails. It doesn't work as serious drama, but is fun in a goofy sort of way.
The transfer is good except for one problem, and actually appears to be taken from the original Technirama eight perf negative, if the aspect ratio is to be believed , and I think it is. The problem? VERY low gama during the transfer. If you boost it, it solves most of the problem.
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks