What's new

The Loner: The Complete Series (Collector's Edition) 6/14/16 (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
After sampling THE LONER by looking at some opening and closing credits, verifying that the set was OK, I filed it away awaiting an appropriate time to start looking at these. So last night, with not enough time before bedtime to watch something of an hour's length, I suggested to the wife that we watch the first episode of THE LONER.

"An Echo Of Bugles" played like an episode of THE TWILIGHT ZONE, with its slow-motion war-footage and flashbacks. All that was missing was some kind of twist ending. Tony Bill was the main antagonist in this one and his youth shone through. He was 25 when the episode was filmed but was playing someone "16 or 17, no more".

The veteran Whit Bissell played the wronged man in need of Lloyd Bridges' assistance. He played the war-weary former soldier from the South who was derided by Tony Bill, and turned in his usual superb performance. John Hoyt appeared in flashback sequences firmly anchoring this production in the '60s.

Overall, the main part of the episode looked like sharp, crisp black & white. But the opening credit sequence looked a bit worse for wear for some reason. This episode had Vic Perrin handling the voice-over duties in the opening, much like he did as the Control Voice for THE OUTER LIMITS, Peeking ahead, I determined that that voice-over only lasted a few episodes into the season and later the sequence played through without any narration, just Jerry Goldsmith's fabulous theme for the series. But I did note that the opening film appeared rougher in virtually every episode, making me wonder if any of the episodes themselves are less than that crisp black & white of the pilot. I'll have to take note of that as I get further into the show.

Looking through a few end-credit sequences, all of the sponsor-in-the-corner images were present, as was the 20th Century Fox Television logo followed by the same CBS "iris" that's on all of THE TWILIGHT ZONE episodes. It's always nice to have the original elements of a TV series preserved on a decent home video format.

I'm still puzzled by how it could be that I don't remember watching any of this series. I have a gut feeling that maybe Dad didn't like this more "pacifist" type of western, preferring the shoot-em-up types of an earlier era. Looking over the television schedule in that fall of 1965, I recall the following things about Saturday nights:

We'd long watched THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW, but with I DREAM OF JEANNIE appearing on NBC during the second half of that show, I think we switched over to watch that first year. Then we stuck with NBC for GET SMART. It was odd that we'd turn away from CBS - that was the network that we watched most of the time, but the pull of the BEWITCHED-type show starting on NBC that year was strong. And GET SMART was just one of those right place/right time shows.

9:00 to 9:30 would have presented us with a viewing problem. SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES could have been a strong pull, depending on the film. If the movie was not of interest, then a switch to ABC for a half-hour dose of Lawrence Welk might have been in order. Then at 9:30, instead of THE LONER, we probably stuck with ABC and watched the first half of THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE, waiting for GUNSMOKE to appear at 10, back on CBS. That has to be the reason that I have no memories of actually watching THE LONER when it was on.

Thankfully, fifty years plus later, I can appreciate and enjoy the series.

Harry

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Looking over the old schedules, sometimes, it seems we watched all of the shows. I guess it was a case of trying out the new series. Even back then I knew many new shows would get canceled and I could always go back to the veteran series later. Other times someone would decide to switch to a different program because they did not like the story or even the guest star some weeks. As a kid I remember The Loner seemed dull. I would even switch from Rawhide to International Showcase sometimes, because I liked the circus aerialists. I'd switch off from the Virginian back to Ozzie and Harriet if it was not a Trampas episode.

I had to look up The Loner's replacement, THE FACE IS FAMILIAR. That was a celebrity game show where a famous face would be guessed from a slowly revealed drawing. I could swear I saw that rerun in the daytime on Sundays, but that doesn't seem possible.

I'll give The Loner a go now, though. I think Lloyd Bridges is a terrific actor. His Mike Nelson, in Sea Hunt, would be in my top five favorite TV heroes list, if I was a list maker.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
THE FACE IS FAMILIAR was hosted by Jack Whitaker in the summer of 1966. It aired in color while the show it replaced, THE LONER was black & white. The game consisted of guessing famous faces that were scrambled up on a big board. Answering a question correctly allowed you to see one more piece of the scrambled puzzle. The theme song was by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - a song called "Brasilia", written by Julius Wechter, and featured on their WHAT NOW MY LOVE album.

Now THAT show I definitely recall watching - I guess it was preferable to reruns of THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
One surviving color episode of "Face Is Familiar" aired on GSN in the late 90s and there are also two other episodes (one of them the unaired pilot with Jack Clark hosting) in game show collecting circles.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'm still puzzled by how it could be that I don't remember watching any of this series. I have a gut feeling that maybe Dad didn't like this more "pacifist" type of western, preferring the shoot-em-up types of an earlier era. Looking over the television schedule in that fall of 1965, I recall the following things about Saturday nights:

We'd long watched THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW, but with I DREAM OF JEANNIE appearing on NBC during the second half of that show, I think we switched over to watch that first year. Then we stuck with NBC for GET SMART. It was odd that we'd turn away from CBS - that was the network that we watched most of the time, but the pull of the BEWITCHED-type show starting on NBC that year was strong. And GET SMART was just one of those right place/right time shows.

9:00 to 9:30 would have presented us with a viewing problem. SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES could have been a strong pull, depending on the film. If the movie was not of interest, then a switch to ABC for a half-hour dose of Lawrence Welk might have been in order. Then at 9:30, instead of THE LONER, we probably stuck with ABC and watched the first half of THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE, waiting for GUNSMOKE to appear at 10, back on CBS. That has to be the reason that I have no memories of actually watching THE LONER when it was on.

Thankfully, fifty years plus later, I can appreciate and enjoy the series.

Harry

Thanks for this reminiscence. It's a kick to hear memories of classic TV from those who were there (I wasn't born until a few years later, 1967). It's always amazing to me to look at these old schedules and realize just how many classic shows crowded the airwaves on a mere three channels.

I've only seen the pilot of THE LONER, and look forward to picking this series up soon.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... I *was* there in 65 and absoluely do not recall this series. At all. So I look up the schedule and see it was on Saturday night at 9:30, 8:30 central and I'd have still been up. I know *for sure* I watched Flipper, I Dream of Jeannie, and Get Smart so I can only surmise we just left the set tuned to NBC for "NBC Saturday Night at the Movies" as I know my parents didn't watch Gunsmoke and my sister and I didn't care for it either. I have vague recollections of the occasional viewing of The Lawrence Welk Show and know I'd watch it sometimes waiting for other stuff to come on but have no recollection of watching The Hollywood Palace either so it *had* to have been the NBC movie. Whew! :)

Wow... looking at the old schedules always brings back memories - I get the theme songs in my head and know how I felt back then hearing some of those shows come on.

So... I've read so much discussion on the show, saw it at WM, and based solely on discussion and that Lloyd Bridges is the star (in the early 60s we watched and liked Sea Hunt) picked up a copy.

Last edited:

Buck Benny

Agent
Real Name
Buck Benny
Just watched pilot episode of The Loner. The quality was superb. I'm delighted that we get the chance to see what Rod Serling could do with a western series. Every character was spot on in that first episode, and the acting was top notch. The flash back transitions were some of the best I've seen and really helped us get a quick understanding of the lead character. To me this first episode was worth the price alone, now everything else is gravy!

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Noticed a couple days ago that Walmart's online status for this title has gone to "out of stock" - no locations nearby have it available, shipping and free pickup not available. Interesting, given the... arbitrary... in-store distribution we've seen.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The Loner is up for pre-order at amazon and importcds for Sept 13, release. Flicka at both those sites for Aug. 23. Will they really have them at that point? Who knows? No sign of Custer.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well whoever wished me "good luck with that" on my attempt to order THE LONER from walmart.com had the proper insight.

I allowed a long time between ordering and now and it's still sitting in the "processing" stage. Meanwhile, some online store searches revealed a store in Lakeland, FL that had it in stock. Taking a chance, I drove the 25 miles to the store and found THE LONER among 4 others (so I guess it wasn't really a "loner".

Now I need to go cancel the online order or I'll end up with two copies. Well, I suppose one could be a loaner...

Harry

I was the one who wished you "good luck with that" . However, I did not take my own advice. After not finding THE LONER at a couple of Wal-Marts, I tried ordering online on 6-23-16, only to have the order hung up in "processing" hell just like CUSTER. So, I did the same thing I did with CUSTER - bought from an ebay seller a week later at close to full retail. I then attempted to cancel the Wal Mart online order. The cancellation has been hung up in "attempting to process your cancellation" ever since. This morning (8-18-16, almost 2 months later), I received an email from Wally World apologizing that they had to cancel my order of THE LONER because it is out of stock.

So, they apparently never processed my own attempt to cancel the order and continued to carry it as an order until they figured out there was no stock. These guys have serious problems when it comes to exclusives for DVDs.

I have mixed feelings about the show. I love Jerry Goldsmith's title music, and I really like Lloyd Bridges as William Colton - a friendly, honest and intelligent man who does not take any crap from anyone. The episodes where Serling gets overly preachy are a bit annoying, just as some Twilight Zone episodes did.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
The cancellation has been hung up in "attempting to process your cancellation" ever since. This morning (8-18-16, almost 2 months later), I received an email from Wally World apologizing that they had to cancel my order of THE LONER because it is out of stock.

The same thing happened to me with my TWO attempts to order it. Got two cancellations this morning. I'm happy that it sounds like Amazon will get it, since Walmart was a complete bust.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
So Walmart completely sold out of it? Must have been a small print run.
I'm not sure they ever had any available to order online. I think everyone in this thread who got one from them found it in a bricks and mortar store. The whole ordering process was terrible--even when it said it was 'in stock' they never processed it, and there wasn't even a real way to cancel the order. I finally just decided to let it go, and then they canceled it after 70 days.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Earlier today the main Walmart site said one copy of Custer was in stock. So much for the pre-orders.

Custer is listed at importcds now as a "Special Order" item, whatever that means.

It took two years for Amazon to get the full two season release of Tombstone Territory, an earlier Walmart exclusive. At least with that one you could order it from Shout!/Timeless.

Walmart is really missing the boat by not allowing online/mail order for these exclusives. Or they are really underestimating consumer interest.

Buck Benny

Agent
Real Name
Buck Benny
I had four copies in my hands three weeks ago at a local Walmart. I bought two of them, but should have bought all four. I already gave my extra away, sorry folks.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Earlier today the main Walmart site said one copy of Custer was in stock. So much for the pre-orders.

Custer is listed at importcds now as a "Special Order" item, whatever that means.

It took two years for Amazon to get the full two season release of Tombstone Territory, an earlier Walmart exclusive. At least with that one you could order it from Shout!/Timeless.

Walmart is really missing the boat by not allowing online/mail order for these exclusives. Or they are really underestimating consumer interest.
I think these are only exclusive to Wal*Mart for a certain window and at a lower price ...
http://www.deepdiscount.com/the-loner-the-complete-series/826663167382

• The Loner: The Complete Series
  • (Full Frame, Boxed Set, 4PC)
  • Format: DVD
  • Rated: NR
  • Release Date: 9/13/201 Pre-Order DVD
    LIST PRICE: $24.97
    PRICE: $17.23
    You Save: $7.74 (31%)
Custer is listed as "Special Order" FYI

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-loner-the-complete-series/30159137?ean=0826663167382

DVD
(Full Frame)

$15.62 $24.99 | Save 37%

Available for Pre-Order. This item will be available on September 13, 2016

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
'Custer' is supposed to go on general release Sept 6. Amazon have it up but saying t will take one or two months for delivery.
If people can't see or find these shows then they are unlikely to sell well which rather defeats the object.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks