What's new

The Loner: The Complete Series (Collector's Edition) 6/14/16 (1 Viewer)

rwd11954

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ Dixon
Wow! I'm so impressed and shocked. Never thought this one would see the light of day. Bought a partial series run on bootleg a few years and looking forward to seeing the whole series (with hopefully better masters than the bootlegs).

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
Last edited:

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Picked up The Loner at Walmart today for $14.98 . Nice . Picked up Custer over the weekend at Walmart . I hope Shout/Timeless keep this up .

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
^ Same here. Lots of WalMart's near me, but only one had The Loner available. $16.16 with tax. Blind buy for me, so thanks to all those who have posted here.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Got The Loner at my local Wal-Mart (Bristol, CT) on the way home from work. The guy who runs the department must be a classic tv fan. This store has everything: Baa Baa Black Sheep volume 3, Daniel Boone S1, Beverly Hillbillies S1, Rifleman S3V1, Flicka, Custer, and the Loner. I am hoping to watch at least one or two episodes with Lloyd Bridges later tonight.

However, I notice what feels like the closing of an era. Two of my favorite releases in 2015 were the Rebel and the Saint. In both releases, the case and disc label had TMG and/or Timeless on it, and when I loaded the discs I was greeted with that familiar blue screen announcing another Timeless release. I felt as if Shout! was paying homage to Mr. Anderson's legacy and all the great TMG releases over the years. The Loner is right in the sweet spot of the kind of material that the former TMG used to release, and they use a similar brown color on the cover art that resembles so many of TMG's western releases. So I was disappointed that the case and disc only reference Shout!, and when I loaded a disc it is Shout's logo that greets me. Not a huge deal as long as Shout! keeps cranking out tv series like this, but I suspect I will always consider shows like this as Timeless releases no matter what the label says. I'm thinking Shout! would not be putting out things like The Loner and Westerner if they hadn't purchased TMG.

Regardless, really glad to have this one and I hope my measly $15.91 spent today encourages Shout/Timeless to keep 'em coming.

Last edited:

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
Got The Loner at my local Wal-Mart (Bristol, CT) on the way home from work. The guy who runs the department must be a classic tv fan. This store has everything: Baa Baa Black Sheep volume 3, Daniel Boone S1, Beverly Hillbillies S1, Rifleman S3V1, Flicka, Custer, and the Loner. I am hoping to watch at least one or two episodes with Lloyd Bridges later tonight.

However, I notice what feels like the closing of an era. Two of my favorite releases in 2015 were the Rebel and the Saint. In both releases, the case and disc label had TMG and/or Timeless on it, and when I loaded the discs I was greeted with that familiar blue screen announcing another Timeless release. I felt as if Shout! was paying homage to Mr. Anderson's legacy and all the great TMG releases over the years. The Loner is right in the sweet spot of the kind of material that the former TMG used to release, and they use a similar brown on the cover art that resembles so many of TMG's western releases. So I was disappointed that the case and disc only reference Shout!, and when I loaded a disc it is Shout's logo that greets me. Not a huge deal as long as Shout! keeps cranking out tv series like this, but I suspect I will always consider shows like this as Timeless releases no matter what the label says. I'm thinking Shout! would not be putting out things like The Loner and Westerner if they hadn't purchased TMG.

Regardless, really glad to have this one and I hope my measly $15.91 spent today encourages Shout/Timeless to keep 'em coming.

So how is the picture quality?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Yeah, somebody please chime in regarding the picture/sound quality. It's showing as in stock at the Walmart I pass on my way home from work and I might just swing by there tomorrow.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I've had a chance to watch the first two episodes and the quality is very good. Not as sharp as Perry Mason, but definitely crisper than the Rebel looks. But that is only based on the first two episodes. Both episodes were 25-1/2 minutes long.

Really nice show. It has shooting, fighting, and bad guys, but it's very thoughtful. I've enjoyed Lloyd Bridges in Sea Hunt, but The Loner lets him do a lot more acting. This is a really nice find at an amazing price.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Prints on the first two episodes were excellent and uncut. Nice to see them complete, as those 22-minute edited prints from TV-Land were pretty brutal on things. Really looking forward to seeing some of the episodes I've never seen. I've admittedly been a bit critical of the series' sometimes ridiculously heavy-handed emphasis on 'psychological' drama, but the show does have a lot of fine guest-stars and excellent photography, and undoubtedly has a few gems hiding out in its 26-episode run. Pleased that Shout released this. Also picked up "Custer" today!

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
just picked it up a the walmat in hanford along with, custer and flicka, just purused through the first disc and picture quality is surprisingly crisp for a show tha has not sydication since.. well ever , but will be watching this one all this week.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Also picked this up today.. will try and enjoy some of this show and Custer over the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks