What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Little Mermaid (2023) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess some people like it. Mariah does have her fans.

But it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. It's just excessive bombast to my mind.

A simpler, intimate treatment of a lyric is much more effective with me. (I don't care for opera at all either.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It is also worth noting that this is a trailer.

It is possible that Disney used this take for the trailer just to introduce Hailee Bailey's Ariel for the audience and will use another take for the movie. We don't know yet for certain that the extra vocalizing on "be" will stay that way in the film.

Of course, it is also possible that we are listening to exactly what will be in the film in that spot. And in either case, I'm not telling anyone how to feel about it or trying to get you to see it in a certain way. But we know that Disney often uses stuff in trailers that appear differently in the final film. They cut these things very carefully. I wouldn't call it particularly likely, but it wouldn't be the first time a trailer didn't match up exactly with the film that it claims to represent.

We'll see in May.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Jake. I don't know that anyone was discussing whether or not that particular vocal treatment would or wouldn't be in the film. We were just discussing what we heard in the trailer as posted in Post #116 (what Disney wanted to give us as a sneak peek).

Frankly, I don't think it really matters if it's in the film or not--although I expect it will be.

Some people will prefer the new version to Jodi Bension's original track. And that's fine. It's just my opinion that young singers think that running through scales in single notes is impressive and shows off some kind of skill. I just find it pretentious and obnoxious and amateurish.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Huh. The "be" didn't bother me at all. I like Bailey's vocals so far.
It surprised me, but didn't bother me. It's often the case that when you're used to the sound of a song performance, a different performance will sound "off" or "wrong". So I can understand why someone might not like it, but I'm OK with it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, Hailee Bailey can clearly sing it. I'm also glad to see that they have honored Ariel's red hair, albeit adapting it in a way that makes sense for Bailey. They didn't need to replicate the exact look of the animated character, but I like that they didn't abandon it either.
The hair surprised me, too. I've only seen her with her hair in elaborate braids, so I figured we were in for some variation of that here. While her red hair here has some pretty tight curls, it's still able to flow in the water in ways that wouldn't be possible with a head full of braids.

I also like how her wide-set eyes -- like Anya Taylor-Joy before she grew into her face -- give her Ariel a slightly more fish-like vibe.

It'll be interesting to see whether they lean into the story's Danish roots when depicting Prince Eric's world above the sea.

P.S.: Does Google keep trying to autocorrect Halle Bailey to Halle Berry for anybody else?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
We recently saw the live action touring company and really did not like it at all. (Why am I so negative lately?!). Well to be fair really, two adults in their 60s is not the target audience.

The little girls, especially those dressed as Ariel, seemed to love it. Unlike the live musical of Beauty and The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Shrek however, there was very little to appeal to adults at all.
Actually, I saw a performance with drag-queens in a gay club in Thailand (don't ask me how I managed to end up there) and it was riveting.
IMG_4105.JPG

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It also accurred to me just now, that since my daughter was at just the right age, and since she had the soundtrack, VHS, and read along tape, I must have seen and heard the original movie at least 597,465 times! Perhaps that is why I am so tired of it! ☺️

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's just my opinion that young singers think that running through scales in single notes is impressive and shows off some kind of skill. I just find it pretentious and obnoxious and amateurish.
IMO, it doesn't show skill. It shows their voice is not powerful enough to hold a single note on-key for any length of time.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It looks expensive, but I assume it will be a lifeless exercise like their previous animated to live-action transitions. I also didn't love the additional vocalization on the signature song...but I am not the target audience, and those that are probably think it is wonderful. This is my favorite of the renaissance films (and showcases Ashman as the genius that he is), so I was bound to be protective. No worries, I was never planning to see this.

At least Bailey looks great, and I hope she does well in this role.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's amazing that they don't even need to put the name of the movie on the poster. The original is so iconic that everyone in the audience will know exactly what this is.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hope they worked some studio magic on Melissa McCarthy's singing in this film if her recent performance in her musical SB ad is representative of her vocal "abilities".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks