Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

The Lemon Drop Kid Blu-ray Review
lemondropkidtop2.jpg

Sidney Lanfield’s The Lemon Drop Kid based on a Damon Runyon short story might not quite reach the sentimentally seedy Broadway atmosphere of the best 1930s filmed Runyon tales, but it offers a top flight cast, some catchy tunes including one that went on to be a Christmas classic, and a top studio production that serves its gals and grifters story nicely.

[review]

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Matt Hough

The Lemon Drop Kid Blu-ray Review
lemondropkidtop2.jpg

Sidney Lanfield’s The Lemon Drop Kid based on a Damon Runyon short story might not quite reach the sentimentally seedy Broadway atmosphere of the best 1930s filmed Runyon tales, but it offers a top flight cast, some catchy tunes including one that went on to be a Christmas classic, and a top studio production that serves its gals and grifters story nicely.

[review]

Thanks for the review -

It's the cinematic source for the the Hanukah song "Silver Bells" ...
I (pre-)ordered this & some of the other Bob Hope blurays from Kino from deepdiscount as they have a sale going on ...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Matt! I was going to order all the Hope Kino titles until Kino confirmed they were not including English Subtitles for any of them. Very disappointing as they earlier had said all titles released in 2017 would include them. With all the late night viewing I do, they are a must.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thanks for the review -

It's the cinematic source for the the Hanukah song "Silver Bells" ...
I (pre-)ordered this & some of the other Bob Hope blurays from Kino from deepdiscount as they have a sale going on ...
Crosby got his Christmas song White Christmas and the legend is Hope wanted one for himself and he got a winner on Silver Bells!

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Crosby got his Christmas song White Christmas and the legend is Hope wanted one for himself and he got a winner on Silver Bells!

The song's a winner but very, very few people know it was sung by Hope, much less the movie in which it originated while many know White Christmas is Bing's (though they often get the movie wrong). To the best of my knowledge, there was never a release of Silver Bells from Hope outside the movie though he *did* sing it on his TV Christmas Special every year. And to add insult to injury, the first recorded version, which was a huge hit, was sung by Bing Crosby and Carol Richards and was released roughly 6 months before the movie saw release.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The song's a winner but very, very few people know it was sung by Hope, much less the movie in which it originated while many know White Christmas is Bing's (though they often get the movie wrong). To the best of my knowledge, there was never a release of Silver Bells from Hope outside the movie though he *did* sing it on his TV Christmas Special every year. And to add insult to injury, the first recorded version, which was a huge hit, was sung by Bing Crosby and Carol Richards and was released roughly 6 months before the movie saw release.
Yes --- technically Frawley sang it first I do not think Hope had a record contract thats why it was never released by him in 1951 Evans and Livingston were worried about writing a Christmas Song according to sources Paramount wanted one for the film (Hope wanted one think about it Autry had Rudolph Crosby White Christmas) the writers contract were expiring and they were afraid if their song failed their contracts were gone!

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yes, Hope got great use out of "Silver Bells" for his entire television career. He chose lots of female guest stars on his yearly specials to sing it with (you can find many of them on YouTube).
Yep Dolly Parton and many others I cannot watch Dolores Hope one because I feel bad for her Hope had his girlfriends and they all knew it Marilyn Maxwell for example and they say at one party in front of her he openly was with Maxwell Hopes kids all say they knew and everyone knew and they accepted it but the Hopes were married for decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks