What's new

The Latest Supermarket Insanity (1 Viewer)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I'll chime in late and say I'm also with Julie on this one, but I won't go off on my "dictatorship of the majority" rant about the plight of single nonparents.

I think kids are great. There's nothing in the world more important than kids.

I just don't want any of them living in my house.

As for the parental pilots of the careening carts, I wonder how much they'll accept responsibility when their offspring later mimic the behavior they've modeled. I'd be surpised if they don't try propelling grocery carts at high rates of speed through the market while still too small to ably control them, thus creaming innocent bystanders and toppling displays upon themselves or others.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You guys really should see that new AAA promo spot running on TV. Saw it after logging off here last night, and I thought about this thread. That commercial is so funny--two guys pushing shopping cars in a supermarket, acting as though they are in a demolition derby and occasionally racing on a track. Funny stuff.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
A while ago, someone (who will remain nameless) created a thread in which he professed his dislike for... cats. The title was "Cats are evil!" or something of the sort. That thread was promptly closed because many cat lovers and owners were offended. While I do not wish this thread to be closed, I certainly find that interesting.

--

Holadem

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
As I type, my little buddy Attila is peering over my shoulders from atop his scratching tower. Not sure what the connection is, Holadem--but I think I know what you're saying. Just posting a nasty diatribe about cats is bound to offend the many cat lovers here at HTF (we don't "own" cats, as cats are free citizens). This thread wasn't intended as a rant against children per se. It was a rant against people who let their children behave wildly in public places. That some of us are not particularly comfortable with kids is a moot point.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Am I safe in assuming that people can diss cockroaches to their hearts' content without offending anyone? :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There may be entymologists who are members of HTF, Robert. Be careful what you say about cockroaches.

(By the way, I saved a spider from certain death last night at the hands of Attila. Took the spider outside, where he could be among friends. Attila found other things to amuse himself.)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I have now seen the error of my ways.
If I ever see a cockroach careening around out of control in my kitchen I will let it be and be content knowing how much fun it's having.
I urge everyone to do the same.
BTW, I wonder how much the HTF has slowed down since last Friday due solely to the huge computational load caused by my getting put on thousands of ignore lists...
;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dunno 'bout that, Julie, but I've put in what seems like hours just keeping things orderly in here--and, no doubt, resulting in my name being inserted into who knows how many "ignore" lists, as well. Can't please everyone, no matter how hard you try.

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
Well, as a longtime lurker, I will never put either Jack or Julie K in my ignore list. I often find them both to be amusing and/or wise.

I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to start a rant thread about humorless parents?

(kidding. REALLY.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Let's expand the parameters of this topic (the location of unruly half-pints that is)......
What about kids running wild in other places? I would guess the local Wal-Mart would be a breeding ground for such activity....don't you? W-Mart has full-sized carts, just like the supermarkets. So, I would assume, the same Indy 500 races are taking place there. Could indeed be quite dangerous! Would stop lights at the aisle intersections do any good, ya think? With "Wal-Mart or Kroger Police" assigned to protect the innocent shopper? Nah, I doubt it ..... Those little punks would be bailed out in a heartbeat and RIGHT BACK ON THE STREETS of their favorite Daytona Speedway Wal-Mart or Target....free to terrorize the innocent bystander once more!!
Oh, the humanities! :):):):)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Jack, the only reason I'd put you on my ignore list is if you keep posting every 2nd message! Just kidding! :D
I'd agree that Wal-mart is the hellspawn of supermarkets. Where else can you buy spermicide, pregnancy-test kits, shotguns, rat poison, pacifiers, baby clothing, and Barbie Dolls? Oh and you can do your own price-checks with the handy bar-code scanners down every other aisle!
On a more serious note, it is interesting how people will hate something: be it kids, widescreen, skin colour, gender, or ideology...yet certain circumstances will cause them to change their minds. A man/woman who hates children can have a sudden change of heart when they meet their perfect match. A bigot can change his tune when he befriends a person of the hated denomination (just watch the documentary, "Promises", for an example).
Eh, people change. Big deal. :)
As for supermarket insanity, and why we can't live without them, I'll leave you with these immortal words:
"Give me convenience or give me death!"

Julie K

Screenwriter
Eh, people change. Big deal.
Eh, I'm more likely to become a firm believer in the supernatural than to want a kid. :)
I've known since my earliest memories that I didn't want kids. Some people are just like that and no amount of lust can change that.
And just for semantics sake, I don't hate kids (nor loathe or dispise). I don't like them. Hate, despising, and loathing are reserved for far more serious things that little (those who are keeping lists get ready!) shrieklings running wild.
BTW, here's a good article on subject. Note: I did not write it. I think the author summed up the reasons this is happening quite well.
Your Kids Are Driving Me Crazy

Kevin P

Screenwriter
A man/woman who hates children can have a sudden change of heart when they meet their perfect match.
That's funny... I found my perfect match, have been happily married for almost 5 years and I still don't want kids. After all, if she wanted kids, she wouldn't be my perfect match now, would she?
Shrieklings... I like that one! I tend to use rugrats, that that's an old overused one. I'm going to compile a list, and maybe use a few!
To this day, my favorite description of an unruly child comes from Daffy Duck. After marrying a rich widowed duck (for the money of course) and then discovering that she had a shriekling, er, duckling ;), she tells him "Oh that's my son, Wentworth. Don't you think he's kinda CUTE!!??" Daffy's response: "Yeah, cute like a stomach pump!" :)

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I think that a lot of the knee jerk reactions from parents come from the fact that there are a lot of people out there that like to do “back seat parenting” whenever they see somebody with kids. I’m sure everybody here who’s a parent has gotten an inappropriate or hurtful remark from a stranger when their kids are doing nothing wrong. It rolls off of my back, but I’ve seen my wife reduced to tears due to the insensitivity of some of these people.

There’s nothing wrong with choosing to go child-free, but some take it to the next level and villify anybody who is a parent. I don’t think that is what is happening in this thread…not by a long shot…but because of this a lot of parents feel on the defensive sometimes, and in this thread some of us overreacted.

(edited as per James's suggestion below)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Child-free is the term I prefer. Child-less connotes a sad situation in which someone wants a child but cannot have one for whatever reason.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You should learn to know and understand the Ways of the Cat, Jenna. You'd be amazed at how much that can change you.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
You should learn to know and understand the Ways of the Cat, Jenna. You'd be amazed at how much that can change you.
Mr. Briggs, are you claiming to comprehend the mysterious ways of our feline friends? How naive do think we are? You may as well claim to have figured out the fairer sex. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks