The Latest Supermarket Insanity

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Julie K, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Warning: What follows is a rant. Read at your own risk and remember that Julie K is decidedly child-unfriendly...

I've been peeved about those little kiddie-carts in the supermarket for a long time. For those of you lucky enough to be in a kiddie-cart-free zone, they are small kid sized carts. Typically kidlet pushes one around wildly while braindead parent watches with vacant staring eyes. I've lost track of how many times I've almost been hit.

But then the Albertsons near me has gone one better. They now have what used to be full-sized carts now extended by more than half again its length by a plastic car stuck on the front. This 'car' has a seat for the kids. These things are the "Ford Expedition" of grocery carts.

But that's not the worst. I first saw them being used by a couple with two kids. Naturally the kids couldn't share so each parent pushed a monster sized cart around with one kid in each one.

But wait! The insanity came about when the parents started racing these things around the store while making car-racing type noises. Squeals of glee from the spawn simply made these alleged adults run faster. Supermarkets have somehow become amusement parks and shopping carts turned into bumper cars.

It's all over. I might as well just go jump off a cliff right now.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    [​IMG] We have all of those over here too.. Although I haven't witnessed any "Grand Prix of SuperFresh" over here, I tend to do my shopping either very early mornings or very late at night.
    Just tell the LAPD to start patrolling the local grocery stores. [​IMG]
    Jay

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've not seen these type of carts, though we do have two sizes: a normal and and biggie-sized cart. I've not had any problems with small kids nearly running over me. Even so, they'd be the ones getting hurt (since I"m bigger).
    As for the parents zooming their kids around the store, were they in your way? Otherwise, sounds like fun [​IMG] Haven't you ever played in a grocery store, rode in a cart while a friend pushed, or juggled the produce, or asked random people where to find leeks?
    Just think, if you've got the luxury of being annoyed by parents playing with their kids, then life is good [​IMG]

4. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    When I'm old, I'm going to have my daughter push me around in one of those.

5. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

ROFLMAO.... never seen those around here.... That be a good reason to hit the supermarket at 3am... the little kiddies will be asleep [​IMG]

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You have me laughing out loud here, Julie! Loved the post! With a suitable delivery style you could be a new version of W.C. Fields. [​IMG]

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Glad my wife does all the shopping.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

in general I'm amazed by the lack of control parents today exert over their children, either i'm just getting older and crankier, or they let their children run wild pretty much everywhere.
    In fact, last night I was leaving my apartment, and some neighbors had left their small toddler running around the parking lot behind the parked cars while they were coming in the building, they were busy trying to coax the little kid to follow (wasn't happening) the "mother" actually had the nerve to blurt out "don't hit her" as I walked by, mind you she doesn't know which car is mine, nor am I anywhere near my car, still at the front door. WTF can't your little bastard play in the large grass field 5 feet out the door and not the damn parking lot [​IMG]
    she obviously understands that parking lots are dangerous for someone under 2 feet tall, why the hell would you let her run around out there to begin with?
    we have said carts here too, only most families have like 4 children, some with the big car thingys and some RUNNING around as fast as they can with a small cart ramming into shit.

10. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Robert,
    Glad to make you laugh. Annoyance seems to bring out the best in me [​IMG]

11. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I personally can't wait until my daughter is big enough for the "Car Cart." Varoom varoom!

12. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I bet that 99.9% of the 'adults' in the forum would have had a grand time with mini-shopping carts if they were available when they were kids.

I really don't understand why so many people are kid-unfriendly. Especially considering we were all kids at one point in time.

Kids are kids and kids are supposed to be kids. Why do people expect kids to act like adults? (Depends on age)

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Shawn,

I don't expect kids to act like adults, but I do expect adults to act like adults.

Do people really consider running in a grocery store to be acceptable behavior? When did this happen? When I was a disgusting snot-nosed little drooler I was taught to be very quiet, calm, and careful in public places.

14. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

16. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

17. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

18. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer