What's new

The Kids Are Alright??? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The restoration, the extras, bonus footage, all of this is very cool. THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT is one of my most anticipated DVD's and I'm tremendously glad that it's being done in a manner that meets the expectations we all have for it. Fantastic work, John!

If ideas for extras are being solicited, one obvious one comes to mind: a commentary track with Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, or (if the film seems to speak for itself) just a generalized new interview with them (together or individually). Of course, any archival interview footage of John or Keith would also be very welcome. The fact that extras and bonus footage are being sourced satisfies me that this disc will be the best that it can possibly be, so I again want to wish John good luck with it. I'll keep an eye on the website too, John.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
If ideas for extras are being solicited, one obvious one comes to mind: a commentary track with Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, or (if the film seems to speak for itself) just a generalized new interview with them (together or individually).
Roger Daltrey just recently moved to Los Angeles so perhaps a commentary wouldn't be too inconvenient to schedule in?

Jeff

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Thanks for this thread everybody. This thread motivated me to watch “The Kids are Alright” on Trio the other night. This film is a “must see” for all The Who fans. The concert and interview clips brilliantly capture the essence and spirit of the group and the times. As Pete Townsend said, the group was not glamorous like some of the other top groups at that time … they were the blue collar, hard working group that relied on a heavy physical on-stage presence to be noticed.

Here was a group who was always over shadowed by the other top groups (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin) but still had Hall of Fame staying power and seemed to get better and more popular as time passed. For example, their performance at Woodstock was panned by many, but by the mid 1970s, they were considered one of if not the top live rock n roll bands. Everyone knows the members did not always get along, but somehow they managed to stay and work hard together and have fun in the process. This DVD will definitely be at the top of my list.

P.S. This thread also motivated me to see The Who perform last night in Columbus. It was well worth the time and money.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I spent many friday and saturday night watching it at Midnight showings in the early 80s...
Be great if it sounded like it should
Please keep the "kids are alright from the LD"
Just an Idea here.
I would not want to change the Jeff Stein film at all. But there are places where you get a snipet of a performance instead of the full thing.
How about putting an icon in a corner where if you click on it, you go to the full performance??

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I just read this on petetownshend.co.uk. It's one of Matt's diary entries from the current Who tour:
"It's been a really busy leg so far. After the emotional strains and intensity of Las Vegas the next two shows almost seem a blur to me. In between the shows I fitted in some other business; checking out the production of the Encore CD's and getting a sneak peek at some of the restoration work that's going on with the Kids Are Alright movie. It looks WONDERFUL. The difference is like night and day. The guys there are doing such a great job and I'm sure the release is going to be well received. There's quite a few more months work to go into it but it'll be well worth the wait."
Note the ref. to the Kids Are Alright....
Link Removed
N

John_Alb

Auditioning
Hello to all of you who have been Patiently waiting for updates to The Kid’s Are Alright. The picture and audio is completed and fully restored as much as it can be. It’s truly remarkable and I am very proud of the way it all came out. I am working on so many extra features right now that it is difficult to keep everyone updated. However,
http://www.thekidsarealright.com sight has a lot of information in the “post production logs” section that may give you a better Idea where I am at. I have been getting a great deal of e-mail asking for a DVD release of just the restored show and no extras to satisfy the thirst that seems to be out there. That is a possibility I am considering given the fact that within the past few weeks I have discovered a few remarkable items to be used on the second disc that wouldn’t be ready for two more months. We’ll see. Feel free to write me on the site for quicker responses. Thanks!
John Albarian
http://www.thekidsarealright.com http://www.thekidsarealright.com

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Thanks for taking the time to reply John. After I posted I did go and visit the Website and I can see you guys have been busy. I look forward to owning what sounds like a great DVD.

Regards, Neil

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Dave - oi... that pun hadn't occurred to me until you referenced it. I shudder to think of how many other DVD sites will think of it when the disc streets.

John Albarian - all the restoration details sound cool, but it seems a bit odd to push for an immediate show-only disc release, sans extras, when the other extras you've located will be ready at your estimation in 8 weeks or so. Two months isn't that much of a wait, and I'd prefer to get the full extent of your efforts in one purchase rather than having a second, fuller edition solicited to me down the track.

On top of that - and this is just hypothetical speculation - given the controversy Pete Townshend unfortunately finds himself in at the moment, could Pioneer be guaranteed to stand by two different DVD editions of THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT (one bare bones, the other loaded) now that The Who's fanbase is perceivably slightly less robust than it was a fortnight ago? I'm not speaking for myself here, I'm more simply trying to anticipate an argument (however crazed) that some corporate bean-counter could offer at a critical juncture when push came to shove. Please don't let the chance of an extensive KIDS ARE ALRIGHT special edition be swept under the carpet in exchange for a bare-bones release. The 2-DVD edition you've been mooting sounds wonderful, and I'd love to see it available. Two or three months is no real wait at all for something like this, so please go with the fully loaded edition.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
John,

A text version of the very cool weblog you created about the making of the DVD would be a fantasic special feature IMO. Or the HTML from the web site as DVD-ROM content.

John_Alb

Auditioning
ANTHONY - Yes I've heard em all now. Your posting was hilarious, thanks! I needed a good laugh. We'll see what happens with the two versions idea.
PHILIP - Great Idea! I think I just might do that.
THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE FOR ALL OF THE HELP!
:D

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
SEPT 30
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
DVD FEATURES (SPECIAL EDITION)
. Roger Daltrey - An incredible new on-camera interview from this living
legend.
. Interactive Interview & Commentary by Director Jeff Stein
. Multi Camera Angles - An extremely rare feature that is almost 100 minutes and featuring as many as 6 angles including a Pete cam, a Roger cam, a Moonie cam and an Ox cam.
. Making of the DVD - 40-minute feature offering an in-depth look at how the film was restored.
. Audio Comparison - This 8 minute feature provides a direct side-by-side comparison of the before and after audio.
. Video Comparison - This 6 minute feature provides a direct side-by-side comparison of the before and after so people can see what they've been missing all these 24 years!
. The Ox - A very special audio feature allowing the user to select an
isolated audio track of legendary bassist John Entwistle.
. The Who's London - An interactive feature offering the viewer a video tour of Who landmarks.
. Trivia Games - Questions to test your knowledge with a prize of a newly remixed 5.1 rendering of the album version of "Who Are You" playing a video light/slide show and a long lost recording of Ringo Starr.
. English Subtitles - Figuring out the lyrics the band is singing is one
thing, but deciphering what they say while screaming over each other is a whole other puzzle.
MSRP: $24.98.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Oh my!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks