What's new

The HTF Weight Loss Support Group (1 Viewer)

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
5'6" and 170lbs and 34 years old.
I'm jumping in with both feet as well.
I started jogging tonight. My goal is to drop 25-30lbs of unsightly blubber :thumbsdown: and gain 10lbs of muscle.:emoji_thumbsup: I've heard 2-3 lbs a week is a reasonable goal. I have a really good home gym and I'm pulling it out of storage tommorow.
Today is August 1. Nov 1 is my goalpost. Keep up the good work people!!

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I've seen this thread floating around here and there and decided to check it out. Although I only read the first page so far, I'll read more each day... 9 pages is a lot when you're at work :)
Here's my deal. I'm 29, 5'9" and weigh 197lbs as of this morning. My weight was as high as 207lbs. Back in high school, I weighed 165lbs, was totally ripped and could bench press ~300lbs.
Then came college and the abuse I've done to my body over the last 10 years. I started smoking, excersised less, drank more beer, and ate tons of junk food. It really didn't affect me much the first year or so, since I had an incrediably high metabolism. Going back to high school and before that, I could eat 6 cheeseburgers in one sitting (no lie!!!) and not worry about gaining any weight... I miss those days :frowning:
Anyway, I've decided I have abused my body long enough, and if I want to reduce any health related problems in my future, I need to do something about it now. I'll be quitting smoking in September, but I'm getting in shape first so I don't gain even more wieght when I quit. I have a Total Gym I work out on 2 to 3 times a week and I've changed my diet. I usually eat fruit and a healthy breakfast bar in the morning, turkey or roast beef sandwhiches for lunch (I use mustard instead of mayo w/ turkey, and vinegar with the roast beef), and have healthy dinners for the most part.
I also started taking Xenadrine 2 weeks ago. I lost 3 pounds the first week, but a long weekend of golf, pizza, and lots of beer put 2 pounds back, which I lost again. I'm not sure I want to stay on this since I've been hearing reports of it's dangers on the news...
Anyway, I'll frequent this thread as much as I can and post my results. Guess I'll have a look see at the quit smoking thread too (can't remember if I made a post there or not). If you made it this far, thanks for reading :) And for those folks that have lost wieght, congrats! I hope to join your ranks soon!
Mike D.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Yeah! New "recruits"!
That's a sloooooooow microwave you got there Michael. ;) Cafeterias aren't so bad if you buy the right things. My cafeteria sells salads, fruit plates, and cold cut sandwiches. I just order my sandwich with no bread. She usually gives me extra meat to compensate.
Wayne - Yep...2-3 pounds per week is very reasonable.
Mike__D - Wow! Quitting smoking and losing weight at the same time! I'm impressed man. :emoji_thumbsup: Luckily my only vise has been overeating. Stay strong. I won't tell you how to do it, but personally I'd quit smoking first and put up with a little weight gain. That's a tough habit to break (so I hear) and you might just need food to get you through it. ;) Also, after a few months of being smoke free your lungs will probably be able to take make better use of the oxygen during cardio workouts and you won't feel so "winded." Then once you've beat that habit you can move on to losing the weight (which is really quite easy in comparison...I'd say). It's really up to you though, and you know yourself better. If it's something you really want and you've set your mind to it, then you really can accomplish anything. (That was the key to my weight loss beginnings. I reached the point were I just really really wanted to lose the weight. That gave me the willpower to put up with and overcome the cravings.)

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I started trying to do weight loss by dieting, I found out pretty soon that this was never going to happen. Therefore I just started doing exercises and weight lifting.

In the morning I do 60 situps, 30 butterfly curls, 30 benchpresses, 35 arm curls. I haven't noticed any actual weight loss but my stomach is a lot flatter and my bicep size has increased a whole inch.

Maybe I am not noticing actual weight loss because I am gaining muscle?

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I've been following this thread for a while so I should probably speak up. I've been periodically working out over the past few months but lately, I've been really working to be consistant. I spend 30 minutes a day on a home eliptical trainer and do a bit of light weight training. I've also cut out a lot of junk and fast food. I'm still going to try to improve my diet more but I'm still learning what I should and shouldn't eat. I am drinking a lot more water now but I still end up drinking one or two cans of pop also. Anyway, I'm 6'2" and I think I am around 245 or so. I don't actually own a scale so I definately am going to pick one up so I can track my progress. My goal is 210 by the end of the year. I'll keep you all posted.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Time for me to jump in here. About 2 months ago I reached the point where I said "enough".

I am 5'11" and weighed 235lbs. My choesterol was 238, triglicerides 178. Now after 2 months of running 3-5 miles daily(started at 1 mile and nearly threw up afterward) and watching what I eat(no fastfood, bar food) I have lost 28lbs and my chol is 177 and trig are 55. The most important thing is I feel GREAT, much more energy. I actully crave the run every evening.

Though my new son has been the biggest reason for this new healthy lifestyle, this thread is read daily because all the success stories here motivate me.

Thanks guys.

Lets keep up the good work.

Earle

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Wow! Quitting smoking and losing weight at the same time! I'm impressed man.
Bill,
Don't be impressed yet! I have tried quitting smoking numerous times, hardest thing I ever did, but that's getting off topic.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! My scale says I lost another pound, so I'm down to 196lbs, that's 4lbs since I started. I'm not sure which contributed more, my slight diet changes & excersise, or taking the Xenadrine. But, today I decided to stop taking the Xenadrine. After seeing TV reports and talking with my sister, I decided not to risk it. 2-3 years ago I lost over 20lbs by excersisng and eating right, so I can do it again. And this time I won't stop and gain it back!
EarleD
28lbs... nice!! :emoji_thumbsup:
Mike D.

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Uggg, bad weekend.

Started on Friday when I went out to play nine w/ my dad. It was so hot here we took a cart instead of walking and I didn't get as much exercise as I should've. Then of course we had to go to the 19th hole for a while. A few beers later we're going out to dinner at a hamburger joint where I had burger AND fries. Just a bad day.

Of course that wasn't the end of it, Saturday night a friend of mine decides to have a party. Me being the one who can ever say no to a good party (and it was, had a good time) went and ate and drank to much again. I feel as though I gained back almost everything I lost but couldn't bring myself to step on the scale this morning.

I did much better yesterday eating a bagel (no cream cheese), some celery and wing sauce (make my own with different types of hot sauces, barely ANY calories), A four ounce steak w/ baked potato (no butter) and some green beans and a salad with a little light Italian dressing for dinner.

Had a banana for breakfast and will be having a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch. Not sure yet about dinner, but probably garlic grilled chicken (lean cuisine bag for two, perfect for me and my g/f.) Back on the wagon. Okay, time to get more water, mmmmm, water.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Chris - What kind of diet changes are you going for? Low-fat? Low-carb? Or just low-calorie? From the looks of your menu I can't really tell. If you're going the low-calorie way (or even Weight Watcher's point system) then you should be religiously counting those calories (or points) and tracking them closely. If you're going for low-carb then you need to cut out bagels (and all breads) and potatoes (and beer ;) ). If it's a low-fat diet then that steak isn't doing you any good. What's your plan? (Personally I highly recommend a low-carb diet, but it's really an individual choice. Your mileage may vary.)
Last week I finally went and bought a new pair of jeans. I went from a size 40" waist to a size 36". Yeah! I need to take some of my slacks into a tailor to be taken in too. And now all my XXL t-shirts are uncomfortably baggy.
I still can't properly weigh myself at the gym. The scale is still broken, and even though I notified someone about it, nothing has been done. They do keep relocating it though. :rolleyes:Maybe I'll talk to a trainer about it. I'm sure they're pretty upset that it's not working yet...since they obviously need it for their job.

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I'm doing a Low Cal (similar to the Point system, which is just a way to count calories).

I did a low carb diet for a while and it worked somewhat but I didn't feel real good on it. I've tried the low fat and didn't lose any weight. I think that all of those diets just trick you body into burning more calories than you consume.

Engineering standpoint - If you burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight. If you consume more than you burn you gain. Low Carb, Low Fat are just ways to either A) make you burn more calories at rest and during activities or B) a way to get you to eat less calories without realizing you're doing it.

Calorie count for yesterday:

Bagel = 200 calories (tops)

Celery w/ sauce 0 calories (okay maybe 10 but I doubt it)

Steak 6 oz 350 calories (I had between 4 and 6 so lets go with the larger)

Beans - 50 (tops) calories

Salad - 50 calories

dressing 50 calories

potato - 115 w/o skin but I ate the skin so i'll add another 50 so 165

Total for the day = 875. Now even if I'm a bit low on the Calorie count, I ate very few calories yesterday. I may have even eaten too few and perhaps thats why I feel a bit sluggish today but I felt so bad from Fri and Sat I felt as though I had to make up for it some. Total points

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Engineering standpoint - If you burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight. If you consume more than you burn you gain. Low Carb, Low Fat are just ways to either A) make you burn more calories at rest and during activities or B) a way to get you to eat less calories without realizing you're doing it.
That's assuming our bodies are like a machine. ;) But this "machine" also has an endocrine system that can make burning reserved energy more difficult if you eat foods that cause the production of fat-storing chemicals. An inefficient body will not burn fat even if you're spending more calories than you consume. After you burn off the calories you ate for the day you'll just feel run down and tired if you can't tap into that stored energy. (One such chemical that actually prevents the burning of fat is insulin...released by the body when you eat sugars and carbohydrates.)
Of course everybody's body is different, that's why there's no such thing as a "one size fits all" diet plan. At least you have a plan and that's what counts. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I was REAL bad over this weekend. Had too much pizza Friday night, Saturday I had 1 brick of Ellios pizza for lunch, then went to an Italian restraunt at night and pigged out, Sunday went to a party and had some polish food (cabbage wrapped around rice & meat, was pretty good), meatball sandwhich, maccoroni salad, few beers. Later than night had leftovers from Sat. nights dinner. Oh, and ZERO excersise. This is what happens when I go to my girlfriends house :frowning:
I'm good during the week, but the weekends kill me. I have no plan, and it's hard to really get one going. I'm either down the shore, at my girl's house, or somewhere else. And healthy food is never easy to come by...
Speaking of plans, I don't have one, just eat healthy and lose weight. I guess maybe I need one.
Mike D.

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps if we have to admit the times we are bad in a public forum such as this, we won't be bad as often? Maybe? Anyone? Buller?

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
"Cheating" occasionally isn't bad. In fact, most diet programs suggest that you take a day once a week and just eat whatever you want (within reason of course...not 3 square meals of cake and cookies). In fact, I don't really see how taking an occasional "break" is going to hurt anything, as long as you know it's just a "break" and that you'll be going back into your regular diet afterwards. I think it helps to keep us from losing interest.
Also, a few months ago I went on a 3 day "break" while my wife was having the baby. It didn't do any harm to my weight loss, and it really gave me quite a bit of encouragement because I realized that I really didn't miss the things I was giving up. In fact, I actually felt physically ill from eating some of the high-carb food I was eating. It made going back to my low-carb diet much easier.
I still give myself a treat once a week. But I've found that I've become much more picky about what treat I'll eat. Last week I passed up strawberry cheesecake and root beer floats because I was holding out for something better. I didn't want to have some lame root beer float and find out I couldn't have a Krispy Kreme donut because I already had my "one treat." :D
The key to any successful diet is moderation. Even cheating is good in moderation.

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The key to any successfull diet is moderation. Even cheating is good in moderation.
And I agree completely! But when I'm bad for a whole weekend, I didn't cheat in moderation.
My problem would be if it's my "cheat" day, and I had a root beer float, I'll say, hell I've already been bad today, why not have the donut too? :D

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
My suggestion for cardio exercise is to play/pick up an active sport. Basketball, tennis, soccer, rollerblading, ice hockey... ect. Find something you enjoy and youll have fun without even realizing what a workout your getting.
Dont forget to join a league, preferably with a friend or two. By paying money to join, youll be that much more likely to stick with it!:D

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Hi guys,
I slacked a little this week with my eating habits, damn chocalate chip cookies. but managed to lose 2 pounds. This brings my total loss to 30lbs :D
I still run everyday and have added situps to my daily routine. I really hate doing situps. Hopefully they make a difference fairly quickly. I still want to lose another 10-15lbs and tighten my abs any ideas other than situps?
How was everyone elses week so far??

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I let myself "cheat" Monday night. We went to visit some extended family and they had chocolate chip cookies and cake. I had a couple cookies and a small slice of cake. That was my "allowed cheat." :D
EarleD - Do you do situps or crunches? You might like crunches better and they're just as effective. Just start doing a situp, but just as your shoulder blades leave the ground, relax instead of going all the way up. You're just lifting your upper back and shoulders off the ground instead of your entire back. It's also easier on the tail bone. You'll find that you'll need to do more of them though to feel the same burn.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Well, since I stopped taking the Xenadrine, I gained about 2 pounds. I usually weigh myself in the morning, and sometimes at night. Usually I'm 1 to 2 pounds more at night, but today, I weighed 198lbs in the morning and 197.5lbs tonight. I usually weigh myself 3 times and my scale seems to be pretty accurate.

I even cheated today and had an Italian hoagie for lunch. But, I also got on my bike today and rode for about 30-45 minutes, then worked out after, so I'm guessing that might have helped keep the night time pounds off??

Anyway, I plan to ride my bike 4-5 days a week, and use my Total Gym 3 times a week, and continue with my moderate diet. Hopefully in a month I'll start to see some results, I'd like to be in the low 190's by Sep., not sure if that's realistic or not.

Mike D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks