What's new

The HTF Weight Loss Support Group (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Weigh in today: 206#, down 3# from last week (which I'm very happy about), for a total loss of 34# now. :)
And I'd just like to say that if there is anybody who started participating in this thread and started their own weight loss program, but hasn't had as much success as they hoped, I still appreciate your participation. I appreciate everybody who has participated here, whether it be joining in, sharing advice, or sharing their weight loss stories. It has really helped me tremendously, and for that I am very grateful.
Thanks everybody! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Good job Bill!

I haven't chimmed in for about a month... After really getting into, I got sick and that put me off for a while. I haven't excersised in about 4 weeks, but I have been in the low 190's, just like I wanted. Right now my focus is on quitting smoking. On day 2 and going well. I posted about this in the quit smoking thread.

I'll soon get back into losing weight, but figured I'd better focus on one thing at a time.

Mike D.

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent Bill! It is amazing how good it feels personally and how good it makes me feel for others to experience it.
My weight today was 223#'s. This brings the grand total to 47#'s lost. Only three pounds from my original goal. I have changed my goal to 210-215 pounds. I feel pretty confident now that I can do it. Starting out with a goal of over 50 pounds would have seemed impossible but now I know I can do it.
I have started adding a little abdominal work to my routine. I am sore from it but I think it will be a nice addition to my workouts. I use one of those ab roller type things. I like it because you do not tire out your back and kneck before your abs. Also once your abs get tired you can "spot" yourself by helping with your arms.
Good luck to everyone. If I can do it, anyone can do it. :emoji_thumbsup:
Mike, I know what you mean. My next goal is to quit dipping snuff. This habit is no better than smoking and just as tough to quit. I also did not feel like I could do both at once so I'm going to get my weight where I want it and go from there.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, weigh-in today is at 244, which means within the past three weeks I've lost 9.5 lbs! I've been sticking to my nutrition and workout plan (doing the Body-For-Life program -- and yup, I entered the contest as well) religiously (minus a day or two for being too tired to wake up at 6:30 a.m.)

So, at the current rate I'm at I should be down to 229 come my birthday in October. During the last two weeks before my b-day I'm going to up the frequency of my cardio to lose those few extra lbs.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Well, I was 210 on Aug 23 and I'm 200 today.

I've also gone from averaging 17mph on a 20 - 25 mile bicycle ride to around 19mph 25 - 35 mile rides.

My recovery time is greatly improved and I'm not trashed in the evenings after exercising now. That's good because for a while, I was too tired to watch any DVDs.

I still want to get to 185 lbs and 20+ avg speeds.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Nice Andrew! That's a great average speed too! Wish I was that fast on my rides, which I haven't done in a while.

I'm happy to report I still remain in the low 190's after a successful week of not smoking. I was afraid I'd gain weight, but my appeteite has not changed. I think it's now time to get back into weight loss, the smoking thing is going about 100 times easier than I thought it would!

Mike D.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Low-Carb Diet Deemed Safe over Short Term
The current study is based on results from 53 obese women, half of whom were asked to follow the LCHP diet, in which less than 10% of their calories came from carbohydrates. The rest of the women followed a standard low-fat diet, in which fat made up only 30% of their total calories. Both groups consumed the same number of calories each day.
After 6 months, Brehm and her colleagues found that women on the LCHP diet lost 10 more pounds of body weight and 6 more pounds of body fat than did those following the low-fat diet. Blood pressure and blood sugar levels--which can indicate increased risk for cardiovascular disease--were within normal ranges for both groups.
(LCHP = Low carb high protein)
Note that both diets have the same calories, proving once again that reducing calories isn't the whole story...

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Maybe this has been asked somewhere else but can't you go to the Doctor and get a set of pills for weight loss. I hate to say movies are real and all that but Requiem for a Dream the mother took some pills and they helped, and I doubt everyone goes bonkers and has a bad doctor that doesn't notice it. Can I go to the doctor and ask for these? Are there such things?

Thanks

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, guys, my weigh-in today is 228!! I'm down to 228 from 253 back on September 1st. That means that since September of last year when I weighed 274, I've lost 46 lbs!!
Only 28 more lbs. to go until I reach my goal of 200 by the end of January. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Chad - There are all kinds of pills someone can take, but what does that do to help you keep it off? Ok, I'll answer...nothing. You might lose the weight, but unless you learn to eat right (which is what proper dieting should do) you'll put it all right back on as soon as you stop taking the pills. Plus, there is and has always been a great deal of risk surrounding diet pills.
I'm happy to report that I have broken the 200# mark. I weighed in at 197 earlier this week. So that makes it a 43# loss. Actually, I've been weighing in at that mark for a couple weeks now. I'm only 5 or so lbs away from my "ideal" weight and I'm finding it very difficult to lose that last little bit. Probably because for the past month I haven't been to the gym as much. I had a period of illness then just general laziness and fatigue. It was just way too hard to get up. I have been at least once a week, but never 3 times a week. So I have recommitted myself to going 5 times/week. I have a goal of "killer abs" by Christmas. At my current rate I probably won't meet it, but I'm still trying. I hope to at least continue to lose 1#/week during this month.
I'm still following my low-carb diet and still feel great. In fact, over the 4 day Thanksgiving weekend I let myself cheat. I basically started eating the way I used to eat, allowing myself to dip into the pie whenever I wanted to and ate bread, potatoes, etc. And man did I feel ill all weekend. I felt bloated and had some major gastro-intestinal discomfort (if you know what I mean). I couldn't wait to come back home and get away from all that junk and start eating right again. ;)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's something...
Is White Rice from your average Chinese Resturaunt, with no soy sauce or anything all over it, good for you? They where giving out weight tips after discussing the Atkins diet on the radio, and mentioned a few obvious no nos, like Diet Soda. But they also mentioned White Rice.
I would have thought this was good for you. If you beleive the stereo type, since you don't see many fat Asian people, if they eat nothing but rice all the time, you'd think it is good to have. ;).

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I just read the last few threads, but for everyone in "the program" I say keep it up.
Heres my story and some advice,
I was about 220lbs. So I went on a diet,lost 50lbs ,down to 170lbs. Yay huh? Well...No...
Not considering I lost a considerable amount of muscle and even at 170lbs still had a gut. (I am about 5'10, 170lbs would be ideal)
So, 6 months into the gym, I have put on 20lbs = 190lbs. Still have the same size 'gut' but look a helluva lot better than I did at 170lbs. I know I could lose the gut if I wanted to do some aerobics, but for now I don't do any.
So, just remember to diet in a safe matter. If you starve yourself, the body will go into a "starvation" mode and basically burn the muscle for energy it needs & keep the fat. I am also a firm believer on the low carb/high protein diet,not based on any reports/doctors/etc but from experience. I drink 3-5 protein shakes a day. Each shake has 30 grams of protein/5 grams carbs/1 gram fat. While I am not saying live off of this shake, its an easy way to get nutrition you need. I say stay away from Slim-Fast, if you look at how high the sugar content is its a wonder anyone can lose any weight.
Also, don't deprive yourself of some "FOOD" every now and again. Get a pizza,goto McD's,!EAT!.....but also remember that this kind of food got you here in the first place.
I hate to sound like I am preaching, but I hate 'crash' diets where the goal is too lose weight fast. It takes time.
When I do go on my actual 'weight-loss' program. I will report back with results. I am waiting till after the holidays :D

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I have been dieting since September and am currently down a tad over 55lbs. My approach is a low cal diet (about 1200 calories/day) with aerobic exercise (treadmill, stairmaster, walking, etc) for 2-3 hours a day. I eat normal food but pick low cal items and limit the fat intake. I also take alot of supplements (vitamins and such) due to the low cal diet.

I agree you need to give yourself rewards to break the diet routine, however, burgers and pizza are dangerous routes to go. I hope to have a pizza cheat when I hit 60lbs of loss. I haven't had a burger since September and don't anticipate that cheat anytime soon. Getting a Subway was my first cheat and was highly enjoyable, although I now select from their low fat items and eat 6" subs, instead of 12". Good luck to all the others.

Kenneth

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that sumo wrestlers eat lots (tons!) of rice to keep their bulk up. Of course, they have a hell of a lot of muscle beneath the padding...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks