What's new

The Hobbit soundtrack. (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I recently read, for the first time, The Hobbit, in anticipation of the upcoming Lord of the Rings movie. My girlfriend has always been a huge fan of the Rankin-Bass film based on the book, and just got the recently released DVD. Earlier tonight, she came over and we watched it together. Until tonight, I'd never seen the film at all. She's seen it many times, but tonight was the first time she'd watched the DVD.
After it was over, she made a comment, something about "some of the sound effects missing." Searching the HTF, I found this thread, which mentions the exact same problem (look for John Garcia's post). Other than this brief mention, I've been able to find no other information with regards to this "altered" soundtrack. I would imagine that the HTF, of all places, would be all over any sort of alteration to this or any other movie. Does anyone have any idea what the deal is?

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
(Sorry I'm late, but the disc wasn't watched until after we gave it to my son for the holidays.)
Yes, there is a definite problem with missing sound effects and, as far as I can tell from the e-mails I've received from those who posted reviews, many (if not all) of the discs are defective. The problem isn't with only a few of the sound effects either. When compared to our old beat-up VHS copy, the DVD is missing most of the sound effects. When the weapons & drawn & used, nothing. When Smaug breathes fire, nothing. Horses hooves, being bound with chains, the cries of eagles, the howls of wolves, the list goes on, all nothing. Knowing that the sounds are missing is very distracting while watching the film and, for me anyway, made the viewing unpleasant.
We have defective discs that resulted from a production error, plain and simple. Warner Home Video should correct the disc immediately for all future runs (if they haven't already) and offer to exchange the defective discs already purchased.
:angry:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Noticed the same problem as was especially displeased.

Having listened to the double CD set over and over since childhood makes it hard to watch (listen to) the new DVD.

what can we do???

who do we write???

-dave

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
A good start would be a thread in "Feedback". I haven't boughtt his disc yet, but I have fond memories of the animated rendition of this classic tale. IIRC the Rankin/Bass "Hobbit" is very well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks