What's new

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) (2 Viewers)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
people using the word "rape' like this is trivializing real rape.

I say the more Tolkien movies, the better. As long as they stick to the lore, it is fine. if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Scott-S said:
people using the word "rape' like this is trivializing real rape.
I say the more Tolkien movies, the better. As long as they stick to the lore, it is fine. if you don't like it, don't watch it.
The word "rape" does not have a purely sexual connotation or meaning. It also means "to plunder". I have hardly used it inappropriately in my posts and my use of it does not trivialize its use in reference to sexual assault.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
Edwin-S said:
If the author had intended a bridge story between TH and LOTR then he would have wrote one himself.
Well, he never stopped working on this creation, so how can you judge his published works as comprehensive of his "author's intent?" Maybe he just died before he could finish everything. If you want to dismiss anything that wasn't published during his lifetime as mere "notes," then you'd have to toss out the entire Silmarillion. He clearly envisioned events for this time, and outlined those events. I see no reason to say that an adaptation of his notes is any less legitimate than adapting his published works. In fact, I think it could be even more fun for us die hard Tolkien fans, because there won't be a text to "rape." Annoying deviations from published works won't be an issue.
I want to see it made. I think it will be badass.
And then after that, I want to see a movie about Numenor and the 2nd Age, when Sauron was captured by the Numenorians and perverted their island kingdom. In fact, I read a really cool argument for such a project here: THE OPTIMAL LOTR PREQUEL MOVIE
And then the whole Silmarillion. We can keep moving backwards with prequels to the very beginning. That would rock.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I don't have a problem with it as long as they're fleshing out events that exist within the Tolkien time line.

If they're making up completely new events and things like that, then no, I'm not cool with it, but it's a film based on the back story Tolkien wrote about, then I'm fine with that.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Edwin-S said:
No. I'll believe what I believe and you can do the same for yourself. The second film is just Warner trying to squeeze one more loaf out of Tolkien's universe. Tolkien doesn't posthumously need Jackson and Del Toro attempting to create a seamless continuity between The Hobbit and LOTR.
I had to constantly read about the sanctity of "director's intent" in another thread. Well, I feel the same way about "author's intent". If the author had intended a bridge story between TH and LOTR then he would have wrote one himself. Now, you have a bunch of people who feel they have the right to create their own story based on Tolkien's notes? AFAIAC, that is a "rape" of Tolkien's work. You can believe otherwise.
Tolkien wrote a good bit of connective stories to bridge The Hobbit with LOTR. Some of it is in the Appendices; more of it is in Unfinished Tales (and yes, I know they do not have the film rights to this). But to assert that Tolkien himself did not feel the need to write connecting stories is simply wrong.
And yes, your use of the word "rape" the way you do trivializes it.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
I'm going to have to do a WHOLE lot of reserving judgment on the second film until I've seen it. I don't like the idea of making a "second" Hobbit film, even if it IS about bridging material between the Hobbit storyline and the LOTR films. But I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have making these films than del Toro and Jackson, whose judgment I trust implicitly, so......time to wait and see, I guess. Still hugely keyed up about seeing the first film, anyway....
cheers,
Phil

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Edwin-S said:
The word "rape" does not have a purely sexual connotation or meaning. It also means "to plunder". I have hardly used it inappropriately in my posts and my use of it does not trivialize its use in reference to sexual assault.
this just tells me you don't know what the word rape really means.
why not just say plundered instead?
If you're so violently opinionated on what is being done with these books to film,
then that's a shame, because you really don't need to be.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
'Hobbit' Script, Visualization, Casting Under Way - Movie News Story | MTV Movie News
Casting is still at a very early stage, but del Toro revealed that there's a very short list of names that he would like to see playing Bilbo Baggins.
"I can say safely, about four," he explained, but at this stage he has not talked with any of them.
"We make it a point not to talk to them — or any other actors that are not confirmed — because I think it's bad policy."
Lots more

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brett_M said:
Best part -- this fan comment:
"why isnt peter jaclson doing it ... i hope to new dude doesnt ruin it, coz i didnt like hellboy 2 or pans labrinth..."
He's probably more of a Cronos or The Devil's Backbone guy.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Brett_M said:
Best part -- this fan comment:
"why isnt peter jaclson doing it ... i hope to new dude doesnt ruin it, coz i didnt like hellboy 2 or pans labrinth..."
:laugh: "New dude". Priceless.

GarryVernne

Auditioning
Real Name
Garry Vernne
I have to agree I would love to see the Hobbit complete the set. As a book the Hobbit was my favorite, a teacher read it to us in grade six. I think I read it three times over the next few years. Yeah, I realize this makes me a dork!
Garry
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
garry, calling yourself one is like calling a great deal of the people in this thread a dork as well ;). c'mon people are just fans of his great work regardless of how obsessive or not they can be.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Got the March 09 Empire issue here in Glasgow with a cover issue about The Hobbit.
http://www.empireonline.com/magazine/
htf_imgcache_38487.gif

htf_imgcache_38487.gif
January is, statistically speaking, the most miserable of months. It’s cold, it’s dark, and Moira Stuart is forever banging on about paying your tax bill by the 31st, or Mr. Taxman will be round to cut off a pound, or three, of flesh.
So here at Empire, we feel it’s our duty to cheer you up – and what better way than by presenting to you our brand new issue, which should be hitting newsagent and supermarket shelves near you any… second… now.
Inside, you’ll find all kinds of cheery tonics, such as our horror overload, featuring Bruce Campbell, Freddy and Jason, the Wolfman’s Emily Blunt, and the Lesbian Vampire Killers, and our lovely look at the individuals who make up the Watchmen.
But pride of place – on our cover and in our hearts – is our big special on The Hobbit. What’s that, you say? It’s not even out for two years? Well, yes, but inside our special feature, you’ll find a one-stop shop of information on the films that may be the most anticipated of the next few years.

It's pretty good reading although if you have TOR bookmarked, you are not missing much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks