What's new

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014) (1 Viewer)

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
The Desolation of Smaug extended edition was a 15 rating over here (the theatrical release was a 12A), so I assume this one will be the same.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
The betting starts now for how many minutes until the first snarky comment along the lines of, "they're too long already." :)

I won't say that, as I liked the 3 Hobbit flicks, but I do find myself a little surprised at how much less enthusiastic I am about these compared to the LOTR films. Sometimes I think I like the Hobbit movies because I think I SHOULD like them more than because I do.

Sign that they don't interest me nearly as much: until this thread, I'd completely forgotten about the EE of the last Hobbit. In fact, I couldn't remember if it'd already come out or not!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Reading up on this one, it should be about 20 mins longer, but may also have some cuts from the theatrical or alterations of scenes, meaning closer to 30 mins of new / changed content.

In regards to the violence, if they have Beorn go to town on the orcs it could get quite violent indeed.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They are too long already.

I just thought I'd say that so anyone holding their breath for how long it would take for that to be said can start breathing again. :)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just watched the extended edition of The Battle of the Five Armies. It has improved a lot. I did not enjoy the original version but I did enjoy this version. The movie is still probably the weakest of the trilogy but without a doubt it is the most successful extended edition of the trilogy.

What they have done is that they have added back a lot of small details and personal action stuff. This makes the whole difference. Thinking it's only the overall story that is important and removing all the extra stuff was a great mistake. Seeing a computer generated 1000 CG models attack another 1000 computer generated models in wide shots is not exciting. It's all the small personal stuff that makes it interesting.

Overall it's a lot more satisfying. I recommend everyone to watch this version even if you didn't enjoy the original.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
The Extended Edition for sale on Vudu is completely missing the Appendices, despite the fact that the first 2 movies have them, and the iTunes version of BOTFA has them. I contacted Vudu about this and got their usual passing the buck response that they can only sell what the studios give them. Apparently the fact that the version in their inventory is missing a huge part of the value of the release, that is available from other retailers at the same price, does not concern them. I can't believe it was really Warner's intention to not offer the Appendices on the Vudu version. If so, it's beyond baffling.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bought it on iTunes and the baffling thing to me is that you can only stream the extras and you can't download them for offline viewing.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I bought this installment months ago and still haven't watched it. The imperative to watch this trilogy is completely absent, unlike how it was for LOTR.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As I said previously, watch the Extended Edition of The Battle of the Five Armies. It's a lot better than the theatrical cut.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes you have the theatrical cut. The Extended Edition was released only few days ago and only digitally. The Bluray is not out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks