What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
LoL - Yea. I understand the Rap genre is generally not well-received by most contributing to this thread. Maybe I'll start a separate thread to discuss it. Just kidding. I'll continue to share select songs here. Some will sample them. Others may not.

Rap is all about beats and poignant lyrics juxtaposed against the era [and area] in which the material was produced. I've learned to love certain "Rock," "Country" and even "Metal" songs for what they are. Some Rock songs contain excellent guitar work and energy. Same for some of the Metal selections. The older Country songs contain some great vocal prowess. The newer stuff has trended more towards "Pop" in my opinion but can still be appealing. Then there are the old classics of all genres such as the Johnny Cash and June Carter selection I posted earlier. For me, the beautiful thing about music is I don't have to pick and choose based on predefined genre rules. I'm free to love it across the board and grow as new [to me] material is presented.
That cartoon wasn't a subtle dig at you posting Rap songs... though I *did* think of you when I read it this morning in the paper, which made it doubly humorous. I liked that Curtis' dad threw Curtis' comment back at him in such a creative way (and I really like how Curtis' dad is written - he's quite cool). :D

And you also know that I'll sample whatever is posted, even if it's a genre I don't normally listen to or like, as you never know when that one song will just click.

728x90

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Metallica: "Nothing Else Matters" - Well... I really, really like this one and purchased a copy of "The Black Album" (official name is simply "Metallica") on the strength of this track not long after it was released (it was the first album from the group I purchased).

I did a quick search and found that while there have been several songs from their earlier "thrash metal" albums nothing by them from the "The Black Album" has been posted until this track... what a surprise and glaring omission!

So... here are a couple more tracks from that excellent album...

Metallica - "Sad But True":

Metallica - "The Unforgiven":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Johnny Cash: "Out Among The Stars" - Guess I'm missing something here as, to me, it sounds like a rather generic country song. There are dozens of other songs from Cash I'd listen to before this one.

Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five: "World War III" - I liked the funkiness of this one's backing track. It's also more musical than most rap, which helps significantly, though it did become a bit repetitive by the end.

Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five: "White Lines" - Well... even more musical than the first from this group. The high tenor was a bit flat which was somewhat distracting. I really liked the show - could have been a Motown production.

Duran Duran: "White Lines" - A decent enough cover. I prefer the original.

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five: "The Message" - Didn't care for this one. Is this the same group as "Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five" with just a different name?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That cartoon wasn't a subtle dig at you posting Rap songs... though I *did* think of you when I read it this morning in the paper, which made it doubly humorous
I didn't take it that way. I just wish I had more folks to discuss my favorite genre with. It's like being bilingual in a room full of folks who aren't.

As long as you thought of me... :cool:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five: "The Message" - Didn't care for this one. Is this the same group as "Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five" with just a different name?
At the time these were released they were one group although they did eventually split into two separate groups after some legal issues with their record label. Art & business...

Johnny Cash: "Out Among The Stars" - Guess I'm missing something here as, to me, it sounds like a rather generic country song. There are dozens of other songs from Cash I'd listen to before this one.
Both Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson are exempt from this in my view. They're voices are just magical and I never tire of them.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Metallica - "Sad But True":

Damn that hits hard. Yea, I like this one although I could do without the singing.

Metallica - "The Unforgiven":

This group has impressive range. This is exactly why I hate genre classifications, especially when they get too granular. I would not consider this a "Metal" song at all, it's just a nice song but, again, the singing is the weak link, although that improved markedly at 2:52. I preferred that voice to the lead, which seemed too gruff for the material.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Curtis is on a musical roll this week... this one reminds me of my grandkids when they were younger:

1677677918110.png

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Grandmaster Flash a& the Furious Five - The Message

Love it. So iconic. I was so listening to Electro, and other rap bands in the early 80's this was always in the background to me. But i like it quite a bit.

David Bowie -Anything from him. I hate his music, and never understood the popularity, or influence.

Metallica - The Black album. Any track on there is ok. I remember hating when I bought it the day of release because it was such a deviation from the complex hooks of their best thrash albums (that had better lyrics and song structure as well). It is a nice rock album but when given the choice to have the best thrash albums of all time, or a rock disc that is really good, I'll take the thrash metal all day every day.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
David Bowie -Anything from him. I hate his music, and never understood the popularity, or influence.
I'm mostly in the same boat, though I did like some of his 80's songs, from "Let's Dance" (1983) to "Time Will Crawl" (1987). But outside of those few years, I don't care for most of his songs.

I did like Culture Club's cover of "Starman", though, from their 1999 album.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Cherrelle's music video (I Didn't Mean to Turn You On) was played so much on BET in the early 80's (I always wanted more RUN DMC, and other obscure rap bands) it grew on me so much that I look back on it lovingly as such good memories. and the best version of the song by far (forget Mariah Carey) I love that song. I bought her CD years ago and it is very good.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Kool Moe Dee - Wild Wild West
Doug E Fresh & Slick Rick "6 Minutes" The Show

More 80's rap

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm mostly in the same boat, though I did like some of his 80's songs, from "Let's Dance"
I think David had that enigmatic quality [similar to Prince] that just made him larger than life, plus "Let's Dance" was just such a monster hit.
(I always wanted more RUN DMC, and other obscure rap bands)
RUN DMC? Obscure? I must have misinterpreted this statement.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think David had that enigmatic quality [similar to Prince] that just made him larger than life, plus "Let's Dance" was just such a monster hit.

RUN DMC? Obscure? I must have misinterpreted this statement.
RUN DMC--LOL my bad no anything but. Run DMC is the best rap band ever.

I meant to say other rap songs not as well known. Just came out wrong in my wording.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Kool Moe Dee - Wild Wild West
Doug E Fresh & Slick Rick "6 Minutes"

More 80's rap

Ah yes, Kool Moe Dee. I didn't care for a lot of his material but this was both a cool song and video. He actually lives not too far from me here in ATL now.

I do appreciate the inclusion of more Rap songs.

Thanks guys. "I'm not worthy" :emoji_cry:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sorry, I've never been able to warm up to straight-up rap. The closest I've ever got are a few hip-house tracks from the 90's with a rapper over a house beat (like Technotronic or Daisy Dee), or Eurodance with a female vocal and male rapper (LaBouche, 2 Unlimited), but those trend more toward pop and were less concerned with messages/statements.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

WARNING: BAD LANGUAGE!!

Peaches - F@#$ The Pain Away

I miss Peaches. She was so corny, but her music was a good laugh. I couldn't find her video so the one I posted is fan made.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Cherrelle: "I didn't mean to Turn You On" - For me this is generic 80s pop/dance that doesn't know when to stop. At ~3:00 it'd be a decent enough song with an interesting chorus. At ~7:00 it's way too long... I *do* have a vague recollection of having heard this one in that decade.

Alexander O'Neal & Cherrelle: "Saturday Love" - This one is lots better though still a rather generic pop/dance type thing. The vocals, especial O'Neal's, are very good.

Culture Club: "Starman" - It's OK but too slow and lacks Bowie's energy. However, if it gets people to sample early Bowie it's good.

David Bowie - "Starman":

For me, Bowie lost relevance in early 1975 when he entered his "Plastic Soul" phase with the release of "Young Americans." It was at that point he pretty much focused on "mainstream pop" and grew quite popular with that material. After the release of "Young Americans" I'd find the occasional song that would be interesting but nothing was up to the level of what he'd done in the 60s and early 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks