What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Kool Moe Dee: "Wild Wild West" - I like the opening riffs and chorus. I just can't get into songs that aren't sung but spoken. The guys dancing in the snow in the background were pretty cool as was the rest of the choreography making it worth a viewing.

Doug E Fresh & Slick Rick: "6 Minutes - The Show" - Nope. Not my thing (I bet you guys are surprised to read that, eh? :D ).

Peaches: "F*** The Pain Away" - Another that falls completely flat for me. Thinking it was "comedy" I had to look up the lyrics. Nothing to see here... (no comedy either) Guess you need to see the original video.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Great to see this thread getting a little traction lately. Ive been following along but haven't commented much because I don't have much to add other than if I liked a song or not.

Just a few random observations: Metallica's black album is their least interesting to me. Which is not to say it is a bad album by any means, I just like their other stuff better. Here's one of my favorite of their covers from Garage Inc.,

I also enjoy 70s Bowie. My first introduction to Bowie was the Let's Dance album. My sister played it all the time. It does nothing for me. But hearing his older stuff on classic rock radio grew on me.

Kool Moe Dee, Wild, Wild West. I remember that was a fun song way back when, but it didn't age well to me.

I'll comment on some.of the other tracks later, but here are a couple of albums I've been listening to lately.

(Not sure I understand the video, but love the song.)

(the singer reminds me of Smokey Robinson on this track)

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Here's a fun song from the classic album, "Son of Schmilsson" with some *screamin'* sax playing...

Harry Nilsson - "Take 54":

I need to do a deep dive on Harry Nilsson. He was a little before my time and rarely gets played on classic rock stations. But what little I've heard I really like.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Alexander O'Neal & Cherrelle: "Saturday Love" - This one is lots better though still a rather generic pop/dance type thing. The vocals, especial O'Neal's, are very good.
I enjoyed Alexander O'Neal's "Hearsay" album from 1987 that included his biggest pop hits (he had a 13 year run on the R&B charts, but only a handful of crossover pop hits). The Hearsay album was produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis around the same time they did Janet Jackson's "Control". The biggest pop hit was "Fake" (#25 Hot 100; also his only R&B #1) which sounded like it could have been on Janet's album.

Another big hit off this album was another duet with Cherrelle, "Never Knew Love Like This" (#28 Hot 100). I never knew until this thread that there was another earlier duet by the two (also produced by Jam & Lewis, apparently).

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Harry Nilsson - Take 54
I like it. I like so much of Nilsson's work.

This is probably near the top, but the tragic backstory is always a bit of a buzz kill for me.

Without You

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Metallica: "Loverman" - I pretty much like everything from "Garage, Inc." and this one's no exception.

Yelawolf: "Sometimes Y" - They almost lost me with the "trippy" open countdown junk (I very much dislike such goofiness on music). Once the actual song began (finally... at ~1:13 in!!!) it wasn't too bad. Good 70s rock sound/production stuff.

Yelawolf & Shooter Jennings: "Make Me A Believer" - Another decent track, this time with more of an 80s pop/rock sound/production style. At roughly 5 minutes, I'd say it's a bit too long.

White Denim: "There's A Brain In My Head" - Interesting mix of 60s/70s pop sounds. You could drop this in a 60s radio mix and few would even notice.

White Denim: " Take It Easy (Ever After Lasting Love) " - Another track that could easily be dropped in a 60s radio mix and few would notice. Definately has a Motown kind of sound. Not bad.

And are those last 2 even the songs you intended? You posted a playlist which starts with "There's A Brain In My Head" for both. I just went with the first 2 tracks from the playlist. I *did* enjoy those 2 tracks enough that I'll be listening to the album they're on later today.

Wonderland Philharmonic(?): "Daigoro's Theme" - Pleasant but didn't do much for me. Nothing I'd listen to outside the movie to which it's attached and likely couldn't tell you the following day/week that I'd even heard it.

I repeat a request from much earlier in this thread:
*PLEASE* put the name of the artist and track on the stuff you post. It's annoying to have to look it up just to comment appropriately... Thank you!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Alexander O'Neal: "Fake" - Nope... not feeling it at all with this one. More generic sounding 80s dance stuff...

Alexander O'Neal featuring Cherrelle: "Never Knew Love Like This" - And I like his voice here - just don't care for the track. Has that generic 80s pop sound.

Metallica: "If Darkness had a son" - The overly long intro was rather boring and didn't grab me once the singing started. The very short guitar hook is interesting but not enough to lay an entire song on as that intro bit keeps repeating (and repeating and repeating and repeating...). Sounds like a lesser track from one of the first 4 albums (the "thrash metal" stuff that I'm not that fond of anyway). This is one I'd not listen to often and likely skip when listening to the album - assuming I even purchase a copy. They pretty much lost me with "Death Magnetic" (actually with "St. Anger" but I got "Death Magnet" anyway) which surprised me by being a bit better than "St. Anger" but still not good enough. And I stuck with them longer than a co-worker who loves the group, especially the earlier "thrash metal" material. He bailed after "Reload."

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Alice Cooper - You and Me

This is my favorite Alice Cooper song. Partly because of nostalgia being of the first radio hits that I heard at a young age that I hummed along too. But in general Alice Cooper is the real deal rocker. I'm a fan, and so happy he still tours.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the movie, but this is a cool little theme.
I can definitely see this being used in Quentin Tarantino's final film. I discovered the movie in the mid 90's and didn't realize until he used dialogue from "Shogun Assasain" in 'Kill Bill' that he was a huge fan of both the movie and OST. Given the fact that he loves to "repurpose" film score tracks he likes in his films, I'd say it is possible.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Alice Cooper: "You, and Me" - Alice Cooper can be real hit or miss for me. This song's one of his "hits" and somewhat out of the wheelhouse of what I typically like from him.

Another of his ballads I greatly enjoy is...

Alice Cooper - "Only Women Bleed":

Searching the thread I discover that *nothing* from him has been posted prior to "You and Me" - seriously?!?! Gotta fix that...

One of my all-time favorite albums from Alice Cooper is "Love it to Death" - bet you thought I was going to say "School's Out"... While I like that album, "Love it to Death" has a couple of my favorite Alice Cooper tracks.

Alice Cooper - "Ballad of Dwight Fry":

And
Alice Cooper - "I'm Eighteen":

Plus
Alice Cooper - "Is It My Body":

From "Billion Dollar Babies" comes
Alice Cooper - "Elected":

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Alice Cooper: "You, and Me" - Alice Cooper can be real hit or miss for me. This song's one of his "hits" and somewhat out of the wheelhouse of what I typically like from him.

Another of his ballads I greatly enjoy is...

Alice Cooper - "Only Women Bleed":

Searching the thread I discover that *nothing* from him has been posted prior to "You and Me" - seriously?!?! Gotta fix that...

One of my all-time favorite albums from Alice Cooper is "Love it to Death" - bet you thought I was going to say "School's Out"... While I like that album, "Love it to Death" has a couple of my favorite Alice Cooper tracks.

Alice Cooper - "Ballad of Dwight Fry":

And
Alice Cooper - "I'm Eighteen":

Plus
Alice Cooper - "Is It My Body":

From "Billion Dollar Babies" comes
Alice Cooper - "Elected":

Yes to every Alice Cooper song you posted. Great stuff. Debating if I want to spend $300 to see him in April.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yes to every Alice Cooper song you posted. Great stuff. Debating if I want to spend $300 to see him in April.
I've never seen one of his shows - and I hear they're quite spectacular. Not seeing Cooper and Bowie in the early 70s is one of my few rock show regrets. And Bowie and Cooper appeared in Memphis at the Ellis Auditorium, as well as The Coliseum, more than once during those years so I had no excuse as I lived only about an hour away. One of Bowie's was the "Ziggy Stardust" tour - I heard all about it afterwards from a couple of guys I played music with and was envious.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen one of his shows - and I hear they're quite spectacular. Not seeing Cooper and Bowie in the early 70s is one of my few rock show regrets. And Bowie and Cooper appeared in Memphis at the Ellis Auditorium, as well as The Coliseum, more than once during those years so I had no excuse as I lived only about an hour away. One of Bowie's was the "Ziggy Stardust" tour - I heard all about it afterwards from a couple of guys I played music with and was envious.
Me neither. I planned to go to one in Grand Rapids late last year but other things got int he way. way back in 1986 he was coming to my local (less than 5 miles from my home) arena. His father died, and he abruptly cancelled the evening performance. His opening band was a little known band named 'Guns n Roses. They spent the night wandering the streets and spent a good part drunk in the park a block from the stadium. My sister's boyfriend at the time did the lighting for the concert. He hung out with them for a while in the park, and said they were very friendly, and a cool bunch but very drunk--LOL!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here are a few missing links from the 60s...

Procol Harem - "Conquistador":

Donovan - "Season of the Witch":

Question Mark & The Mysterians - "96 Tears":

The Young Rascals - "Groovin'":

The Lemon Pipers - "Green Tambourine":

The Chambers Brothers - "Time Has Come Today" (This is the single version - the album version runs just over 11 minutes):

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
So cool to see Procol Harum on here. They were my favorite band when I was in junior high school. Conquistador and A Whiter Shade of Pale hooked me, but they had a diverse output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks