What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is Josh Groban with more of a rock vibe, covering "Empty Sky" from Elton John's 1969 debut album. It's kind of long, though actually shorter than Elton's original which was over 8 minutes as seemed typical for many 60's-70's songs.

This song reminds me why so many think that Elton's second, self named album was his first. This is nice, but it just doesn't have the panache he had going forward. Nice cover though.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here are a couple of nice mellow tunes from an artist I was previously unaware of. I found both tracks very relaxing and will be exploring his catalog.

'Atlas Hands' Official Video (HD) - Benjamin Francis Leftwich​

'Shine' Official Video (HD) - Benjamin Francis Leftwich​

Nice, melodic, mellow songs that I feel belong in an episode of This Is Us. It's the type of thing I'll listen to, but I doubt I'd be motivated to buy any.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here are two songs by someone I expect most here aren't familiar with. Happy Rhodes.

I'll start with a Yes Medley cover. She does a lot of covers.

Followed by one of her original songs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Something which sounds like it could pass as "dance music" from medieval times (or possibly vikings), played by a metal band from germany.

"Swords In Rock"

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Something which sounds like it could pass as "dance music" from medieval times (or possibly vikings), played by a metal band from germany.

"Swords In Rock"

I have three Leaves' Eyes albums, but not that one. I don't recall them being so Celtic. This has hints of the singing style that's sometimes called "Beauty and the Beast." Another example of the weird variety of Metal that's being done in Western Europe. Even though none of these bands is from an English speaking country, the songs are usually in English. They perform all over the continent and English is the most common language.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I have three Leaves' Eyes albums, but not that one. I don't recall them being so Celtic. This has hints of the singing style that's sometimes called "Beauty and the Beast." Another example of the weird variety of Metal that's being done in Western Europe. Even though none of these bands is from an English speaking country, the songs are usually in English. They perform all over the continent and English is the most common language.

I never heard of Leaves' Eyes until a few months ago. By semi-random chance on youtube, I came across a few Leaves' Eyes videos when I was doing some unrelated searches for information/documentary videos about vikings.

"Chain of the Golden Horn"

"Dark Love Empress"

It turns out these two tracks caught my attention, where I looked up more Leaves' Eyes videos which sounded like symphonic power metal type stuff with celtic and/or viking elements, and a vocalist that sounded like a soprano opera singer.

I picked up their recent album "The Last Viking" on cd, which I've been listening to a lot. Later I picked up their last two albums "Sign of the Dragonhead" and "King of Kings" on cd, which I have also been listening to a lot. It appears these three albums are concept albums about the two king Haralds of Norway during the viking era: Harald Fairhair and Harald Hardrada.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
@JohnRice

Which Leaves' Eyes albums do you have?

Recently I was listening to their older albums like Vinland Saga and Njord. They do sound somewhat different than the more recent stuff. I thought the earlier stuff sounded more like a heavier "gothic" type of style.

In terms of a more celtic influence, it appears to have started on their fourth album Meredead.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@JohnRice

Which Leaves' Eyes albums do you have?

Recently I was listening to their older albums like Vinland Saga and Njord. They do sound somewhat different than the more recent stuff. I thought the earlier stuff sounded more like a heavier "gothic" type of style.

In terms of a more celtic influence, it appears to have started on their fourth album Meredead.
I have Elegy, Lovelorn and Vinland Saga.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've never understood the fascination with conductors. If they've properly done their job in rehearsal their presence on stage is rather superfluous. With a properly rehearsed orchestra/choir the conductor should be able to start the piece and walk off stage with no difference in the performance.
You would think so but, as a former musician I can tell you there is a very strong bond between a conductor and his/her orchestra or ensemble. It's hard to explain but I couldn't imagine playing in an orchestral session without my conductor back in the days. It's scary even thinking about it now. :confused:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You would think so but, as a former musician I can tell you there is a very strong bond between a conductor and his/her orchestra or ensemble. It's hard to explain but I couldn't imagine playing in an orchestral session without my conductor back in the days. It's scary even thinking about it now. :confused:
I've had conductors do that - orchestra and choirs. They got us started and walked away - intentionally - to see just how well we'd learned a piece. They never did it in concert but I never understood why as by then they were mostly not needed outside introducing a piece.

I also sang in Madrigal groups where you only use the conductor in rehearsals and performances are done completely without them. The "conductor" would introduce us, we'd get our first pitch before coming on stage, and we'd start. If the piece called for us all to start together there'd be a quick glance at the Soprano 1 or Tenor 1 (depending on piece) for a starting nod. It was all done so the audience saw no indication of a "leader" of any type. Starting pitch for a following piece would be inferred from the ending pitch of the prior piece - a pitch pipe was never heard by the audience or used on stage.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have a strong preference for classical recordings using only two microphones. I think that was pretty much unheard of until Telarc came along. Outside that, classical recordings tend to use so many microphones it destroys the ambiance and dynamics of the live performance. Decca used multi mics, but I think they just did a much better job of it.

I realize most people have probably never been to a live orchestral performance, so they probably don't realize that most recordings sound nothing like the real thing. I like to feel the hall and have a sense of the orchestra in front of me. Many recordings destroy that, probably intentionally, which I think is a huge mistake.

This Chandos recording is one of the best I've ever heard. You can feel the musicians and the space they are in. It keeps both the subtlety and dynamic power of the real thing.

It's a very difficult thing to properly mic an orchestra due to all the different timbres of the instruments. I took a class in college on orchestral recording. We barely touched on the intricacies of the process during the semester. Two mics can work *if* they're properly placed and that placement can vary from piece to piece. Most use multiple mics simply to allow for more post processing/mixing control.

And, yes, there's *nothing* like the real thing in a well designed concert hall.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Cornelius Brothers, and Sister Rose - "Don't Ever Be Lonely (a poor little fool like me)" - Wow! What a blast from the past! I don't think I've heard that one since it was a hit in the early 70s. It's very good and should have charted higher. I had to listen to it twice...

I purchased Time Life's "Sounds of the 70s" series many years ago which has a couple of their other hits:

Cornelius Brothers, and Sister Rose - "Too Late To Turn Back Now" (#2 on US Hot 100, 1972):

Cornelius Brothers, and Sister Rose - "Treat Her Like A Lady" (#3 on US Hot 100, 1971):

"Treat Her Like A Lady" is my favorite of the tracks from them I've heard.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Danny O'keefe, "Good Time Charlie's got the Blues" - John called this one "a less talented Glenn Campbell" which fits fairly well. Had I not heard it before I'd have thought it one of Campbell's lesser songs. It's pleasant enough and I'd not turn it off if it came on but it's also not one I'll pick if selecting a group of "oldies" from that era.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This is Josh Groban with more of a rock vibe, covering "Empty Sky" from Elton John's 1969 debut album. It's kind of long, though actually shorter than Elton's original which was over 8 minutes as seemed typical for many 60's-70's songs.

Somehow I missed this one. It's OK but I prefer Elton John's original:

Elton John - "Empty Sky":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This song reminds me why so many think that Elton's second, self named album was his first. This is nice, but it just doesn't have the panache he had going forward. Nice cover though.
It certainly didn't help things that the songs from "Empty Sky" received little, if any, airplay. The strong trio of hits from his 2nd album were what really made it take off and is the album that pretty much defined his sound.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Cornelius Brothers, and Sister Rose - "Don't Ever Be Lonely (a poor little fool like me)" - Wow! What a blast from the past! I don't think I've heard that one since it was a hit in the early 70s. It's very good and should have charted higher. I had to listen to it twice...

I purchased Time Life's "Sounds of the 70s" series many years ago which has a couple of their other hits:

Cornelius Brothers, and Sister Rose - "Too Late To Turn Back Now" (#2 on US Hot 100, 1972):

Cornelius Brothers, and Sister Rose - "Treat Her Like A Lady" (#3 on US Hot 100, 1971):

"Treat Her Like A Lady" is my favorite of the tracks from them I've heard.

Haven't heard this band in years. Great stuff.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It certainly didn't help things that the songs from "Empty Sky" received little, if any, airplay. The strong trio of hits from his 2nd album were what really made it take off and is the album that pretty much defined his sound.
As I recall, Empty Sky wasn't released in the US until some time later. I haven't looked that up, though.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Happy Rhodes, "Yes Medley" & "Temporary and Eternal" - Very nice. I like her voice and was quite surprised with the vocal range on display in "Temporary...". When she dropped to the Tenor 2 range I thought it was a male singer for a second and realized it was her. Both of these showcase a somewhat melancholy sound - a sound I generally like.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Leaves' Eyes, "Swords in Rock" - Celtic metal... hmmm... this is interesting. I'd listen to more.

Leaves' Eyes, "Chain of the Golden Horn" - Still has that Celtic sound to it with the melody and structure coupled with parts that invoke Vikings. The "Demon voice" bit is cute... and the video is rather cheesy...

Leaves' Eyes, "Dark Love Empress" - This one definitely has that "Symphonic Rock" sound to it and is missing the Celtic influence. Still quite good and I like a metal band having a female singer. It's a nice change and she's good.

I'll be listening to more from this group.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
As I recall, Empty Sky wasn't released in the US until some time later. I haven't looked that up, though.
I had to look it up. It got a US release in 1975. It didn't really do that well in the UK which is pretty much what held it back.

I picked it up on CD some time back on the basis of it including "Lady Samantha" as a bonus track. I'd not realized he wrote that song until I purchased that disc. I'd always know it as a Three Dog Night song but never looked to see who'd written the track. It's likely due to me always hearing it from TDN but it just doesn't sound like an Elton John song.

Elton John - "Lady Samantha":

Three Dog Night - "Lady Samantha" (with an almost identical arrangement):

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks