What's new

The Galaxy S6 Edge is stunning (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Preview embargo is up. Is beautiful enough?

The Galaxy S6 Edge Is Totally Beautiful—And Pointless
It’s like buying the Apple Watch Edition: It doesn’t do anything beyond the base model, but it’ll be worth the money to some people because of how it looks and the air of exclusivity it communicates.
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/galaxy-s6-edge-pointless/

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The headline is a little misleading -- it should really be, "The Galaxy S6 Edge Is Totally Beautiful—And Pointless. And That's a Good Thing". Listen, the fact that someone is calling anything made by Samsung "totally beautiful" is progress. However, the article is off the mark -- just because the edges have no real functionality (which I completely agree with) doesn't mean it has no point. The point is this: it's beautiful. It's unique. It makes the Edge desirable.

I was pretty committed to getting this phone, but the reviews so far have cemented my decision. Coming hot on the heels of a bunch of tepid HTC M9 reviews, it appears Samsung will absolutely own the Android space this year.

Interestingly, almost all of the S6 Edge reviews touch on the higher pricetag and many of them straight up labeled it as a minus. Interestingly, the higher price tag is likely to drive up sales, as its perceived exclusivity will make it more attractive to many buyers. Stories about Samsung not being able to source enough screens and glass for the Edge model will lead to perceptions of scarcity which will in turn lead to a run on the Edge model. Pre-orders are starting tomorrow -- expect to see stories about carrier selling out of the S6 Edge.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have serious doubts about that Hanson but will be interesting to see. I personally suspect the venn diagram intersection of "Diehard Android Fans" and "People willing to spend a lot of money on phones as status symbols" is going to be rather small, but we'll see soon enough.

I don't doubt that there WILL be some folks, like you, who find this design worth spending extra on, who will love it and evangelize it, but sell outs and big numbers out the gate? That's a different story. Especially since it cuts off at the knees at least 3 big features Android fans have lorded over the iPhone for the past few years.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Hey, weren't you the guy who had serious doubts that 4"+ phones would appeal to the mass market?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yep. And I have never been afraid to admit when I was wrong.

The thing to consider is that is actual usable functionality versus fashion. I know zero about fashion, but that doesn't prohibit me from an opinion or gut feel.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
As much as I've gone at it with Sam over the years regarding his potshots at Android, on this particular issue, he's correct that Samsung really did shoot itself in the foot with respect to choosing style over the substance of two features (battery, memory) that made the Galaxy phones better than Apple.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
RobertR said:
Hmmmm, looks like Samsung may not be as stupid as I thought they were:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s6-active-to-revive-microsd-and-removable-battery

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/03/26/samsung-reveals-galaxy-s6-galaxy-s6-edge-pre-order-and-release-dates/

This could turn out to be a good thing, with the company able to satisfy those who want the removable battery and SD slot AND those who think style means everything. We'll see.

Now that makes more sense to me^^^^^^ A little thicker but be expandable, easy cheap battery changes, water resistant, wireless charging......

Now if they could just figure out a way to put Apple stickers over the Samsung logo on the S6 edge it would probably become the most purchased phone of the year. I will wait.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Now if they could just figure out a way to put Apple stickers over the Samsung logo on the S6 edge it would probably become the most purchased phone of the year.

Yeah, Samsung really would be everything some people want them to be.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Sam Posten said:
Yep. And I have never been afraid to admit when I was wrong.

The thing to consider is that is actual usable functionality versus fashion. I know zero about fashion, but that doesn't prohibit me from an opinion or gut feel.

I wasn't calling you out on your accountability -- that is impeccable. But your prognostication skills? A bit sketchier :lol:

I will take this article with a grain of salt because it may be more PR hype than reality or the result of a manufactured shortage to draw attention, but the bottom line is, the carriers are sensing bigger demand for the Edge than had been anticipated:

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-triples-galaxy-s6-edge-production-596987/

Besides, your "Diehard Android Fans" are the ones likely to be boycotting the S6 line because of the lack of removables. "People willing to spend a lot of money on phones as status symbols" lines up very nicely with the S6 Edge. It's a real eye-catcher.

BTW, I wouldn't get too excited by the Active rumors. The source for the article is a Reddit user, which is not a very good standard for journalism.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Better than chinese supply chain rumors tho :lol:

I'm no psychic, it's true, good thing I don't believe there is such a thing. I would never take stock buy advice from myself, that's for sure.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Hanson said:
Besides, your "Diehard Android Fans" are the ones likely to be boycotting the S6 line because of the lack of removables. "People willing to spend a lot of money on phones as status symbols" lines up very nicely with the S6 Edge. I

IOW, Samsung deliberately chose to piss off people like me in hopes of persuading trendy Applephiles to come to them. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I don't think the goal was to piss anyone off, but yes, they wanted to appeal to a certain type of consumer. Because there are more of them than they are of you, unfortunately.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Hanson said:
I don't think the goal was to piss anyone off

But they KNEW they were going to. They couldn't possibly have been that clueless. Stupid yes, clueless about what people liked about their phones, no. So they went ahead knowing full well the pissing off would happen.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I went with the Note 4 instead of the iPhone for removable battery of which I bought an extra in case I needed it and I have

and the extsd card ability.

Not sure what I'll get for my next phone if the next Note doesn't have any of that.

It will still be more customizable than iPhone but that might not be enough.

BTW another issue with my current Note has been Lollipop.

I think it stinks.

The look of most of the features has changed dramatically especially the drop down "curtain"

notification is all white now, the battery drains much too quickly and the fast charge function no longer works.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I played around with both models at the mall today. The S6 was very nice. It felt nice in the hand. The Edge? Whole 'notha level. It felt so small and so light I thought the TMo guy handed me some hollow mock up. It's as beautiful as I hoped for. But there's a catch. ..

The gold version isn't coming out until the end of April. Do those mofos think I'm crazy enough to buy the black one out of desperation and buy the gold one later? F*ck you.

I will wait for the gold version. So no S6 review from me until a few weeks after launch. Unless Sprint pulls a gold S6 Edge outta its ass on launch day.

Gotta add -- the Edge looks like it walked off the deck of the Starship Enterprise. TNG, not TOS.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
RobertR said:
But they KNEW they were going to. They couldn't possibly have been that clueless. Stupid yes, clueless about what people liked about their phones, no. So they went ahead knowing full well the pissing off would happen.
This is a good thing on Samsungs part, I can only hope they continue with it.

Make choices and have conviction in your decision. This is what design is all about, not being beholden to whiny users all of whom think they know what is best for everyone.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
My sole concern with the S6 and Edge was the fragility of the glass back after seeing just about every iPhone 4 with spiderweb cracks on the back. My fears are unfounded after all - instead of whatever fragile material Apple used, Samsung uses Gorilla Glass 4 that doesn't crack when you look at it funny:

Samsung Galaxy S6 Drop Test & S6 Edge Scratch Tes…:

But what about the wrap around glass of the Edge?

Galaxy S6 Edge Drop Test:

In case you think that might be special effects, here's a less brutual and more verifiable drop test:

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Drop Test on Floor:

I wasn't going to use a case on the Edge anyway (it would be like putting a burqua on Emily Ratajkowski), but now I don't even have to be particularly careful with it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Make choices and have conviction in your decision.

Oh, you mean like telling everyone that nothing bigger than a 4 inch screen would EVER be needed? Sounds like someone listened and forgot about their "convictions" to me.

This decision by Samsung had nothing to do with "convictions". It had to do with going after a particular set of users. You know, the people they're supposed to "ignore".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks