What's new

The future of Warner Archives vintage TV releases (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Cyper is a curious choice by WAC considering how many unreleased HB cartoons they have left and quite a few Ruby Spears. Just like Marine Boy I have never heard of this and I don't think either were shown in the 70's or 80's in California when I grew up. For Japanese cartoons we had Speed Race, Gigantor and Kimba the White Lion but not these two. We also had the Mighty Hercules.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I remember watching Marine Boy (and then Speed Racer) growing up in the 70s in Washington State, but don't recall ever seeing or hearing about Johnny Cypher. It does seem an odd choice to release...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Same here. I watched all cartoons of that genre and don't ever recall seeing or hearing about Johnny Cypher. I only managed a minute or so of that clip posted. There are far more, and better, things that've never seen release that are more deserving than the "worst cartoon ever made."

Mike LaBorde

Auditioning
Movie releases on DVD I doubt are being done with new transfers because it's only if a movie is being redone for Blu-Ray that a new mastering would be done and I've heard no complaints about Warner Archive Blu-Ray movies. If it's a movie on DVD it's more apt to be a reissue of putting an old transfer back in print.
Sometimes new transfers are done for the cable networks (TNT, TCM, etc.) or the streaming services so Blu-Ray is not the only driving force for creating new transfers. I suspect that some of the remasters that Warner Archive has for new Blus are only justified within the whole Warner organization because they can also serve cable and streaming.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Sometimes new transfers are done for the cable networks (TNT, TCM, etc.) or the streaming services so Blu-Ray is not the only driving force for creating new transfers. I suspect that some of the remasters that Warner Archive has for new Blus are only justified within the whole Warner organization because they can also serve cable and streaming.
It's driven by TV and streaming, for sure. Disc sales are minuscule, especially these days.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
I'm wondering since the DVD market has shrunken considerably, and Warner is now going back to their original premise of not remastering but using whatever elements are on hand, what will happen going forward. I really can't see any future possibilities for shows which do not have existing tape transfers. At least all of the MGM shows acquired through Turner have one-inch transfers, even if they're 30+ years old, they don't look bad. However, the WB shows, like Room For One More, Adam's Rib, The Little People, Mr. Roberts, etc., I doubt were ever put to tape and I just can't see them spending the money at this point for shows of that stature.
Where are Warner's great "cop" shows ....77, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, Bourbon St Beat ...?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
A few years back I purchased the complete series DVD's of The FBI, Daktari, and Medical Center from Warner Archive. Daktari is a series that doesn't seem to have aged particularly well, I watch episodes of this series less often than the other two but I'm still glad to have the DVD's.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
A few years back I purchased the complete series DVD's of The FBI, Daktari, and Medical Center from Warner Archive. Daktari is a series that doesn't seem to have aged particularly well, I watch episodes of this series less often than the other two but I'm still glad to have the DVD's.
We enjoyed watching Daktari as a family. It's a good show for all age levels to enjoy. I'm not sure if it would have had the same impact for me if I had watched it on my own, but then again, I'm not sure The FBI would have been a great selection as a family show.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
We enjoyed watching Daktari as a family. It's a good show for all age levels to enjoy. I'm not sure if it would have had the same impact for me if I had watched it on my own, but then again, I'm not sure The FBI would have been a great selection as a family show.
Agreed, Daktari is more family/kid friendly compared to The FBI and Medical Center.

In the 1960's, adventure shows with animals was sort of a trendy thing. Aside from Daktari, Flipper and Gentle Ben also come to mind.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Look at what was posted on FB

THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE

Jim Beaver · oeSsoptdnrg0i314h3cui2403ui60t6ih71mf0l6942g2mf2t0ia94594hc9 ·
A bit of news for those of you interested in the five Superman compilation films from 1954, to wit:
Superman in Scotland Yard
Superman Flies Again
Superman and the Jungle Devil
Superman in Exile
Superman’s Peril
I reached out to contacts I have at Warner Bros. and have received confirmation that they have elements of four of the five films and they are reaching out to foreign archives in hopes of finding the remaining elements. Turns out this has been a long-term project for Warners and they are very excited about the possibility of re-releasing these films for public consumption. But at present, the search still continues for the remainder of the materials. Unless and until they can locate them, this will remain merely a possibility. But to my mind, it's exciting to have any news at all about these compilations. If I get updates, I'll let you know.

Kruzer31

Agent
Real Name
Doug
Digital Bits just announced that Mayberry RFD: The Complete series will be coming out in a few months. Have any of you heard about this? Well, if that's true, it would include two unreleased seasons.
--jthree
Digital Bits has the release date as 6/13/23. Amazon has it listed with no release date yet. The dvd front and back cover are shown.
Digital Bits just announced that Mayberry RFD: The Complete series will be coming out in a few months. Have any of you heard about this? Well, if that's true, it would include two unreleased seasons.
--jthree
Digital Bits has the release date as 6/13/2023. Amazon has it as unavailable, but the cover art is shown. It is the complete series.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Vegas has it. 99 to 1.
W/B will farm out 95% of the stuff they have.
Get what they can for it. And the companies that get the rights.
I will put out cheap sets. With no CC ?? SDH on them, etc. I see it already.
It's all about what they can get out of you. And go as cheap as they can.
Let's see how right Vegas will be.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
--jthree
This is interesting news, I've never gotten into The Andy Griffith Show but I like Mayberry RFD, so I will consider being in for this as long as the DVD's are formatted in 4:3 full screen.

Sounds like it's going to be a 12 disc set, so I assume it's four DVD's for each of the three seasons, each season has 26 episodes for a series total of 78 episodes.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Vegas has it. 99 to 1.
W/B will farm out 95% of the stuff they have.
Get what they can for it. And the companies that get the rights.
I will put out cheap sets. With no CC ?? SDH on them, etc. I see it already.
It's all about what they can get out of you. And go as cheap as they can.

Let's see how right Vegas will be.
Same old, same old negative and baseless rhetoric. I see that I'm going to have to take the advice given by someone recently that told me to just use the sites "ignore" feature. Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks