1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Warner Archives vintage TV releases

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Neil Brock, Jun 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Lee:

I really should purchase the complete first season. I had not heard of the show until I started reading posts about it here at HTF and I was intrigued, so it would be a blind buy for me. I just hate to start purchasing a series only to have the distributor stop releasing more seasons (i,e, the Defenders). I guess some Burk'e Law is better than no Burke's law, but as many collectors on here know all to well, a stalled series release is very frustrating..

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Lecagr like this.
  2. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    I don't hold out much hope for ever seeing season two of Burke's Law, and really sorry to hear that Timeless had a chance and passed, because they had been releasing some non-westerns while they were still in business.

I'd recommend buying season 1 anyway. Burke's Law is too much fun of a series to pass on. The mysteries themselves are no great shakes, but the enjoyment is watching Gene Barry as Amos Burke interview all the guest stars. The show had great quality guest stars, and you could tell that they were all enjoying their 5 minute stints as murder suspects. And the vintage commercials are a blast to watch.

Having said that, if I could pick one series that someone/anyone would "un-stall", I'd take season two of Burke's Law. (I'm assuming of course, that Gunsmoke isn't stalled, just on a really. slow. pace.)

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  3. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Yes I would recommend to go ahead and purchase the complete season 1 DVD. Currently Amazon has it for about $30, that's not a bad price.

I waited too long to purchase the It Takes A Thief complete series. I thought about getting it when it first came out, but decided not to order, then a few years later when I was ready to order, the set had gone out of print. So I ended up paying more than I wanted to for a used set, but it's in very good condition and I'm glad I have it because it's a great series and I enjoy those episodes also.

4. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    I was reading some old comments on other past threads:

The liner notes in the Burke's Law set indicated that the intention was to get all the way through the show's run including "Amos Burke Secret Agent".

The gist from all the posts I read, including comments from those who had been contacting VCI, is that they wanted to continue it, but Fox was holding them up for unspecified reasons. (Some comments said also that Fox was holding up Shout over more Peyton Place releases. Burke's Law had been one of VCI's top sellers. Such a shame.

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Not sure if it was true but I remember reading on this forum years ago that after Fox saw season 1 was a successful release they wanted a lot more money for season 2 and Amos Burke Secret Agent. More money than VCI thought it was worth. That also makes sense if true.

Jack K, MartinP., Jeff Flugel and 2 others like this.
  6. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Whenever greed and money get involved it's the fans who lose out because then there are no more DVD's. It's a pity. Maybe this series will still one day be all the way completed but it doesn't sound promising.

Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Well, Sean, I know how you feel, but I also highly recommend picking up Burke's Law Season 1. No use cutting off your nose to spite your face, or throwing the baby out with the bathwater, or whatever mixed metaphor you want to apply to the situation. ;) Seriously, it's a very fun show, and I'd hate for you to miss out on a cool classic like this one, even if (sadly) we'll probably never see a S2. You still get 32 well-done mysteries, loaded with great supporting casts of up-and-comers and big stars on the way down. Glass half (or one-third) full, I'd say.

Flashgear, Jack K, Ron1973 and 2 others like this.
  8. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

The thing to remember about even old masters is they're bound to be better than "alternate sources" which were just recorded off the air.

Darby67 likes this.
  9. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Thank you Glenn, Lee, and Jeff for your positive endorsements for buying season 1 of Burke's Law!

Flashgear, Lecagr and Jeff Flugel like this.
  10. Message #30 of 46 Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Enjoy - I hope it lives up to our billing!

Flashgear, Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  11. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    And do yourself a favor, don't read who the guest stars are. Just start watching the episodes and then marvel at the names that pop up when the credits roll.

12. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Thanks Sean, sounds like you've ordered season 1 so I hope you enjoy the episodes, happy viewing!

In the event the rest of the series doesn't get released, having season 1 is better than nothing. Some season 2 episodes are up on You Tube, but I don't really want to watch them there, I'd rather have DVD's.

Flashgear, MartinP., Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  13. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

Most of season 2 and Amos Burke, Secret Agent has aired on MeTV and also on a Decades binge some time ago. Of course, not as desirable as a dvd release, but at least worth keeping an eye out for if you enjoy the series. I wouldn't be surprised if Burkes Law popped up in the slot currently occupied by 77 Sunset Strip.

Flashgear, Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  14. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer
    The Cara Williams Show was co-produced by Keefe Brasselle"s Richieleu Productions IAW CBS, so it belongs with CBSTD, but it will never see the light of day for a one-season show like that! Head on over to YT to catch a few eps uploaded recently by Vladimir Zworkin!

15. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Thanks James, yes I've seen some of those and they are awesome, the original commercials are included also. I'd really like this series to be released on DVD but I agree it's probably not likely to happen.

Jack K likes this.
  16. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Wow, the guy who invented television is still kicking around at 130 year old? Good for him.

Mark Y likes this.
  17. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

And he's internet savvy, too! Impressive!

18. Message #38 of 46 Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    Warner Archives is releasing another vintage (1960s) TV cartoon series release, Johnny Cypher in Dimension Zero: Complete Series, on July 30th.

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-pre-orders/products/johnny-cypher-in-dimension-zero-the-complete-series-mod

[​IMG]

This was from Joe Oriolo (former Fleischer/Famous Studios animator, and the creator of Casper the Friendly Ghost), who gave us Felix the Cat (the 'magic bag of tricks' version, with The Professor and Poindexter) and The Mighty Hercules. Differing a bit from those, the animation for Johnny Cypher was done in Japan (ala Rankin-Bass) by Fujita Associates Inc (Speed Racer), though produced primarily for western consumption. Warner has this through Seven Arts; same deal as with their prior release of Marine Boy.

Looks like Oriolo recycled the character designs of Hercules, Helena and Newton from The Mighty Hercules for his trio of Johnny Cypher do-gooders, when handing the work over to the Japanese staff. Not surprisingly, with these production companies involved (as well as voice talent of Corrine Orr as Johnny Cypher's companions, Zena and Rhom), this show looks like an odd stylistic hybrid of The Mighty Hercules and Speed Racer, in an effort to create a cheap rip-off of Space Ghost. It's considered by some to be among the worst TV-cartoons ever made! :laugh:

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  19. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Think I’ll pass.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  20. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I saw that name and I immediately think of an actor who was the chief on "Hill Street Blues"! :)

Doug Wallen likes this.