What's new

The Frighteners: Director's Cut - 11-29-05 (1 Viewer)

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Specs are up at dvdanswers.Still no word on whether the full documentary will be included though.

Title: The Frighteners
Starring: Michael J. Fox
Released: 29th November 2005
SRP: $26.98

Further Details
Universal has announced a director's cut release of The Frighteners which stars Michael J. Fox, Trini Alvarado, John Astin and Jeffrey Combs. This single-disc special edition will be available to own from the 29th November this year, and should set you back around $26.98. The film itself will have a runtime of 2 hours and 3 minutes, and will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. As for the extra material, you can expect the set to include over four hours of material, including a commentary with director Peter Jackson, a 'Making of The Frighteners' documentary, storyboards and the theatrical trailer.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
That much on a DVD-18 could make it a no sale for me. I am tired of it. Save my time and money and the 10 bucks of gas it takes to return it. Once i find out that it has no DVD flaws then maybe.

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
dvdanswers.com now has cover art and menu shots up.

Forgive my ignorance but i thought that dvd-18 died off a few years ago. Anybody know why Universal is still using it?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I doubt Universal cares about shelf space so it's pretty safe to assume that it's a matter of expense.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
And it supposedly blows away the AC-3 version. The point is that will be the definitive soundtrack for this movie for a long time (ie Jurassic Park DTS LD).

Will K

Screenwriter
Sorry if someone's already said it, but if Universal says it has over four hours of material, including a (2 hr)commentary, I'm guessing the doc is likely pared down to 2 hours or less.

I'm not too thrilled about a DVD-18, either, but I am elated about actually getting the movie in its extended form. I like the cover art, too.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Bloody hell. A DVD-18? Thanks for nothing, Universal. I'm now thinking twice about buying this title, I've had just a few too many problems with DVD-18s already (Schindler's List, Knight Rider, The A-Team, etc etc).

Jeez, if it wasn't for PAL speedup I'd be SO into R2 right now. Collecting DVDs just isn't as much fun as it used to be. I remember the days before scratches, fingerprints, discs that freeze for no reason, returning titles only to receive another one that's just as bad...

Guess I need to be looking at R3 but I can't see anything listed yet.

John

Manus

Second Unit
Looks like the R2 French are releasing a 3-disc Collectors Edition which would allow plenty of room for the full doc. and commentary ? Just pray they dont screw it up with forced french subtitles and they could be in the winners enclosure ?

M

http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

Sten F

Second Unit
The Scandinavian release will be a 3-Disc as well. Not sure whether it will have english subs on it. Specifications hasn´t been confirmed yet.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Well, I'm going to buy this, but the DVD-18 things sucks. I wanted Mallrats to be a 2-disc set and I'd rather this be put on 2-disc sets. I haven't had problems with playback on DVD-18s, but the notion of having a disc with TWO ultra-sensitive sides always turns me off (makes it twice as easy to damage).

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I've been thinking about this today and I'm gonna go R2. I'm going R2 for every title that's lumbered with a DVD-18 in R1. I'd rather deal with PAL speedup on a disc THAT PLAYS.

JR

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Menu shots are up at DVDTimes and they look really great!

The entire making of docu will be on the flipside so Im not anticipating any problems...

Really looking forward to this release!!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that screenshot of the menu only says "play the making of the frighteners"

soesnt mention anything about the length of it.

but since it is the only thing on side b ......

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Davisdvd says that the making of The Frighteners full length documentary will be on the flipside of the dvd so we can only hope they are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks