1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Frighteners: Director's Cut - 11-29-05

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick Mirza, Aug 5, 2005.

1. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

Maybe the theatrical cut and the directors cut get their own disc instead of seamless branching?

2. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Sounds very plausible. Universal don't seem to like seemless branching in R2 (they also "debranched" the Gladiator Extended Edition and only included the longer cut), but they certainly seem to be planning to release both cuts as there are video introductions to both versions, according to the BBFC web site.
    The big question now is, will the R1 include both versions via branching or just the longer cut. So far I haven't heard anything of the theatrical cut being included on the R1 disc.

Chris

3. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Or the 3rd disc could just be the soundtrack.

4. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Still says 110 mins.

2 main part disk + image benefit disks of new master! !
    Production supervision script: Peter Jackson
    Performance: Michael J fox/トリニ アルヴァラード ジェイク ビƒ…ーシイ

UNED-25265 & color & main part approximately 110 minutes * 16:9LB (CinemaScope size) * single sided 2 layer
    * Sound: English (5.1ch) Japanese (5.1ch) * subtitle: English Japanese - 1996 - the American movie
    Recording the image benefit of approximately 4 hours 40 minutes or more!

[ Disc1 ]
    - The introduction which is due to Peter Jackson director
    - Original theater trailer
    [ Disc2 ]
    The introduction which is due to supervision
    1) Ghost story - experience talks -
    2) Until the script is possible
    3) Michael J fox and トリニ アルヴァラード
    4) 3 people of ghost part
    5) Rehearsal
    6) Production of picture continuity
    7) American town is made
    8) Reverse side of photographing
    9) The introduction of WETA
    10) Scene 28
    11) Special effect of ghost
    12) Motion control/blues clean photographing
    13) Actors of Jackson house
    14) About stunt
    15) Dead God
    16) Ghost dog lath Ra
    17) Grave Mori
    18) Jeffrey コブス
    19) Miniature photographing
    [ Disc3 ]
    20) D ウォレス stone & ジェイク ビƒ…ーシイ
    21) トリニ of scar being lazy
    22) The to slime the dead God which is converted
    23) Wallpaper man and portrait picture man
    24) About open time
    25) Bus of worm - hell going -
    26) Not yet released scene collection (grave Mori judge et. al.)
    27) Music
    28) NG scene collection
    29) Thought after the ethical examining & the completion
    30) Production staff
    31) Original theater trailer

5. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

Prentice,

Many thanks for posting your translation of the Japanese DVD specs for "The Frighteners: Special Edition."

No offense intended, but unfortunately quite a few of the translations are incorrect -- this is definitely not your fault, but is the fault of the online translation program you used (which I believe was AltaVista). Most of these programs aren't too bad in translating latin-character languages, but they're really problematic when dealing with Japanese, Chinese and Korean. While they offer the general "gist" of the Japanese text -- usually enough to kind of figure out what they are "likely" saying -- they also tend to include some wildly inaccurate translations as well.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind, but I went through and retranslated the entire Japanese spec sheet myself by hand, which should give folks a much better idea of the actual content.

The content pretty much matches exactly the LD content, with the addition of a couple of extra Peter Jackson introductions -- one on the movie disc, and one for the "Making Of" -- and two theatrical trailers.

Although the content is almost exactly the same as the LD edition, the Japanese DVD "Making Of" chapter/content names are often different than what you might be familiar with from the LD. I've included the original LD edition chapter names whenever different…

A couple of additional notes:

According to Universal Japan, the DVD contains a "110 minute" version of the film, which corresponds to the original theatrical length. This is the same information given to all Japanese online retailers as well. It's most likely an error on behalf of Universal Japan -- it's pretty much assured that the DVD will contain the same 123m extended cut as the rest of the world. However, until Universal Japan officially acknowledges this, or releases an image of the back cover, the actual film length cannot be verified. It very well COULD contain the original 110m version. As soon as I get any verification of the actual length, I'll be sure to post it here (or I'm sure someone else will).

The Japanese DVD does NOT contain the Peter Jackson commentary track. Unless they add it as some sort of last-minute unannounced extra (doubtful, considering the huge spec sheet below), it's definitely not included. So what if it's in English -- all it needs is a separate Japanese subtitle track for the commentary; lots of companies have included subtitles for commentary tracks, whether the commentaries are in English or a foreign language. Er, then again, this IS Universal we're talking about here…

Lastly, regarding the soundtrack options, Universal Japan says the DVD contains both English and Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. While the English track is DEFINITELY DD 5.1, there is some discrepancy as to the Japanese track -- some sources list DD 5.1, some list DD 2.0 Surround. Just thought you should be aware of this potential difference as well.

Oh, and some retailers (such as CDJapan) are including a limited edition bonus "Art Card" with the First Pressing of the DVD, while supplies last. I'm not sure what the "Art Card" is, but some other sources list it as a "Postcard." Obvious, it's some sort of card with "Frighteners" art or image on it…

Well, that's about it… Here's the properly translated Japanese spec sheet for "The Frighteners," and enjoy!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Japanese Title:
    Samayou Tamashiitachi: Supesharu Edeishon
    (“Loitering Souls: Special Edition”)

English Title:
    The Frighteners: Special Edition

Main Disc of New Master + 2 Image Benefits Discs!!

Producer • Director • Writer: Peter Jackson
    Performance: Michael J. Fox • Trini Alvarado • Jake Busey

Release Date: 12.23.2005
    Retail: ¥2980 (~US$26.48)
    Catalog #UNED-25265
    Color
    Film Length: ~110 min.
    16:9 LB (CinemaScope Size)
    Single-Sided 2 Layer X 3 (i.e., 3 RSDL discs)
    Region 2
    Sound:
    • 1: Dolby Digital / 5.1ch Surround / English
    • 2: Dolby Digital / 5.1ch Surround / Japanese (NOTE: Some sources state this is actually Japanese DD 2.0 Surround…)
    Subtitles: Japanese / English
    Year: 1996
    American Movie

First Pressing Benefit:
    • Art Card

Recording Image Benefit of More Than ~4 hours 40 minutes!

[Disc 1]
    Introduction by Director Peter Jackson (~10 min.)
    Original Theatrical Preview

[Disc 2]
    Introduction by the Director
    1) Ghost Story ~Story of One’s Experience~ (aka: “Ghost Stories”)
    2) The Making of the Script (aka: “Script Development”)
    3) Michael J. Fox and Trini Alvarado
    4) 3 People of Ghost Roles (aka: Jim Fyfe, Chi McBride, John Astin")
    5) Rehearsal (aka: “Rehearsing”)
    6) Production of Storyboards (aka: “Storyboarding”)
    7) Making an America Town (aka: “Lyttelton as Fairwater”)
    8) Other Side of Photographing (LD equivalent = ???)
    9) Introduction to WETA
    10) Scene 28
    11) Special Effects of Ghosts (aka: “Ghost Effects”)
    12) Motion Control / Bluescreen Photography (aka"Motion Control and Bluescreen")
    13) Actors of Jackson’s Family (aka: “The Jackson Boys: Peter’s Cameo & Billy Jackson”)
    14) Concerning Stunts (aka: "Stunts")
    15) (God of) Death (aka: “The Reaper”)
    16) Ghost Dog Rustler (aka: “Rustler”)
    17) Grave Keeper (aka: “The Gatekeeper”)
    18) Jeffrey Combs
    19) Miniature Photography (aka: “Miniatures”)

[Disc 3]
    20) Dee Wallace Stone & Jake Busey
    21) Many Bruises of Trini (aka: “Trini’s Bruises”)
    22) Slime Changes Into (God of) Death (aka: “Slime Face and Blobman”)
    23) Wallpaper Man and Portrait Man (aka: “Wallpaperman and Carpetman”)
    24) Concerning Release Time (aka: “Acceleration”)
    25) Worm ~Bus for Going to Hell~ (aka: "The Worm")
    26) Unreleased Scenes Collection (Grave Keeper, Judge, etc.) (aka: “The Gatekeeper, The Judge & Other Deleted Stories)
    27) Music
    28) NG Scene Collection (“No Good” Scene Collection) (aka: “Bloopers”)
    29) Ethical Examination & Post-Completion Impressions (aka: “Ratings and Final Thoughts”)
    30) Production Staff (aka: “Credits”)
    31) Original Theatrical Preview (aka: “Theatrical Trailer”)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, folks, that's it for now…

Looks like we're getting the entire original LD contents plus a couple minor additional extras. Not bad…

Now, we just have to see what exactly is contained on the domestic American DVD ( I'm sure the contents are exactly the same).

However, I think I'll still be picking up the Japanese release instead (which at only ¥2980 -- ~US$26.40 -- is a STEAL for a 3-disc set!). Judging from the menu shots Universal released of the domestic DVD, Side A contains the film + Storyboards (~45min = 1/6th total doc.), while Side B contains the remainder of the documentary (~240min. = 5/6th total doc.). Instead, on the Japanese DVD, the film gets its own disc, while the documentary is split over two full RSDL discs. Due to the extra bit space offered by the 3-disc set, this should mean far less compression and theoretically better image quality, especially for the documentary itself. Which could be important, since Universal will likely NOT recreate and/or newly-retransfer all of the supplementary materials -- more than likely, they will instead pull them directly off of the previous LD master.

They did this with the recent JAWS: 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION 2-disc SE set. All of the supplementary material that originally appeared on the LD SE was pulled directly off of the LD master -- NONE of that supplementary material was newly retransferred or recreated. Universal's lazyness resulted in a DVD supplementary section with WORSE image quality than a 10-year-old LD! For whatever reason, the thousands of still-frame images on the DVD were transferred off the LD at "half-resolution" (i.e., using only one "field" instead of a full "frame" -- on the LD, two interlaced "fields" formed one still "frame"). This resulted in stills that appear blurry and jaggy on the DVD, yet looks sharply defined and clear on the old LD edition (not surprising, since the LD stills are literally shown at twice the resolution of those on the DVD). Pathetic. Also, all of the video extras were also pulled off of the LD master as well, rather than being retransferred from scratch, and again look sharper and more detailed on the LD. Just because of this, I'm keeping my LD edition -- when I want to watch the film, in goes the DVD, because of the new anamorphic transfer; however, when I want to watch any of the extras, in goes the LD (although the documentary looks fairly close between the LD and DVD). I'm utterly surprised that not one single reviewer did an A-B comparison between the LD and DVD supplementary materials and noticed these difficiencies.

Heaven forbid Universal take the time to properly retransfer this material so it looks perfect on a higher-resolution format -- I can't wait to see what they do when Blu-Ray (or whatever HD format we get) rolls around -- a brand new HD transfer of JAWS, with the same still images and video extras taken from a 15-year-old LD master, blurrier than ever.

Universal has pulled this routine with several other DVDs, where the supplementary materials were originally created for a LD "Signature Collection" edition -- pulling the material off of old D1 LD masters rather than retransfer them anew for DVD. I'm very afraid that they'll do the same this for "The Frighteners," which is why I'd prefer to have as much disc space as possible for the documentary… the less compression the better (thankfully there's no still-frame section on the original LD for them to massively screw up this time). Hopefully I'll be wrong, and Universal has a high-quality tape master for the documentary, so that the DVD retains ALL the quality and resolution of the original source, rather than looking like it was literally copied off of a LD.

Well, that's enough translating and bitching from me for one night. I sincerely hope that my retranslated spec sheet proves helpful to all of you, and that you enjoy whichever "Frighteners" DVD you decide is right for you.

Regards to all…

6. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    The BBFC is listing intros to both the theatrical and director's cut (as well as the doc), suggesting that either a) some form of branching will be used or b) that we're looking at a 2-disc (or more) set.

EDIT : Balls ! Just looked at Christian's post (above)and he says exactly this. Sorry.

7. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Thanks Jeff. I can only rely on altavista babelfish so your help is greatly appreciated. I am hoping this release is the 123 minute cut. It's kind of hard to fathom that they would release all of the extras from the LD on this set, but not have the "director's cut."

8. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

This showed up yesterday:

THE FRIGHTENERS
    Video Feature,Widescreen, Director's cut, DVD additional material, DVD Director's audio commentary,
    Classified 10 October, 2005: (15) Run Time 117m 30s
    (previous PAL releases are about 105 minutes and 11 secs)

Note: that is the PAL length, for NTSC it is approx 122 minutes and 24 secs.

I guess this warrants a smiley: [​IMG]

9. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

R. Ray Rogers II
    Can't wait![​IMG][​IMG]

10. Juan C

Juan C Second Unit

The specs for the German edition have been disclosed by areadvd. Indeed, disc 1 contains the theatrical version and disc 2 contains the director's cut.

edit to add: Unfortunately, this title is rated "18" so it will be impossible to buy it from a German Web retailer.

11. jon_farthing

jon_farthing Agent

extra features add up to more or less exactly four and a half hours!

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Woah! So what version to get?!? I definitely don't want a Uni. DVD-18 as I have been burned by them b4.

[​IMG] d

13. Richard>S

Richard>S Extra

Really?!..i can appreciate that may be the case with Amazon but surely there is a German e-tailer out there selling FSK 18 titles?

14. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    This is one hell of a great film and all, but geez, 4 and a half hour documentary!? [​IMG]

Please tell me that the DC has more scenes with Peter Dobson and Jeffrey Combs, both of those guy's, among other things, MADE that film for me! [​IMG]

15. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

Yes.

Really looking forward to revisiting this film. I just really hope it's done right.

16. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

R. Ray Rogers II
    It's all of the extras ported from the laserdisc put on a DVD-18. Basically it's just a film disc and the extras disc slapped back-to-back. It's NOT a flipper as some have falsy stated. i.e. flippers are films such as Schindler's List, the single disc GoodFellas, where the film is split over two sides. No, this has Side A as the film, commentary and storyboard sequence and Side B has the extensive 4 1/2 hour documentary from the Signature Collection laserdisc. This is exactly as I have predicted and am more than ecstatic it's officially coming to DVD thankfully with the picture being 16:9 and such. Guess Universal could've gone the two discer route and have snazzy disc labels but I'm appreciative we're even getting this in the first place.
    Don't believe me? Then click on this link for a sampling.[​IMG]
    Hopefully we'll get a nice informative booklet to go along with it but if not we already have one resource. Buying this immediately on release day.

17. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

FWIW, the storyboards were originally a part of the LD "documentary."

DJ

18. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    John,
    The doc is worth it's weight in gold. GOLD, Jerry, GOLD!

This is the same PJ who overloaded on LOTR stuff.

I have the LD, but I'll be upgrading [​IMG]

Take care,
    Chuck

19. JasonKZ

JasonKZ Stunt Coordinator

Nice that it comes with a free ticket to King Kong too............

20. Moe*A

Moe*A Stunt Coordinator

If anyone wants to pick up the German 4 disc version it can be order from CD-WOW, just placed an order myself this eveing.