What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Frighteners: Director's Cut - 11-29-05 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This really makes me apprehensive about how badly Universal will screw up "King Kong" in April. :frowning:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, I only scanned it, (didn't have 7 hours to watch both sides in real time) and it scanned through both sides entirely without a hitch. I think I'm ok.

:) d

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
If they have 2 versions like most big releases today, (WOTW, Polar express etc...) they will need to market one as a 2 disc collector's edition yada, yada... so I think we won't have to deal with a dvd-18. But, this is universal...

;) d

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i finally got around to watching the movie. i was fine to the layerswitch, but after that point, i get pauses and stutters, and pixelation like crazy. what a joke. we finally get this edition and its messed up like this.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
hey, i'm new here, so umm, hi!

did anyone else's copy of TF:DC have the "SIDE A" info ring on side A, but no ring at all on side B?

thanks in advance.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
thanks for the reply! after hearing nothing but problems from the DVD-18s, I was worried that my disc might get mangled in shipping (USA -> Australia), but thankfully it all arrived perfectly. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the troubles with the dvd-18 arent from damage while in transit. ?

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
i've heard complaints regarding the kong ticket voucher marking the discs in at least one case.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Well I just picked up the R2 (UK) edition of "The Frighteners". It appears to be 3 discs, not 2 as I originally thought.

The packaging sucks. All 3 discs stacked on one top of the other in a single-sized Amaray case. Awful. Needless to say there are scratches on disc 2. Then again there are scratches on almost everything these days so what the heck.

At least this should play a little bit more reliably than the DVD-18 version. Believe me I'd rather have the R1 set but not worth the risk.

Will watch it tomorrow night. I love it!

JR

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I just picked this up on Friday and had the chance today to sit down and view it.

I cannot believe how good this DVD looks and sounds... :D I've seen the movie before a wile ago and I don't know... is it just me or was anyone else completely blown away by the video and audio quality?? ;)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Listened the ported laserdisc commentary a few nights ago on this one, coincidentally. Great stuff, and never got the chance to pick up the "Signature Series" LD when it first hit around eight years back. Damn near kicked my own ass after I saw it skyrocketing upward in aftermarket price on eBay, these past several years.

Oh, wait...I *did* kick my own ass. But now I sleep the sleep of the just.

Nice to see Universal listening to the fans on releases like this one and the new extended Dune disc, and bless them for not chopping down that 4 1/2-hour documentary the way they did the Bouzereau Jaws piece a few years ago. Now, if only they'd get around to finally putting out that 175-minute cut of Waterworld...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Sold mine for something like $200 back in 1999. Got almost $300 for my Star Wars SE LDs too - ahh, such glorious memories! :D

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Heh...still holding onto both sets of my Star Wars LDs (the CAV "Definitive Collection," which can crush a man's skull Bill Brasky-style, and the CLV "Faces" discs), but it's always nice to know I can hock them in a pinch if I have to.

...Not that I ever *plan* on doing so, you understand. :D

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just watched this (to make sure it worked), and I also found the A/V to be leaps ahead of the last disc. Can't think of one flaw. I know there are 14 minutes added, but honestly I can't remember the theatrical cut enough to notice-the film didn't seem too long to me.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Mine played all seven or eight hours without a hitch, great DVD presentation.

BTW, I actually like the "Side A - Side B" rings to be on the same side of the disc, that way you know damn well which side is which, the side without the ring labels is obviously side B.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I fully agree with Kevin M and my DVD played without a hitch too.
And by the way, this "technically" isn't a flipper. A flipper is a DVD such as Schindler's List, Michael Collins, Dances with Wolves and others where the film is split over two sides of a disc. Just attempting to reiterate a point.:crazy:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Just wanna give a heads up that "The Frighteners" is in HD this month on the UniversalHD channel. Should look good and they do not crop 2:35-1 films. Also "They Live" and "Nightmares"

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks