1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Frighteners: Director's Cut - 11-29-05

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick Mirza, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Matt Czyz

I say go for it. But if money's tight, definitely at least rent it. If you like Jackson's other work, there's a pretty good chance you'll dig it.

2. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

only the German 4 DVD set has :

- DTS on the Director's Cut
    - both theatrical and Director's Cut

3. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

The German disc is PAL though. [​IMG]

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yeah, what good is DTS if it's sped up? Oh, and no King Kong ticket [​IMG]

5. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Another potential Universal DVD-18 problem. Jeez, couldn't see THIS coming...
    Felix, where was your disc manufactured? Mexico? We should keep track.
    I'm DEFINITELY getting the German PAL set, it might be sped up but at least it oughta play correctly. I've been burned by Universal DVD-18s' in the past so they ain't gettin' my dough.

And, the PAL version will probably look better anyways, with the extra. lines of res.

[​IMG] d

6. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

SamD
    I watched the entire DVD-18 of mine and not a problem. I suspect people who have problems "may" have old players.

7. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I may head to Brazil for this one. At least it will be NTSC (no DTS) and I don't think they do DVD-18s there. The Japanese disc doesn't look like it's going to be the director's cut as the specs still don't reflect it and the cover art makes no mention of "director's cut."

http://dvdworld.com.br/dvdworld.hts?+UP40260+acha

8. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

My "Abbott and Costello" Vol. 1 that I got stuck with because I didn't get it back to Tower Video in NYC within the allotted 14 day return for defects time period had the same issue in EVERY player I've had, and I've had several. And I currently have 3 players, 2 of which are less than one year old. I'm pretty sure that it's the disc. Otherwise why when people return discs for replacements do they often have trouble in completely different spots? (meaning not just at a layer change...) And if it were only player related, how come some people get replacement discs that then play fine? If indeed it is a player problem and all the discs are identical, how could a replacement disc play at ALL? Answer? Some of the discs themselves are defective IMHO.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Director

Michael Reuben
    There are no problems on either side of my R1 copy. Defective units are a risk with any title, but unless a lot more reports of problems surface, I don't see any reason (from a QA point of view) to avoid the R1 version.

M.

10. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet, as it appears many are able to play the disc without probs. I have quite a few DVD-18s and have not had probs. The copy of Frighteners I returned today failed at the injection scene (approx. 1:20) on three different players (Panny, Sony, and Toshiba), but did play on my Mac. Got my replacement copy and will check it tonite. It may just be a bad disc or at least one that may be just outside spec. Happens to the best of 'em! The only strange thing is that the defective disc was spotless - no visible flaws whatsoever.

I just posted my experience so that those who are interested can just quickly check their copy before sitting down to watch the entire movie.

Anyone else notice the two inner hub labels on the disc itself both reference the "Director's Cut" of the film? One would think the "Side B" inner label would list the "Special Features." Kinda defeats the purpose of the labels.

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

You are correct, Felix. I'll be the first to admit that I can be a bit conclusion-jumpy.

[​IMG] Good luck with the replacement!

12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I got mine yesterday and, scanning through the disc to make sure it's okay, had no problems. Can't believe I almost spent WAY more than this to acquire the LD a few years back. Whew!

13. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

sounds like Universal have recyled the old transfer [that description is pretty accurate for the old release). shame on them; it needed to be upgraded.

too bad, i might have considered this release.

14. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

I wouldn't pass on this release because of the transfer, which I'd give a 4 out of 5 on the scale. The documentary blows away anything I've seen covering a film.

15. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig

Even better than 30 days in Hell from The Devil's Rejects? I gotta watch it for sure then.

After all my blather, I broke down and bought the R1. It was pretty cheap, and if I like it enough, then I'll be movin' on up...

16. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Replacement copy is fine! I would still suggest checking the layer break at approx. 1:20:44 ("Near Death Experience" chapter) before settling in to watch the film.

I'm very pleased with the transfer/encoding. I agree with Mark - 4/5. Definitely *not* a recycled transfer.

5.1 mix is also very good with some very effective phantom imaging between the rears. Almost sounds like an EX mix. My only gripes - yes, a little ringing is visible in the image, but not distracting (I'm watching on a 92in FP set-up), and the low end of the 5.1 is a little "boomy," but some may like that.

Still, one of the best buys of the year! Fantastic price/package!

17. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    This showed up on the doorstep tonight, but it will be the weekend before I can watch it. I always wanted the Signature Collection laserdisc, but missed out. Now the entire 4.5 hour documentary (split across sides A&B, as noted) is available, plus two new brief PJ introductions. Personally, I would have liked this on 2 discs--I guess that Universal forgets that some of us have DVD changers.

I'll put up a review to Frighteners and Cinderella Man this weekend... check back!

- Steve

18. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

R. Ray Rogers II
    I bought this yesterday and I must say it has a really great looking cover which hasn't any quotes or anything. I'm gonna go to that www.horrordvds.com site and print out the insert stuff from the laserdisc in colour so I can have an insert for it.
    I watched the ENTIRE documentary which was on side B and alot of it was great. Although by the time it ended my ass started to go numb. Great docu from the great Peter Jackson. I've been asking for this for a long time and got exactly what I wished for. Top notch release for one of my favorite films. Now to watch the Director's Fun Cut sometime and get around to watching the rest of the features on side A.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    How's the PQ on the extras? Does it hold up on DVD? I know there were complaints about the way Universal ported the LD extras on the most recent Jaws disc.

DJ

20. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    Haven't got to the doc yet...

The movie presentation itself is certainly no disappointment to me. Looks pretty decent. As Felix says (and thanks for the potential problem time mark), the LF is a bit muddy or boomy, but it's not there a lot and isn't really awful anyway, just not as clean/defined as we've heard elsewhere.

Edit: watched about half the doc on side B, skimmed the storyboard part. The storyboard part is not anamorphic. The doc: well, if the feature looked like this, you'd be yelling pretty loud. It's mostly anamorphic (from what I saw in the first half), and PQ varies a fair bit. Lots of different types of filming are included. The parts with PJ look the best, the other stuff is kinda blaaah, from kinda fuzzy/washed-out to half-decent. I got the impression from the (new) PJ intro that this is the same stuff as on the LD, and it probably looks the same.

My DVD-18 seems to be working fine.