What's new

The "For Love or Money" thread (1 Viewer)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> You can take a lump sum present value of the $1 million prize.

Which obviously is way less than a million. Did the show even offer the option?

If I did the formula right in Excel, it's worth about $429k with a rate of 5%. I have no idea what rate they'd actually use. The higher the rate, the less the lump sum.

Is the word shit supposed to be politer with an e on the end?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's in the small print at the end of the show (the cash-out option), but again, it's all dependent on the interest rate. It's sort of like the same "all cash" option when you win a lottery in some states (or power-ball states).

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but when the Lotto jackpot is $50 million, the state doesn't write a $50 million check with your name on it, show you that when you buy your ticket, & imply they'll give you that check if you have the winning numbers. They make it clear that it's paid over a number of years (less than 40).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But the jackpot is given as the amount annualized over X number of years to generate ticket buying interest on a local level. Sure, it's semantics on NBC's part, but that's probably the only way they could play with the numbers to get the show on the air.

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, in Wisconsin if you win the Powerball(Yea, right, like it could really happen to me!) and want a cash payout right now it works out to something like a tad more then half and then comes the taxes. Roughly 1/3 the face value of the lotto total is a close approximation. So after I win the 240 Million tonight, I expect about 80 Million in my checking account after the greedy civil servants get ahold of it. Just the same, I suppose I'll just have to manage on that. Since I am quite sure that my One dollar investment will be the winner, any suggestions out there on how to spend some of the winnings on AV? I personally think a Mark Levinson Number 30 possessor, 6 Krell Monoblocks, and a Martin Logan Prodigy system(All around except a theater center) might be a good start.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks