What's new

The Donna Reed Show: SEASON 4 (1 Viewer)

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Bob_S.
Yeah, thanks for that added info, Greg. That does make me feel a little more at ease. Your teases are making my anticipation quite unbearable!

You're Very Welcome, Bob! I apologize if it looks like I am trying to tease you, that is certainly not my intention. It is just that I am not supposed to reveal so much about this project at this point in time, because the people that are now in charge of this Television Series, aren't as open as "Virgil Films & Entertainment" were when they had been contracted to release the seasons of "The Donna Reed Show." And I don't want to run the risk of ruining anything by making MPI or others-angry at me, merely because I had talked too much against their own wishes for me not to do so.... Believe me, if it were all up to me, I'd be on here all the time talking about 'Season 4' of "The Donna Reed Show" in minute detail!!! I think when all the various items on this DVD are actually completed by MPI and are a 'sure thing' in regards to this project, that it will hopefully be alright for me to discuss more about what is actually going to be included on this DVD Release!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That extra info is *GREAT*!!! I truly do not mind waiting for several reasons, not the least of which is that I'm so far behind on my TVonDVD watching that I'd feel somewhat guilty putting the rest on hiatus to watch S4 of "The Donna Reed Show"! But I'd do it anyway. :)
I am with you Bob!! I'd of course put everything aside in a nanosecond without question in order to watch 'Season 4' of "The Donna Reed Show!" In fact, I'll be carrying the DVD Box that contains this series around with me for a long span of time after I receive this DVD Release! I always do this whenever I receive any season release from this favorite 'Television Series' of mine. And from what I am anticipating concerning this very 'Special DVD Release' it will be quite a long time before I'll let these particular DVDs out of my sight!!!!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Let me add my thanks to Greg/Mark (what is your name anyway?). I've teased you about your overflowing exclamation points since as a writer I am sensitive to such uses and abuses, haha, but no one can doubt your passion and enthusiasm for the subject at hand, so the !!!!!!!!!!!! are warranted.

I still haven't watched the first three seasons yet, so I am in no hurry for the next one, but, of course, I would much rather have it on my shelf waiting for me to catch up than not being available. I just hope I end up enjoying the series as much as I did in reruns when I was a kid. Lately some of my beloved vintage shows, e.g. THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW, THE DORIS DAY SHOW, have been really disappointing to say the least.

Anyway, thanks for the stream of updates and your undeniable excitement over same. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Echo
Let me add my thanks to Greg/Mark (what is your name anyway?). I've teased you about your overflowing exclamation points since as a writer I am sensitive to such uses and abuses, haha, but no one can doubt your passion and enthusiasm for the subject at hand, so the !!!!!!!!!!!! are warranted.

I still haven't watched the first three seasons yet, so I am in no hurry for the next one, but, of course, I would much rather have it on my shelf waiting for me to catch up than not being available. I just hope I end up enjoying the series as much as I did in reruns when I was a kid. Lately some of my beloved vintage shows, e.g. THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW, THE DORIS DAY SHOW, have been really disappointing to say the least.

Anyway, thanks for the stream of updates and your undeniable excitement over same. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glen,

You won't be disappointed when you get to this show on your dvd's. This is one of the best buys I have in my collection. It'll hold up for you, imo. I'm viewing S1, over halfway complete.

Btw, "pkg received". Tell your bro 'Thanks' ;)

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc

Thank you 'Professor Echo' for your very kind words of encouragement!!! My name is actually Mark, and my Screen Name is Greg.

Anyway, I don't think you will be disappointed at all in "The Donna Reed Show!" In my opinion it is far above the quality of both "The Mothers-In-Law" and "The Doris Day Show." I am so glad you enjoy my updates, it does make it all worthwhile!!!!!!

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Greg2356

Thank you 'Professor Echo' for your very kind words of encouragement!!! My name is actually Mark, and my Screen Name is Greg.

Anyway, I don't think you will be disappointed at all in "The Donna Reed Show!" In my opinion it is far above the quality of both "The Mothers-In-Law" and "The Doris Day Show." I am so glad you enjoy my updates, it does make it all worthwhile!!!!!!
Okay, first off, let me say that I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of "The Doris Day Show" and it remains my absolute favorite tv show on dvd that I own. So everyone's taste is different. BUT... I am also a fan of "The Donna Reed Show" and "The Mothers-In-Law" and I'm sure there are fans out there that can recall the very lengthy wait for "The Mothers-In-Law". In fact, almost the exact same thing happened. It was said that they were hoping for a Mother's Day release (which would make sense) for "The Mothers-In-Law" but when that didn't happen, fans were in an uproar, myself included. Before that, it was literally over a year's wait before any info was released. Then, finally, in late July 2010, the dvd set was released. Delays were said to be caused by the lengthy remastering process as well as amazing bonus features which needed time in production.

So, I'm sure MPI intends to release this set eventually. But I do trust Greg's word that there is a lot of work to be done. So (and I'm only speculating here), I would not expect this title to be released before 2012. If it does, then that is a wonderful surprise. But waiting for new every day is unlikely, I'm afraid. My only hope is that we don't have to go through this waiting again following Season 5 for the remaining seasons. Anyhow, thanks for all the info Greg. It is much appreciated.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Robert13
Okay, first off, let me say that I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of "The Doris Day Show" and it remains my absolute favorite tv show on dvd that I own.
!!!

To be fair, I am just finishing up the first season of THE DORIS DAY SHOW and as much as I am in love with her, particularly at this point in her life when I thought she looked her most beautiful and sexy, this first season has just seemed so...slight to me, a whole lotta nothin'. If I recall correctly, I think even Doris Day thought so and the format was changed from then on.

(One of the most missed casting opportunities in all of Hollywood history was when she turned down, at her husband's urging, the role of Mrs. Robinson in THE GRADUATE. I can only imagine how exceptional she would have been in that great film and it's a shame she got such dubious advice from her husband. When I watch that film and then compare it to the first season of THE DORIS DAY SHOW, I can't help but wonder what might have been had her husband not been such a financially reckless and controlling Svengali. But such misguided casting decisions are legendary. What would Elvis' movie career been like if he hadn't listened to the Colonel and starred in Lumet's THE FUGITIVE KIND or years later in Streisand's A STAR IS BORN? We'll never know...).

Anyway, off topic. At least Donna Reed didn't turn down FROM HERE TO ETERNITY.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
By the way, season 4, for the most part, was syndicated. When the show's syndication package was cut by 100 episodes from 275 down to 175, it was seasons 6 & 7 which were eliminated entirely. The remaining 38 shows that were dropped came from all over the rest of the run.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
By the way, season 4, for the most part, was syndicated. When the show's syndication package was cut by 100 episodes from 275 down to 175, it was seasons 6 & 7 which were eliminated entirely. The remaining 38 shows that were dropped came from all over the rest of the run.

Yes 'Season Four' was syndicated before the syndicated package was cut by 99 episodes from 274 down to 175. Here's the break down of all the episodes from "The Donna Reed Show" season by season: Season One: 37 episodes. Season Two: 38 episodes. Season Three: 38 episodes. Season Four: 39 episodes. Season Five: 34 episodes. Season Six: 32 episodes. Season Seven: 30 episodes, and Season Eight: 27 episodes.

Here is exactly where the 99 episodes were extracted from when they had cut down the 'Syndication Rerun Package' of episodes from "The Donna Reed Show." Out of the 39 episodes from 'Season 4' all but two episodes were taken out among it's 39 episodes. And the first of the two episodes that were left in from 'Season 4' was an episode entitled, "A Rose is a Rose" featuring Paul Petersen and the other episode that was left in from Season 4 was entitled, "Mouse At Play." with Guest Stars: Cloris Leachman & John Astin. So a grand total of 37 episodes were taken out of 'Season 4' from among it's 39 episodes. And so 32 episodes were taken out of 'Season 6.' As well as in 'Season 7' with all it's 30 episodes being extracted. So 37 + 32 + 30 equals 99 episodes being cut from the "Syndicated Package of Reruns" in regards to "The Donna Reed Show." I have the original synopsis for the syndicated episodes from the "Screen Gems Studio" where it shows where these particular episodes that I had mentioned here were extracted from concerning these 'Syndicated Rerun Package' of episodes from "The Donna Reed Show."

And they were originally supposed to film four more episodes for 'Season Eight,' but Donna Reed wasn't feeling too well at that particular time ever since she had taken a trip to India the previous summer. She unfortunately had caught a strong bug in which she had a rather difficult time in shaking off during that time period. Paul Petersen was very disappointed that these four episodes were never filmed before this TV Series had ended with their filming of first run shows.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Robert13
So, I'm sure MPI intends to release this set eventually. But I do trust Greg's word that there is a lot of work to be done. So (and I'm only speculating here), I would not expect this title to be released before 2012. If it does, then that is a wonderful surprise. But waiting for new every day is unlikely, I'm afraid. My only hope is that we don't have to go through this waiting again following Season 5 for the remaining seasons. Anyhow, thanks for all the info Greg. It is much appreciated.

Thank you Robert, it is my pleasure to post here in this forum. And concerning 'Season 5' of "The Donna Reed Show," it was remastered in the 1980's by the "Nick at Night" television network. They had used the original 35 Mil (4K Masters) which were the original Camera Negatives from the then 28+ year old film that were transformed into Pristine 35mm positive prints. So hopefully 'Season 5' won't take as long to prepare if indeed MPI can get a hold of these remastered print copies. It also depends if MPI might want to remaster them again themselves. I guess time will tell, we can only hope for the very best!!

Thanks Again!

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
!!!

To be fair, I am just finishing up the first season of THE DORIS DAY SHOW and as much as I am in love with her, particularly at this point in her life when I thought she looked her most beautiful and sexy, this first season has just seemed so...slight to me, a whole lotta nothin'. If I recall correctly, I think even Doris Day thought so and the format was changed from then on.
Yeah, her fans seem to be divided when it comes to that first season. They either love it or hate it. I have to be honest, when I first started watching the show, I wasn't sure what to expect since I had heard about all of the format changes. But I love every season. Season 1 is a peaceful season. For me, that's what I love about it. There are scenes that show Doris enjoying nights on the porch with her family. But when we get to "Today's World", other characters are introduced and the show changes. But, for me, it always retained that peaceful atmosphere with a few crazy antics and hilarious results. But, hey, I'm biased. I love everything Doris is in.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Yes 'Season Four' was syndicated before the syndicated package was cut by 100 episodes from 275 down to 175. Here's the break down of all the episodes from "The Donna Reed Show" season by season: Season One: 37 episodes. Season Two: 38 episodes. Season Three: 38 episodes. Season Four: 39 episodes. Season Five: 34 episodes. Season Six: 32 episodes. Season Seven: 30 episodes, and Season Eight: 27 episodes.

Here is exactly where the 100 episodes were extracted from when they had cut down the 'Syndication Rerun Package' of episodes from "The Donna Reed Show." Out of the 39 episodes from "Season 4" all but one episode was taken out among it's 39 episodes, and this one episode that was left in was entitled, "Mouse At Play." with Guest Stars: Cloris Leachman & John Astin. So a grand total of 38 episodes were taken out of 'Season 4' from among it's 39 episodes. And then all 32 episodes were taken out of 'Season 6.' As well as in 'Season 7' with all it's 30 episodes being extracted. So 38 + 32 + 30 equals 100 episodes being cut from the "Syndicated Package of Reruns" in regards to "The Donna Reed Show." I have the original synopsis from the "Screen Gems Studio" where it shows precisely where these particular episodes that I had mentioned here were extracted from concerning these 'Syndicated Rerun Package' of episodes from "The Donna Reed Show."

And they were originally supposed to film four more episodes for 'Season Eight,' but Donna Reed wasn't feeling too well at that particular time ever since she had taken a trip to India the previous summer. She unfortunately had caught a strong bug in which she had a rather difficult time in shaking off during that time period. Paul Petersen was very disappointed that these four episodes were never filmed before this TV Series had ended with their filming of first run shows.
Thanks for the correction. I got some bad info from someone who had watched them off Nick in the 80s. Do you know when they did the cut down of the package? Because I certainly remember watching all of the Patty/Dave Kelsey seasons in reruns.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

Here is exactly where the 100 episodes were extracted from when they had cut down the 'Syndication Rerun Package' of episodes from "The Donna Reed Show." Out of the 39 episodes from "Season 4" all but one episode was taken out among it's 39 episodes, and this one episode that was left in was entitled, "Mouse At Play." with Guest Stars: Cloris Leachman & John Astin. So a grand total of 38 episodes were taken out of 'Season 4' from among it's 39 episodes. And then all 32 episodes were taken out of 'Season 6.' As well as in 'Season 7' with all it's 30 episodes being extracted. So 38 + 32 + 30 equals 100 episodes being cut from the "Syndicated Package of Reruns" in regards to "The Donna Reed Show."
Out of curiosity, why was season 5 spared the cut?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green

Out of curiosity, why was season 5 spared the cut?
Just a guess but Season 5 was Mary's last season as a regular and when Trish arrived. If they skipped Season 5 you wouldn't know where Mary went and how Trish came to live with the Stones.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hi Mark (Greg)

Thanks for your continued (and much appreciated) updates on the DVD situation...you should ask MPI to put you on the payroll as their chief publicist :)

Have you ever thought of writing (or spearheading) a book on the history of the "Donna Reed Show"? To my knowledge one has never been done. With your knowledge base and contact with Mary Owen you would be in a good position to bring some real insight above and beyond a typical episode guide type book. Both Shelley F and Paul P have historically seemed very open to discussing this series and hopefully would contribute to such a book. I don't know to what extent Carl Betz has surviving family but any that exist could be interviewed as well.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve...O
Hi Mark (Greg)

Thanks for your continued (and much appreciated) updates on the DVD situation...you should ask MPI to put you on the payroll as their chief publicist :)

Have you ever thought of writing (or spearheading) a book on the history of the "Donna Reed Show"? To my knowledge one has never been done. With your knowledge base and contact with Mary Owen you would be in a good position to bring some real insight above and beyond a typical episode guide type book. Both Shelley F and Paul P have historically seemed very open to discussing this series and hopefully would contribute to such a book. I don't know to what extent Carl Betz has surviving family but any that exist could be interviewed as well.
I'd like to second Steve's motion that Mark write a book about "The Donna Reed Show." I know it would be excellent!

Gary "thanks for your continued work, Mark" O.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Thanks for the correction. I got some bad info from someone who had watched them off Nick in the 80s. Do you know when they did the cut down of the package? Because I certainly remember watching all of the Patty/Dave Kelsey seasons in reruns.
I wish that I did know the exact date of when they had cut the package down, since I have been very curious about this myself! Some people swear it had happened in the very early 80's, but I have a feeling it might have been in the mid to late 70's. I have some friends who say they were watching the Patty/Dave Kelsey seasons in the early 70's. The last time I can remember all the seasons being aired from "The Donna Reed Show" in my area was like in 1970. And when "The Donna Reed Show" started airing once again where I live in 1983 which was two years before "Nick at Nite" had started to broadcast it, the exact same episodes from seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, and 8 were aired with the same single episode being shown from the 'Fourth Season,' just as "Nick at Nite" had presented this series beginning in September of 1985. I sure hope someday, that we can get all eight seasons of this series on DVD. Some of us are just beginning to work on this, but it will take so much negotiation time back and forth in order to get the job done!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
In the 80s, it became common practice to cut down shows which had huge amounts of episodes. Among the other series this happened with were Make Room for Daddy (years 10 & 11 taken out, 1-4 were never in the package), Beverly Hillbillies, Bewitched (1st 2 seasons), I Dream of Jeannie (1st season), Rawhide and I'm sure quite a few others that don't come immediately to mind. The thinking was that all you really needed was 130 episodes to strip the show and be able to go a half year without having to run the same episode twice. Anything more than that wasn't necessary.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
In the 80s, it became common practice to cut down shows which had huge amounts of episodes. Among the other series this happened with were Make Room for Daddy (years 10 & 11 taken out, 1-4 were never in the package), Beverly Hillbillies, Bewitched (1st 2 seasons), I Dream of Jeannie (1st season), Rawhide and I'm sure quite a few others that don't come immediately to mind. The thinking was that all you really needed was 130 episodes to strip the show and be able to go a half year without having to run the same episode twice. Anything more than that wasn't necessary.
Thanks for the info Neil! I can't stand the practice of shows being cut down, I feel it very much takes away from the original quality of these series.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Garysb
Just a guess but Season 5 was Mary's last season as a regular and when Trish arrived. If they skipped Season 5 you wouldn't know where Mary went and how Trish came to live with the Stones.
My thoughts exactly! A very good explanation with some sound reasoning on your part, Gary!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks