What's new

The Donna Reed Show: SEASON 4 (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HunterMan said:
Maybe someday I'll spend the $ to get MPI's re-release sets...but I already have the original sets of Seasons 1-3, so I'm not sure spending that much more $ for something I already have is warranted at this time. I'm more interested in spending the $ for Seasons 6-8...yeah, I know, like that'll ever happen. :P I really don't know if Sony will ever relent and allow the last 3 seasons to be released...they've always been "trouble" when it comes to releasing the older shows they own--even when there's a large fanbase begging. It's almost like they know people want it so they're purposely not going to give it to them. ;)
The recent wave of Sony shows coming from Shout Factory could be promising for more Donna Reed. I guess it all comes down to money and negotiating.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
The Obsolete Man said:
The recent wave of Sony shows coming from Shout Factory could be promising for more Donna Reed. I guess it all comes down to money and negotiating.
The problem might be that there are no new masters for those seasons. Nick@NIte only ran S8 and there may also be issues with the Bob Crane estate. I do hope I'm wrong, though. I would LOVE MPI to release every episode of Donna.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
As much as I love what Shout! has done recently for stalled series, I, too, would rather see MPI release the entire series. I already own the original Virgil releases of S1-3 so for me there are already 2 distributors involved. It would pain me for a 3rd to actually finish releasing the series, although I'd still make the purchase. I just can't see why MPI would have become involved in this release if they didn't see *some* glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel for releasing all the seasons. Even though there was only *one* season left they *did* release the entire run of My Favorite Martian and did it better than Rhino.

Does anyone own, or have access to, both the Virgil *and* MPI releases of S1? Other than different packaging, what, if any, differences are there in the releases? My OCD wants those MPI releases but if there are no differences in the actual episodes I can live with the originals.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
The Obsolete Man said:
I haven't heard anything about Shout! Factory having any interest in, or even having rights/financial business with, releasing anything "Donna Reed Show". So, even if Sony has made deals with Shout for several of its shows--I don't think "DRS" will be one of them.

BobO'Link said:
As much as I love what Shout! has done recently for stalled series, I, too, would rather see MPI release the entire series. I already own the original Virgil releases of S1-3 so for me there are already 2 distributors involved. It would pain me for a 3rd to actually finish releasing the series, although I'd still make the purchase. I just can't see why MPI would have become involved in this release if they didn't see *some* glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel for releasing all the seasons. Even though there was only *one* season left they *did* release the entire run of My Favorite Martian and did it better than Rhino.

Does anyone own, or have access to, both the Virgil *and* MPI releases of S1? Other than different packaging, what, if any, differences are there in the releases? My OCD wants those MPI releases but if there are no differences in the actual episodes I can live with the originals.
MPI became involved when the rights were removed from Virgil and given to them...mainly because MPI could seriously restore and work with gaining back the music rights for Seasons 4-5. I don't know if they were even thinking about Seasons 6-8 when they became involved with the show? At the time they came on board the main objective was to get Seasons 4-5 out, which they ultimately did. But, it will be a "chore" most likely to get Sony to relent and work some kind of deal with them for those last 3 seasons...I'm not holding my breath :blink:...but one can hope! :)

I don't know what differences there are (other than cover art/packaging) or if there are any between Arts Alliance & Virgil's original releases of Seasons 1-3, and what MPI is putting out with their re-rleases?? As I stated earlier I'm sticking with my original sets for now...maybe at some point I'll purchase MPI's re-release sets. But, I'm not looking to spend too much $$ unless someone releases Seasons 6-8.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i wont be getting this show for quite awhile - not until all seasons are released properly by 1 company.

all this haphazard rig-a-ma-roll is not my cup of tea. i see it as just another way of milking customers for all they can, knowing full well that many, if not most, will rebuy the whole darn thing once it does have a proper release.

as i have said in the past, dont buy into this crap, and they will have no one to sell to. already, our releases have improved markedly.

but we still have all the old shoddy releases to deal with - that come back to hurt us today, when we are all clamoring for 1 GOOD RELEASE.

a good show like this should have a quality release done by 1 company, so that all seasons and discs fall under 1 heading, instead of looking like a mish-mash.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
jimmyjet said:
i wont be getting this show for quite awhile - not until all seasons are released properly by 1 company.

all this haphazard rig-a-ma-roll is not my cup of tea. i see it as just another way of milking customers for all they can, knowing full well that many, if not most, will rebuy the whole darn thing once it does have a proper release.

as i have said in the past, dont buy into this crap, and they will have no one to sell to. already, our releases have improved markedly.

but we still have all the old shoddy releases to deal with - that come back to hurt us today, when we are all clamoring for 1 GOOD RELEASE.

a good show like this should have a quality release done by 1 company, so that all seasons and discs fall under 1 heading, instead of looking like a mish-mash.
Well, jimmy, we'd all love to have whatever shows we like to have full releases by one company, and have the quality be superb. But, I'd love for all cancer to be cured and greed & cruelness to go away too. ;) But, sometimes it just doesn't happen that easily and we have to learn to deal and/or live with what we do have.

I'm still unbelievably grateful that any seasons of "DRS" have been released to DVD--I remember a time when that was most likely not going to happen & I hadn't seen episodes since the Nick@Nite days. I will support or purchase whatever seasons (most likely once however) are released by whatever company...something is better than nothing! :thumbs-up-smiley:

If we all refused to buy any DVD sets because we assumed the quality wasn't totally "perfect" (however I have not had any problems or issues with any of the seasons released so far) then the media market today would assume there was not a profitable market for the show anymore...and no one would try or attempt to release it, and we'd not see any of it! That's not cool with me!! :eek:

I believe that because lots of fans bought up the first 3 seasons (as they are out of print, hard to find, are considered rare, and now very expensive on say ebay or amazon), and lots of media attention was brought to the release of Seasons 4-5...all this is showing the entertainment world that there is still a strong market for the show, and will hopefully someday get Sony's rear in gear to allow MPI (or some other company) to release the last 3 seasons! :)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Kasey said:
'''
The problem might be that there are no new masters for those seasons. Nick@NIte only ran S8 and there may also be issues with the Bob Crane estate. I do hope I'm wrong, though. I would LOVE MPI to release every episode of Donna.
I'm curious to know what the issues are with Bob Crane's estate. Did he own a piece of the show?

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Ron Lee Green said:
I'm curious to know what the issues are with Bob Crane's estate. Did he own a piece of the show?
He didn't own a piece of the show, but I had heard years ago that the reason that Seasons 6 and 7 were not in syndication were because of issues with his estate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks