What's new

The Disaster Artist (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Almost no one left at my screening, so I think everybody knew that the credits tag was there. But the theater still put the lights up at the beginning of the credits, so there was some glare on the screen for the tag.

I saw it this afternoon and liked it very much, although it doesn't really make me very curious to watch The Room at all, which just seems like a terrible movie.

James Franco (as an actor) seems like the best shot for the film's awards nominations hopes, but I doubt he will win. So far, it seems like Gary Oldman for The Darkest Hour is the favorite.

It was interesting to watch this in light of the harassment allegations that have cropped up around the industry of late, not because anyone from this film has been accused of anything, but because Tommy's behavior on set toward everyone is really abusive. I get that he was financing the movie, but if it were me, I would have quit, rather than putting up with those conditions.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
James Franco hosted SNL tonight and had some pretty good moments. There wasn't an explicit "Room" sketch but Disaster Artist was referenced a few times. I can't wait to see it - hopefully Monday.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I really enjoyed this.. laughed a lot; but I appreciated that it didn't mock Wiseau as much as it just showed a guy who wanted to be something and his friendship. Maybe he was a kook, but he wasn't a bad guy or anything, just strange. There are some scenes with big laughs.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I've never actually seen The Room, but I know of it from the Nostalgia Critic's review, so I feel like I have seen it. NC is extremely good at representing the films he reviews in his 20-30 minute videos, at least judging from the reviews he's done of films I've actually seen. The Room always seemed like an amazingly horrible POS. I've been looking forward to this for a while now. Not sure when we'll make it to the theater next (or rather after we see Star Wars next weekend). But this is at the top of my "to-see" list post-SW.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Funny that a film about filming a huge flop seems like it's going to be very successful.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This is a terrific movie.
Used Movie Pass today for it.

James Franco was great as tommy W.
He really channeled him. I hope he gets nominated too.

I give it a 3.75 out of 5.

BTW - How Did This Get Made, Paul Scheer's podcast latest ep is on this movie.
It replays their early ep #23 on the Room and is updated with interviews with everyone from the Disaster Artist.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A24 saw a steep -58.6% drop this weekend for The Disaster Artist, despite adding 170 more theaters.

I wonder if this was just really aversely affected by the presence of Star Wars, or if, perhaps, fans of The Room made it extremely frontloaded last weekend.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
A24 saw a steep -58.6% drop this weekend for The Disaster Artist, despite adding 170 more theaters.

I wonder if this was just really aversely affected by the presence of Star Wars, or if, perhaps, fans of The Room made it extremely frontloaded last weekend.
Not like I'm an authority but I'd put it on Star Wars.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree. We'll see if it levels off in the coming weeks, but there's an onslaught of awards buzzy adult titles coming for the end of the year.

Franco seems to be its biggest awards bet, and he is not the frontrunner, which has to be Gary Oldman at this point.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hmm. I'm curious about The Room to some extent but not particularly interested in paying Fathom prices ($13.58, significantly higher than the standard pricing here) to see a terrible movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. I'm curious about The Room to some extent but not particularly interested in paying Fathom prices ($13.58, significantly higher than the standard pricing here) to see a terrible movie.
The entertainment comes from seeing it in a theater of people laughing at how bad it is. I don't know that I could blame for you for not thinking that that's worth $13 though. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe not. MP doesnt work for Fathom showings unless you get a glitch in the listing on the app.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah. I don't use MoviePass but I think that Fathom shows, because they are higher-priced than normal, would probably count on their exclusions list, like you can't use it for 3D or IMAX upcharged things. Even though The Room is a standard 2D film, it is being priced as an event rather than as a typical movie screening and there isn't a workaround to that, unless you want to pay for something else and go into The Room instead. As long as your theater doesn't have reserved seating, that is probably doable, but it is not something I would do personally.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The entertainment comes from seeing it in a theater of people laughing at how bad it is. I don't know that I could blame for you for not thinking that that's worth $13 though. :)

There were all of 3 people in my screening today, so not a lot of infectious laughter to be found! :)

I enjoyed it, though I didn't think it was anything special. It felt like "Bowfinger" Meets "Ed Wood".

Basically a bromance that embraces mockumentary elements, I admit I'm not quite sure what makes it Oscar-worthy, but it's an entertaining 90-something movie...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm seeing this tomorrow although I have no idea why they would put this in IMAX.

Me either. Although I would see every film in IMAX if available.

This does not seem like something that it would be worth paying the IMAX surcharge for. Also, it's particularly bizarre that they would bother.

Seems to me the IMAX screenings were playing along with the joke - the movie's not "IMAX material" at all, so playing it on that grandiose platform is a wink-wink gag.

And it's pretty funny, IMO! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks