The Devil's Backbone (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Scott
Glad to hear that you loved this film. Perhaps your rave review might finally get more HTF members to see this great film since those of us that have been trying failed.;)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Well, Tino, if it makes you feel any better, I lovd it too, and bought the DVD as soon as it came out near me. Hope that helps. :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this is Del Toro's best film to date! Very moody, tense, and haunting. I think it will only get better on repeat viewings.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Cripes, don't give me this "better than Signs" out of both Edwin and Tino. What's the world coming to? :p)

I saw this because Tino pushed it on me. I enjoyed it but found it a bit too formula as a ghost story to "love". Solid film that just didn't strike that magic chord with me.

Oddly enough (or not) Signs did, though it obviously did not with others.

Of course, Scott, you can apply this one to your Halloween challenge (which might be why you were watching it anyway).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Oh, The Devil's Backbone isn't just a little better than Signs. It's a LOT better! :)
Glad to see that you caught this one Scott. My first viewing was a few months after the R1 DVD release, and I was entranced by the film's pace and atmosphere. As good as Eduardo Noriega was in his role as Jacinto, my favorite performance was from Federico Luppi. The sense of refuge, or haven that the orphanage represented was embodied in his character. Additionally, I thought the film was beautifully shot by Guillermo Navarro. The film's use of light was superb, particularly in some of the later scenes on the plains surrounding the orphanage. Certainly one of the better films of the year.
- Walter.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if Backbone is 'better' than Signs or The Others (though I did make a comparison last night).
There's just something to be said for 'discovering' a movie you knew very little about. That kind of unexpected impact could make a movie seem more impressive than a big-budget mega-flick that we've all been dying to see for 5 months.
I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I like to just rate a movie on its own merits and leave the "greater than - lesser than" issue to the Math teachers.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
this movie makes me want to weep when I think of the rumors that Guililermo del Toro turned down the first option on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (alfonso Cuaron is great, but god, think of what delToro could have done with it and the power he'd have been able to wield if it had suceeded (though I imagine for him the tradeoff would have been insane amounts of control on the project by others)).
I've seen this three times since buying it blind (because Harry Knowles ranked it above LOTR on his best of the year stuff, fyi Battle Royale was number one). And it just doesn't cease to amaze me. The first thing I really picked up on was the underlying Lord of the Flies current that seems to be imbedded in the story. For example Santi = Simon, Jaime = Jack, Carlos = Ralph. There's a pseudo power struggle/friendship between Jaime and Carlos, Santi was slain, and of course there's the kill the pig scene at the end.
I'm not sure if the Lord of the Flies references are mere homages or a deeper allegoy, but certainly they are there. From what someone quoted Guillermo Del Toro about his jesuit schooling, I'd imagine the book had a profound impact on him when he initially read it (probably in high school).
As to the bomb I like the idea of it as another visual symbol supporting the motif of lost potential (suspension someone else said which is probably a much better conveyed concept), like the spinal bifida babies, the relationship of Carmen and Cesares (and perhaps even Cesares' impotence and Carmen's missing leg), and of course 'the prince without a kingdom' .
Is it better than Signs, the Sixth Sense, or The Others? what a totally meaningless comparison, those are all spectacular films (and I like the Others least of the four, though that's no insult). Each individual film has it's strength. Sixth Sense's strength was the child trying to cope with the supernatural power inside of him; "The Others" strength was a mother's conception of her own sanity while trying to protect her family; "Sign"'s strength was the power and importance of family and faith; and "Devil's Backbone" was a community of children that are forced into terrible circumstances. I personally can't fault the technical or performance execution of any of the above films, and the themes dealt with are so different from film to film that it's meaningless to compare them (this is why I don't like genres they allow for snap judgements and immediate pigeonholing of films or stories) as which is better. They are all very fine films that every individual is going to have a preference for favorite based on how the material of the story personnally resonated with them. This of course assumes the viewer immerses themselves in the film and doesn't hold themselves above it for 'analysis' or to try-to-figure-it-out.
btw, what does everyone think of the significance of the Count of Monte Cristo comics, a subtle way of reinforcing the characters that desire escape? Or just an homage, or nod to del toro's childhood schooling and his comparison of it to prison.
heh, one of my favorite touches in the film is that jaime draws like an average eleven-twelve year old, he's not some supergenius that turns in alex ross and jack kirby level work :D
Adam

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The main reason I'm seeing Hellboy is due to it being directed by Guillermo Del Toro who did such a fantastic job with The Devil's Backbone.
Forget those other so called "horror" films, this one is the real deal!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Also late (REAL LATE) to the party. I knew the film was a few years back...I didn't know it was FIVE YEARS OLD :)
But it shows what a massive talent del Toro is, something Blade II and Hellboy merely hinted at. In preps for Pan's Labyrinth, I finally utilized Netflix to screen this film (alone, at night) this evening. A wise choice. I was utterly mesmerized by the opening sequences...FANTASTIC music to set the mood. The film went back and forth a few times in tone (intentionally), but was always balanced. Great young actors, great effects, and beautiful cinematography. The story itself was haunting...in a poetic, sad, and hopeful way.
2001 just gets stronger as a year thanks to this gem. I'll be purchasing this one...I haven't said that much about what I Netflix. Easy choice here.
High praise for this film. Sorry it took me so long to catch up.
9.5/10,
Chuck

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Glad you liked it Chuck. This remains one of my all-time favourites and the main reason I am always interested in what del Toro is up to next (didn't like Blade but saw Blade II on the basis he was director).

Really looking forward to Pan's Labyrinth.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I remember few specifics of the plot at this point (2002), but the dark melancholy (not bitter sweet!) and deep sadness which permeates this thing is still very fresh.

A good movie, but not one I am too eager to revisit.

--

H

Mary M S

Screenwriter
This was the first film I rented upon recomendation garnered from lurking here at the forum on many movie discussions.

Perfect pick for that Oct a couple of years back, I rented and watched it on Halloween, and it was terrific to find something new I had not heard of for the night.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Del Toro would be a great pick for Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. :) I'd love to see his vision of the Cave sequence, damn that'd be awesome.
love this movie.
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks