The Devil's Backbone

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Simon Massey, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    I saw this last week, and thought it was an amazing film. A very creepy Spanish ghost story, which is directed by the bloke who is directing Blade 2. I had no intention of going to see Blade 2, as I hated the first, but this film has changed my mind. Anyone know of any other films he has done (I think he did one called Cronos) ? Anyone know if this has been released in the US yet because I want the DVD NOW

This film, with Amelie and Brotherhood of the Wolf, are among my favourites of the last year

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'm dying to see this one! There was one Philadelphia screening, but I missed it!

I'll gladly fork over a few bucks once it hits the screens!

3. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Cronos is a terrific film, but it's not available on DVD (at least not in Region 1).
    Guillermo del Toro also directed the US made Mimic, which IS available on DVD.

4. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

I think the cinematography in this film is exceptional. Wonderful night stuff, and interior shadow detail.

To your question, it is limited theatrical release currently, and not on DVD yet. And, unfortunately, when it does come out expect it to feature a sub par transfer. Unless Sony Pictures Classics throws money at it they will likely have to go with this transfer, which I believe was done in Mexico at some point.

5. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I saw this movie last September at the Toronto Film Festival. When I went to see it, I wasn't expecting much and came out of the theater pleasantly surprised.

I'm happy to hear that it's actually being made (slightly) accessible for more people to see.

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sounds good. I enjoyed Cronos and thought Mimic was better than most films of its type. I'll put The Devil's Backbone on my list...

7. Simon Massey

Simon Massey
    For those that haven't managed to catch this, and have can play R2 PAL discs, the film is set for release on DVD in the UK for 25th March, with anamorphic picture and DD5.1 sound.

Extras include a commentary by the director, behind the scenes featurette. storyboards, trailer, and "Special Effect Shot Creation"

8. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

It's been reported on another forum that a R1 release is tentatively due this June:

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Mimic is one of my all time fave creepy-crawler thrillers. Good story, decent effects, and the sound and sound effects editing are very creepy. Avoid Mimic 2 at all costs, however. No involvement from del Toro and only the most tenuous connection to the first film (and just generally bad all around, IMO).
    I am looking forward to Blade 2 (but I also liked the first one). [​IMG]

10. Raymond Grimmy

Raymond Grimmy Auditioning

11. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I just saw the trailer for this one. It looks intriguing. I'm planning on catching it when it comes around in my area.

~Edwin

12. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Scott,

Just got email from the County Theater in Doylestown (you can take the R5 to the doylestown train station, and walk up to State St, and the County is right there). They're going to be showing The Devil's Backbone starting the 12th.

13. Simon Massey

Simon Massey

14. William DAnnucci

William DAnnucci Stunt Coordinator

Del Toro mentioned in his Entertainment Weekly (I think it was that mag) interview that CRONOS is coming out on an anniversary special edition. Special Edition DVDs of DEVIL'S BACKBONE and BLADE II will follow.

As a Del Toro fan, I am very happy.

15. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Del Toro gets a lot from the child actors who play the orphans in the film and the child violence portrayed in the film came from his own experiences. Del Toro: "...every episode of child violence in the movie I saw perpetrated or I was a victim of. This is when I was attending an all-male Jesuit school, which is very close to a prison experience in a strange way. I saw a child stabbed with a compass in the belly ... a very young kid lose some of his front teeth while being smashed on the corner of a column by other kids. And the scariest thing for the kid was that even if this was reported, the other kids would say, “We were just playing” and nothing would be done about it. It was very, very scary. So the movie is very personal for me in that sense."
    The Devil’s Backbone is a very effective drama and a thriller. It is even a better film should one choose to interpret it beyond a conventional horror film.
    ~Edwin

16. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Wow!
    What a surprise. The Devil's Backbone is one of the best "ghost" stories I have seen. However calling it simply a "ghost" story does not do it justice.
    I had heard little about the film, and I remember Edwin telling me he was about to see it and then I forgot about it. What a fool I was.
    This was a smart, well made atmospheric ghost story with some of the best child acting around (and the adults weren't too shabby either). A deep film with many layers, great character development, moody cinematography,eerie score and many scares.
    But it's more than that, as has been mentioned above. It's somewhat similar to The Sixth Sense and The Others, but is braver and more daring than either of those two films.
    Horror/Suspense/Ghost fans, this one is right up your alley. Plus you'll get even more that you were expecting.
    I sure did. Bravo![​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I'm surprised not many more people have seen this since the DVD came out about a month or so ago. The film made a few critics' Top Ten list last year.

18. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Yes Edwin, I enjoyed The Devil's Backbone more than Signs. It had a better story, more suspense and more originality. And as I told you, I went out this morning and purchased it.[​IMG]
    I cannot recommend this film enough. It has slipped through the cracks here at the HTF and I truly believe that if genre fans gave this film a chance, they would enjoy it very much.
    A Ghost Is What I Am...

19. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Wowee Wow Wow. I just got done watching this one. I LOVE this movie!
    The guy who plays Jacinto is simply fantastic! The music, the cinematography, the unbelievably strong performances by the kids...
    It's creepy but not scary in a cheap way, it's sad and touching but not sappy or trite, and it's simply a feast for the eyes.
    I could say more, but I need to save something for my review! [​IMG]
    I realize the film works on the 'political allegory' level, but I was hoping someone could fill me in as to the history so I can be a little more informed when I start writing.
    And also...
    I'd like to see some ideas on what the bomb symbolizes. (Use spoiler tags if you see fit.)
    I can see why this one was compared closely to The Others, but I'd say it may be even better. (And I really liked the Kidman flick!)
    The Devil's Backbone - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It would have made my Top Ten if I'd seen it last year. [​IMG]

20. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

My interpretation of the bomb was that it was another reminder of the war going on around the school. The bomb hasn't exploded yet, but it might, and children of that age shouldn't have to live with that kind of tension hanging over them.
    EDIT: another thought about the bomb is that one of the themes of the movie seems to be this idea of suspension, like things "trapped in amber", IIRC. A bomb that lands but doesn't explode is like a promise that isn't being fulfilled. Just like the ghost, and the fetus in the jar.
    You might also make a comparison between the bomb and the bad guy of the movie. The bomb doesn't explode but he sure does [​IMG]