What's new

The Denon 5800 WILL have a DPLII upgrade! (1 Viewer)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Okay, maybe I've missed something but where does it say that Denon will not have the DPLII code built into the 5800 after a certain manufacturing date?
A change in model number is not required for a minor update in firmware so why are people saying its bad for perspective 5800 buyers to have the upgrade done after the fact? I don't believe there is definitive word that the new DPLII included code won't be in the 5800 from the factory.
In reality, it would make sense that the cutover date for the new firmware with DPLII for newly created units would probably happen even before we get an in field update so that they have a chance to perform some DV on the firmware on production lots.
Just some thoughts...
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
quote: A change in model number is not required for a minor update in firmware so why are people saying its bad for perspective 5800 buyers to have the upgrade done after the fact? I don't believe there is definitive word that the new DPLII included code won't be in the 5800 from the factory.[/quote]
I agree.
Basically once we receive the upgrade, however it is planned to be executed, we will have the same machine as anyone who buys it pre installed.
When Denon upgraded the 5700 to the 5800 they did the right thing for the simple fact that these two receivers are two completely different recievers from the ground up.
To introduce a 5900 with the only addition of the DPLII decoding would not make sense as it would basically be an identical unit with the inclusion of the DPLII.
With this I can understand the 5800 to be the standard for Denon for a few years to come.
When 9 channel surround comes available then we will see a 5900 which will incorporate 9 amplifiers, new Dacs, and any new technologies that arise.
The 5800 was first introduced last September and the rest of the world is just catching up now,,EG,the Outlaw. What can Denon come up with now that would best the 5800???,,Nothing..Nothing that would be worth thier effort when they have a winner on their hands now.
What is new out on the horizon besides DPL II??
Nothing that I can think of off hand. :)
I will put this post in a time capsule on see how right or wrong I was.
wink.gif

------------------
Trevor
Link Removed
Equipment List updated
New digital pictures!
June 12,2001

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Yes, I have seen a Pronto in action and, yes, it is better than the Aktis.
However, I have had no problems programming the Aktis that I could not solve and would rather spend the money on DVD's, CD's, or my wife or kid (not necessarily in that order!).
Thanks,
Mike

TomH

Second Unit
The 5800 is still last year's model and there is no guarantee that Denon will ever come through with DPL2. At a street price of around $2700 you may want to consider the Outlaw 950 ($900) and something like an ATI 1505 ($1300)which would have new features and outperform every aspect of the 5800. Ask Mike about the 3802 and 4802 which appear to be the first of their new receivers. Upon release the 4802 may be more desirable than the older 5800. Certainly they need to continue selling current 5800 stock until they announce its successor. Its a lot like buying last years model of a car when a major redesign has been announced for that year. Buy it if you really like it and expect a heavy discount. However as of today I agree that the 5800 is one of the three best receivers available.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
...you may want to consider the Outlaw 950 ($900) and something like an ATI 1505 ($1300)which would have new features and outperform every aspect of the 5800.
A bold statement. Have you compared these two setups?
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Jay - That is such a typical posting.
Outperform...ha! I would bet he has not even listened to the 5800 in a good environment let alone the Outlaw!
:)

Keith M.

Second Unit
Outperform 5800!!
i dont think so...
1. How can a $900 piece of equipment made by a "newcomer" even be compared to a receiver that costs almost 3x as much and is manufactured by a "proven" leader?
2. Why are the feature lists of products more enticing to most individuals rather than build/sound quality??
I PERSONALLY doubt the outlaw will even come close to the overall quality of the Denon line of products, not just the 5800...
Forget features, let your ears decide!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is new out on the horizon besides DPL II??
Nothing that I can think of off hand.
DVD-A digital interface.
DTS 96/24
DPLII 7 channel?
DD with HDCD?
Digital Video Interface
Vegetarian Whoppers
------------------
Buzz Goddard
TAG McLaren Audio

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
When Dennon or Outlaw comes out with the option of vegitarian whoppers, I WILL upgrade. Hopefully they will sound better than they taste.
Jeff

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Time for Denon to play catch-up.... looks like Onkyo is the first (between Denon, B&K and Onkyo) out of the gate with a promised DPL II upgrade for their flagship receiver. Of course in their case, the upgrade also includes DTS ES Discrete and Neo. All for a very low $49.95 US plus shipping and handling. Even better, it's an at-home upgrade via CDROM and RS-232 cable from your PC to the receiver. Now that's what I call reasonable! And only 4 months after Tag McLaren and Meridian did it. :)
Go here for more info....
http://www.onkyousa.com/article_top....le=dtses_onkyo
------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Dale,
That is an incredible deal. Lets all cross our fingers that Denon sees this and feels compelled to keep the price close and to keep the upgrade as seemingly simple.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Jack F

Agent
Oliver,
What's more important to you - The timeline in getting the DPL-2 upgrade or Sound Quality.
Have you read all of the reviews? Nobody has ever preferred the Onkyo to the 5800. The only competition to the 5800 is the B&K AVR-307.
No offense intended. Just needed to let you know why it's worth a little longer wait.
Put your favorite CD in and crank it up. :)
------------------

Chip E

Screenwriter
I called B&K customer support today... they are being extremely tight lipped about any upgrades however, i did get the nice woman on the other end of the phone to say to me "Nothing firm but, expect some type of upgrade in the next two months" Now, when i asked her specifically about DPLII, this is when she said what she said but, said nothing about any other possible upgrades to go with it( DTS-ES, etc.) she either really didn't know or, just wouldn't comment... who knows. I told her i'd keep my 307 then, lol..
- Chip

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
@Jack F
Of course you are right, the sound is "the" one important thing when buying audio gear.
But costumer service is too. This must not apply for the US owners of the ARV 5800 but as posted earlier in Germany or Europe Denon do not even know right know if any upgrade for the AVC A1SE will take place in September or be pushed back.
This is not what I expected from Denon.
I am sure that all B&K owners will see this the same. It pretty much sucks that those manufactures do not tell you precisely there plans for product support.

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
I'm doing a lot of research on seperates. My long term plan, based on my experiences with Denon, is to first buy amps frm Bryston or another top notch company to use with the AVR-5800, then later on add a first class preamp from Meridian, Lexicon, or another firm with good customer relations and service.
Best regards-Henry

W

Will

I just got off the phone with "Mike" THE guy at Denon (western US sales/marketing manager). There WILL in fact be an upgrade through the 232 port, which will make it the 1st receiver to get an upgrade through the 232. He can't divulge the info on how they will implement it, whether or not it's through the dealer, or what not...but it will happen for a nominal fee early fall. The specifics will be figured out next week!

Have the specifics been figured out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks