What's new

The Denon 5800 WILL have a DPLII upgrade! (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I left a message a couple of weeks ago with the Western Denon sales manager asking about the DPLII upgrade...I called immediately after the info surfaced that it would NOT be upgraded. I just got off the phone with "Mike" THE guy at Denon (western US sales/marketing manager). There WILL in fact be an upgrade through the 232 port, which will make it the 1st receiver to get an upgrade through the 232. He can't divulge the info on how they will implement it, whether or not it's through the dealer, or what not...but it will happen for a nominal fee early fall. The specifics will be figured out next week!
There will not be a 5801 with DPLII or any other such receiver. This is their flagship and they are behind it 110%, he assured me and thanked me for my support.
Thought this might be of interest to some 5800 owners or perspective owners (sitting on the fence).
Jeremy

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I consider that a lot more official than a rumor from a guy who knows a guy. That is the way the "no DPLII upgrade" came across.
Good news!

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent news Jeremy! I guess the Denon USA reps are better at responding than the Canadian reps. I've left messages with 2 people at Denon Canada and so far no call backs. Of course I have to give them a little time as it's only been a couple of days, whereas you said it took a couple of weeks for a response.
By chance did you also ask about the Aktis remote upgrade that was promised for May? I and others are still waiting on that one too.
------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Taking into account that I wasn't all hell bent on getting the DPLII upgrade, this is still great news because I was beginning to wonder about Denon and their support to their customer base.
If they come through on this then they have followed through on their commitments here and hopefully they will continue this way with the new owners.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Dale,
I didn't ask about the Atkis update....I would expect that you will hear back from them soon. Apparently they've been pretty busy at the corporate level.
If you get the chance to talk to someone, let me know what you find out. I wasn't aware there was going to be a new update for the Atkis. I haven't needed one (didn't need the one on the web-site for that matter), mine never froze up on me.
What will the Atkis update do?
Jeremy

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Dale,
Are you still having problems with the Aktis after the 2.0 upgrade?
Or are you just waiting for the updated, full featured editing software?
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy:
The next Aktis upgrade (version 3) is supposed to focus on 2 things:
1) Increased functionality on the remote, particularly in the use of macros (i.e. so that they can be assigned to a button on ANY screen, not just under System Calls).
2) An improved PC editing package making it even easier to revise and layout your screens on the PC, and then download them into the Aktis. With any luck we can even import Pronto CCFs and/or discrete codes to make it even easier.
This upgrade was mentioned publicly by Doug, vice president of Denon Canada, for a May 2001 release. We're obviously past that time, so we'll see if/when they ever release it. Call me still slightly skeptical...
Patrick:
Just hoping for more functionality, on both the remote and PC editing fronts. The thing is a paperweight as it stands - I use a $40 Radio Shack programmable instead.
------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Excellent news Jeremy!,,
Thanks for sharing that with us.
PS,,I sent you an E-mail.
------------------
Trevor
Link Removed
Equipment List updated
New digital pictures!
June 12,2001

Eric Lo

Agent
Don't mean to cause trouble. However, for perspective 5800 buyers in the fall, as soon as they bought the unit, they have to send it back to service center for upgrade for DPL-2 (that is, if they want to have DPL-2). It's just too much trouble. Onkyo is providing DPL-2 upgrade support to existing 989 owners AND is shipping the new 989 with DPL-2 in Japan. I would think that Denon will not be smart if there isn't a 5802 that comes with DPL-2. Unless Denon wants people to wait for a few more months to get the successor of 5800 next year or just get the mass market model 3802 that comes with DPL-2 and 7-ch amp.
-- Eric

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Eric,
Owners will not have to ship it back to Denon. It will be done at your local dealership, via the web, or at home with a CD-R/RW type system.
It will be painless and for a nominal fee is what I was told.
I can't imagine it would be any tougher than the Onkyo's upgrade. And again, I repeat, NO NEW RECEIVER!!! It is their flagship, and a successor is still a long ways off.
Dale,
Thanks for the info. Will these macros enable one touch ability (to turn on neccessary components in order) like the Pronto?
That would be a sweet tool for my wife :)
Jeremy

Andrew P

Second Unit
Ill believe it when I see it. Ive heard to many things from all manufacturers. And does a long way off (for the introduction of their new flagship receiver) possibly mean next summer?
Andy

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
A couple of comments:
First DPLII - not that important to me, but it will be interesting to see how they handle the internet purchasing thing. Hopefully you won't have to take the unit to the "local" Denon service center. Our local service center works on several lines of equipment and I have had nothing but bad luck with them.
Second Aktis - I already have several one-touch macros programmed from the Sys Call screen and can change from one piece of equipment to another by just going to the Sys Call screen. It was very easy! I have several commands such as the following:
Turn ON TV (turns on TV, receiver, sets correct TV input, receiver input, and turns up my sconces to a preset level)
TV to DVD Movie (changes TV input, turns on DVD player, changes receiver to DVD input and sets correct receiver mode)
You get the idea. I have a total on ten macros of this type programmed from the Sys Call screen and have used only a small portion of the memory of the remote. This remote is very powerful and I really see no need to switch to a Pronto.
Yes, it could be MUCH better, and hopefully they will take a step in a better direction wiht an upgrade at some point.
Mike

RobertH

Auditioning
Maybe I'm confused here.....is there even any DVD titles (software) with DPLII yet? I have the 5800 and I'm enjoying 5.1 & 6.1 as well as DVD-Audio daily. I have not seen any DVD titles w/DPLII therefore no need to decode it yet. Seems to be a "pissing" contest thus far as to "who gets it first".....even if there is no software.
------------------

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Robert,
DPLII is basically a better DPL. It will take any two channel source and divide the sound into any one of the five channels with supposedly much better accuracy than DPL did.
So, any two channel source you have will work with DPLII.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
DPLII is basically a better DPL. It will take any two channel..........
If i had a quarter for everytime some poor soul had to explain this all over again...
laugh.gif

------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Don't know how much truth there is to this...but a buddy of mine stationed in Japan went to an audio show over there and saw what was designated a Denon-6000 model. It had bigger spec'ed amps, and decoded all formats. It was not a functioning model as far as he could tell, and he was not able to get much info from the Denon people there. The only thing that was said was it was to be released sometime towards the end of the year.

Mike E W

Agent
Mike have you used a pronto? I was determined to make a go of it with the Aktis but once I saw a pronto in action I gave in and ponied up for the pronto. IMO some of the best HT dollars I have spent.

Eric Lo

Agent
I know that buying the 5800 is a big purchase. The DPL-2 upgrade via CD or whatever channels will make a lot of sense to existing owners. However, for a perspective buyers to go through the DPL-2 upgrade works themselves, keep the fingers crossed and hope it will work after paying $3000 (just a guess-timate street price)? IMHO, it just doesn't make sense for the perspective buyers. I would rather pay Denon the extra (whatever that nominal fee is) up front to get a unit that comes with DPL-2... especially when I see the perspective Onkyo buyers get DPL-2 shipped with their new 989. I'm not biased on Onkyo, I just think that Denon will loose the edge by making DPL-2 optional on 5800 compared to the 989 manufactured after July.
At the same time, I don't think DPL-2 is a must have technology that is superior that DD 5.1, DTS-EX of that sort (although DPL-2 may enhance the joy of watch my old VCD/VHS) but if I'm looking for a receiver (beasty or not), why would I settle for less at the same price and sound quality? Just want to get most bang for the bucks.
Plus, the truth is, the life-cycle of typical electronics is just like computers these days which is about 1.5 years. Just look back and count how many months there is between the release of 5700 and 5800... 18 months! Denon may tell the truth that there will be no new flagship in year 2001 but Jan 1, 2002 is only one day after! I won't be surprise if there is a successor of 5800 available in Feb 2002 (18 months after the release of 5800). :)
-- Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks