1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 4802 / 5800 + Upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BernieT, Aug 22, 2001.

1. BernieT

BernieT Auditioning

I'm in a spending mood, but I still have my sanity as I will only spend $3000 max. Should I go for the 4802 which is out of stock on most online retailers or get the 5800 and hope that upgrade will be in-home via Firewire or that other port? I'd hate it if I had to bring it in to an authorized repair center if it's not in-home. I've read everything comparing DTS:NEO6 to Pro Logic II and while not that important to me (most DVDs I own are 5.1 anyways) I like DTS better than Dolby Digital, but I think DTS:NEO6 is inferior to DPLII according to people's experiences.

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Bernie: I'd simply call Denon and ask them for a definitive answer on the 5800 upgrade. Document the answer(record it if legal) and let them know you are doing that... then make your decision on that answer. If they lied... buy the Outlaw Audio combo and never look back. Even if they lie, if you have documented it correctly, they will pay to upgrade your unit... or else.?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

3. TomH

TomH Second Unit

5800 Last Years model, higher quality, more power, upgrade uncertain. $2300.00
    4802 New (no one has it yet), more features, less power. $1800.00
    Tough Decision. Even though the 5800 is one of the best receivers ever, I would hate to invest $2300 if the upgrade path is not certain. There are many upgrade rumors on the forum, just search.
    Wait for the Outlaw.
    Tom

4. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Unfortunatly, the best thing for you to do is wait it out. Youll save a lot of heart-break if you find out that it is an in-home upgrade.
    Im sure it will be.

5. BernieT

BernieT Auditioning

Oh yeah. My other concern is: does anyone think 170W on the 5800 is too much for my room? My room is only about 11' by 12'. My current setup is a Pioneer DD/DTS receiver capable of 100W per channel. For a room this small I already think it's pretty good. My speakers can handle it, but my walls can't especially listening to Star Wars: Episode 1 (Import LD). Satellites x 5 = 160W; SB x 2 = 150W; Sub = 120W. I'm ready to upgrade, already ordered my surround backs.

6. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Bernie - you can NEVER have enough power. It's not about how loud things can get. It's great to have the extra juice, which will improve imaging, bass, and overall performance regardless of the type of speaker you have.
    Elbert

7. BrianM

BrianM Stunt Coordinator

I have the 5800 and I highly recomend it to anyone. At this stage in the game though I would say just be patient and wait until they release it with the DPL II upgrade. Put your $2300 in a savings account and collect the interest until then. I am dreading having to unhook this monster and lug it to the dealer (or even worse ship it to Denon)for something that I may even have to pay more for. The 5800 is worth the wait. Trust me, you will thank me later. As far as the power question Elbert is 100% correct. My room is the same size as yours.
    [Edited last by BrianM on August 23, 2001 at 11:46 AM]

8. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator