What's new

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Andrew Budgell said:
Hi Tony, my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I can confirm that Mrs. Dilber's "for reaching it out" line is included. :) Sadly the Patrick MacNee introduction isn't included with either the original B&W or colour versions. Hopefully Renown will include that on their Blu-ray, whenever they are able to release it.
Hi Andrew!

No worries, and thank you very much for your kind reply!

That's too bad the Patrick Macnee introduction wasn't included with the Colorized version, since from my recall, he actually made reference to the process at some point in his narrative! Without this, in my opinion, the Color version's inclusion is a beyond pointless waste of valuable higher bitrate potential space! I had no expectation (Or desire, for that matter!) of this being included / interspersed with the original Black & White.

On the other hand, that's great news regarding the inclusion of Mrs. Dilber's "For Reaching It Out" line!

Keeping in mind the physical media in question is DVD, how did you find the visuals compare with the other DVD versions, and did you get the sense that the Blu-ray equivalent could be at least as good as the 2012 VCI Blu-ray?

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
On a related tack, the George C. Scott version which I purchased back in early November for $7.99 is now going for $24.89. Guess the time to get Christmas films cheaply is over till after Christmas.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Kyrsten Brad said:
On a related tack, the George C. Scott version which I purchased back in early November for $7.99 is now going for $24.89. Guess the time to get Christmas films cheaply is over till after Christmas.
That reminds me...I picked up the Patrick Stewart version early this year (though it became cheaper as the year went on). I think I'll watch this one soon. I've only seen parts of it on TV.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The Patrick Stewart Scrooge is pretty good, but I think there's a great future Scrooge in that version as Cratchit, Richard E.Grant. Can you imagine an age-appropriate Withnail as Scrooge? Also, I'd sure like to see a film of Patrick Stewart's one-man stage version of "A Christmas Carol".

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one that prefers Disney's motion-capture animated 'A Christmas Carol' from 2009? (Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread yet.)

Mark

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
davidmatychuk said:
The Patrick Stewart Scrooge is pretty good, but I think there's a great future Scrooge in that version as Cratchit, Richard E.Grant. Can you imagine an age-appropriate Withnail as Scrooge? Also, I'd sure like to see a film of Patrick Stewart's one-man stage version of "A Christmas Carol".
I thought Stewart did a good job, though he didn't look like Scrooge. I was always aware that I was watching Stewart play Scrooge, rather than watching Scrooge. (I had the same reaction to George Scott's Scrooge.)

This version seemed patterned after the Sim version in what they showed and didn't show. (They even had a 'reaching out' line.) It had a made-for-TV look and feel. I don't know if this is one I'll watch every year, but I'll definitely watch it again.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Kilgore said:
Jim Carrey completely lifted his Scrooge from Alistair Sim. Completely.
Hi Glen!

That's because, like myself, this fellow Canuck would've been reared on the annual CTV Midnight Christmas Eve Broadcasts of the 1951 Alastair Sim Scrooge! Mr. Sim's Ebenezer Scrooge is basically ingrained into our DNA! :)

Tony

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Glen!

That's because, like myself, this fellow Canuck would've been reared on the annual CTV Midnight Christmas Eve Broadcasts of the 1951 Alastair Sim Scrooge! Mr. Sim's Ebenezer Scrooge is basically ingrained into our DNA! :)

Tony
Actually, Tony, Carrey would have seen A Christmas Carol on the independent CHCH channel 11 from Hamilton during his formative years . They ran it on Christmas Eve ( in prime time ) for at least fifteen years before CTV picked it up.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Rob W said:
Actually, Tony, Carrey would have seen A Christmas Carol on the independent CHCH channel 11 from Hamilton during his formative years . They ran it on Christmas Eve ( in prime time ) for at least fifteen years before CTV picked it up.
Hi Rob!

Now that you mention it, I do recall that CHCH channel 11 did air it during my early formative years. I think CTV picked it up at some point during the 80s, by which time Jim Carrey was in Hollywood performing stand up!

Thanks for the correction! :)

Tony

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
In Vancouver, it was KVOS from Bellingham, twenty miles across the border in Washington State, that was my earliest yearly Christmas Eve experience of the Alastair Sim version. Our neighbourhood wasn't wired for cable but that station came in as clear on the roof antenna as any Vancouver station. KVOS was a CBS affiliate in those days, so their regular weekday evening "Million Dollar Movie", which ran from 5:15 to 7:15, would break at 6:30 for Walter Cronkite, and then resume the movie at 7. Imagine that! We certainly weren't spoiled for choice back then, and that fact is that I first saw a bunch of my lifelong favourite movies that way. I don't think there's any movie that I've seen more times than the 1951 "A Christmas Carol", and I may squeeze in a few more viewings yet. I just don't think Walter Cronkite will be interrupting me again.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Kilgore said:
Jim Carrey completely lifted his Scrooge from Alistair Sim. Completely.
I know I did when I played Scrooge in our school's Grade 5 Christmas play. Several adults complimented me on my English accent and wondered where a 9-year-old in Surrey, B.C. might have picked it up. Steal only from the best, I say.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I'd love to see some screen grabs from this edition, does anyone that has this have that capability. There's really no information or reviews of this version that I can find, and no screenshots yet.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Here's the poster for one of my Vancouver Christmas concerts this year, for those who might be interested. There's a song I do every year called "Remembering Old Fezziwig", the music for which is derived from the little "I don't know anything, I never did know anything, but now I know that I don't know, all on a Christmas morning" song Alastair Sim sings in the movie.

Fezziwig2015show.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
I'd love to see some screen grabs from this edition, does anyone that has this have that capability. There's really no information or reviews of this version that I can find, and no screenshots yet.

Stanley: Are you talking about the new Renown DVD version?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks