What's new

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Mike Frezon said:
You just want to beat my record of how many times we've purchased this title, Andrew! :biggrin:

:D Too funny, Mike! Over the years I've bought the VHS, the first VCI DVD (B&W/colourized), the Emerald Edition DVD, the VCI restored DVD, the 60th anniversary VCI Blu-ray, and now I've got the Renown 2K restoration DVD on pre-order. I guess that's 6 copies of the film. We Scrooge fans should probably be committed! ;)

scrooge-small.gif

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Mike Frezon said:
You just want to beat my record of how many times we've purchased this title, Andrew! :biggrin:
Hang on, here. I'm putting my cards on the table. I bought two VHS versions and a laserdisc before there were DVD's, followed by 2 single DVD's, one 2-DVD set, and 3 Blu-Rays. Take that, Frezziwig!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I started with a VHS recording off TV. My older brother bought one of those behemoth early players around 1979. I remember it had all these little sliding switches on the back for fine tuning TV reception, and it was a huge pain to set up with antenna reception. I can't remember the last time I saw it on TV, it's been a while. I think we had a Goodtimes Video VHS version, or the equivalent. Then probably started with the VCI DVDs. I still have the 2 DVD set with the tilt and scan widescreen version, followed by the first two Blu-rays. I still don't have the last VCI release. I know I gave one of the single DVDs to my nephew years ago.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yep. Lots of versions have passed through these hands. Let's see:

- Taped version from Philly's independent WPHL, channel 17. It had commercials which I manually edited out, leaving blips.

- Taped version from Philly's PBS WHYY, channel 12. It was commercial-free, but was an awful print.

- Purchased version of VHS tape. I've forgotten the company, but it was a miserable print.

- Another purchased VHS tape, this one from VCI. Still a pretty bad print.

- Taped colorized version from Philly's channel 17. This, like all colorized versions, started with the Patrick Macnee intro. Commercials had to be edited out, leaving blips.

- Purchased colorized version on VHS tape. The colorized versions were always brighter, but looked washed out.

- LaserDisc arrives - hurrah! (Except this print was so bad as to be unwatchable. Sound noise-reduction was so severe that the music track often disappeared entirely!)

- Early DVD purchase from VCI. Better than the LaserDisc, but not by much. At least the music soundtrack was audible!

- 2007 multi-version "restored" DVD. Had three versions of the '51 film: Restored B&W, Restored 16:9 crop, and Colorized version. This is the first time it looked like any actual restoration work had been done on the film. Still, it was a hodge-podge of prints strung together. The scene of the Cratchit's dinner is choppy in quality. One moment it looked like this:

Health1.JPG

After Cratchit sits down, the print changes to this:

Health2.JPG

...decidedly less detail and cropped more.

This edition had the 16:9 crop which was no different than switching your TV into "Zoom" mode. But this one was encouraging - it at least tried to improve on what we'd had all the prior years. I almost felt that it probably couldn't get any better than this. But I was wrong.

- Blu-ray came into being, and I was a not-first adopter, so a version of SCROOGE came and went on the new format. Reviews I've read indicated that it was a little better than the last DVD, but not a huge improvement. Then came the Diamond Edition from VCI on Blu-ray. That one I bought. And I've been very impressed with its picture and sound quality. It's been reported that there are still some issues that people have, like floorboards that seem to move around by themselves, a tiny missing bit of dialog, and pictures that jump when scenes change. I find those exceedingly minor issues and am happy to consider this the best there can be - until it's proven that something better has come along!

Harry

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I remember one of the early VCI DVDs had the claim that it was complete from best elements or something, and it tuned out to be the same TV edit version with some scenes cutting off early. I sent VCI a slightly scathing email and implored them to give us something better and actually as complete as possible. They simply replied that if I was unhappy, I could return it to the vendor. But, it wasn't too long after (maybe a couple years) that the first scan from the 35mm elements, not some video master, appeared.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
While youse guys wait on Renown...

I picked this up at a local store (FYE) for just $8.99 ($9.99 minus 10% Backstage Pass discount).

918AGHHlyxL._SX385_.jpg

Since Crawdaddy watched the '51 version last year, I decided I should give equal time to his favorite, and watch the '38 version, this year. I haven't seen it since I was very young.

For anyone interested, Amazon has dropped the price on the '38 version to $9.96.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here: OK all you jokers on Amazon and HTF have done it again as I have purchased the VCI Blu of this version if "A Christmas Carol" to go with the George C. Scott version I just got.

Looks like this package includes both the B&W and colorized editions.
Looking forward to a joyous Christmas Season of Movies.

( though I do wonder if the coming 4K restored version (being done by RAH from what I've read here) will include a colorized edition as well)?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Kyrsten Brad said:
Brad here: OK all you jokers on Amazon and HTF have done it again as I have purchased the VCI Blu of this version if "A Christmas Carol" to go with the George C. Scott version I just got.

Looks like this package includes both the B&W and colorized editions.
Looking forward to a joyous Christmas Season of Movies.

( though I do wonder if the coming 4K restored version (being done by RAH from what I've read here) will include a colorized edition as well)?

Hi Brad!

Perhaps I missed something, but this is the first that I recall reading of any Robert A. Harris involvement with THE Definitive Alastair Sim Scrooge!

If this is so, it's certainly a HUGE game changer for me, though I'll be waiting for the Blu-ray release!

One other thing. I might be mistaken in this, but I find it difficult to imagine RAH being involved with any project that includes the colorization process, especially with a Film that's so notable for its marvelous Black & White cinematography! This is just an observation with no intended disrespect either way.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Brad!

Perhaps I missed something, but this is the first that I recall reading of any Robert A. Harris involvement with THE Definitive Alastair Sim Scrooge!

If this is so, it's certainly a HUGE game changer for me, though I'll be waiting for the Blu-ray release!

One other thing. I might be mistaken in this, but I find it difficult to imagine RAH being involved with any project that includes the colorization process, especially with a Film that's so notable for its marvelous Black & White cinematography! This is just an observation with no intended disrespect either way.

Tony
I'm going thru this thread page by page to get caught up and find the exact posting mentioning possible RAH involvement. I know I saw it.
You are correct in saying that RAH would not be involved in any colorization. I was referring to the existing colorized version.

And no, I've never seen a UFO.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Kyrsten Brad said:
I'm going thru this thread page by page to get caught up and find the exact posting mentioning possible RAH involvement. I know I saw it.

I thought you were joking. If this isn't a joke, I will eat whatever hats Koroush can't finish over at the UHD thread.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Kyrsten Brad said:
You are correct in saying that RAH would not be involved in any colorization. I was referring to the existing colorized version.

Hi Brad!

I've no doubt that you read something at least mentioning possible (I think that may be the key word, here?) Robert A Harris involvement. If so, whether or not it's with the 2k restoration for Renown Pictures might be another key.

Tony

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
RMajidi said:
Industry sources report that Sir Anthony Hopkins - who mimics Kathleen Harrison's (Mrs Dilber) voice perfectly - has agreed to dub her missing line for the long-anticipated RAH 4K restoration.

In other reports, studio insiders are quietly confident that the 4K UHD disc of A Christmas Carol will restore consumer faith in the much-maligned format... as well as faith generally.
Here's the quote on RAH involvement.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
RMajidi, on 24 Oct 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:
RMajidi said:
Industry sources report that Sir Anthony Hopkins - who mimics Kathleen Harrison's (Mrs Dilber) voice perfectly - has agreed to dub her missing line for the long-anticipated RAH 4K restoration.

In other reports, studio insiders are quietly confident that the 4K UHD disc of A Christmas Carol will restore consumer faith in the much-maligned format... as well as faith generally.

I'm sorry, but the above just smacks so hard of being a joke, as much as I wish it were otherwise! :p

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
RMajidi said:

Kyrsten Brad said:
Here's the quote on RAH involvement.

Tony Bensley said:
RMajidi, on 24 Oct 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but the above just smacks so hard of being a joke, as much as I wish it were otherwise! :P

Dr Griffin said:
And it will continue to be long-anticipated.

For reaching it out loud! Please forgive my clumsy miscommunication and permit me to rephrase:

Industry sources report that Sir Anthony Hopkins - who mimics Kathleen Harrison's (Mrs Dilber) voice perfectly ;) - has agreed to dub her missing line for the long-anticipated RAH 4K restoration. :)

In other reports, studio insiders are quietly confident that the 4K UHD disc of A Christmas Carol will restore consumer faith in the much-maligned format... as well as faith generally. :) :D :biggrin:

[It's all David's fault, you know - malicious trouble-maker:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/334982-the-definitive-a-christmas-carol-1951-starring-alastair-sim/page-21#entry4308607 ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks