What's new

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just admit it Ramin.

RAH reached out to you to smack you down on releasing news about his said involvement with perhaps the greatest version of 1951's "A Christmas Carol" ever to be made, with a newly discovered fine grain master print (found in Budapest, of all places).

And yes, the Missing Mrs. Dilber line is there, intact!

Since he hasn't signed the contract, he doesn't want his involvement known until the ink is dried.

Don't try to say this was all a joke, now. We are all too smart to fall for that.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Rodney said:
Just admit it Ramin.

RAH reached out to you to smack you down on releasing news about his said involvement with perhaps the greatest version of 1951's "A Christmas Carol" ever to be made, with a newly discovered fine grain master print (found in Budapest, of all places).

Since he hasn't signed the contract, he doesn't want his involvement known until the ink is dried.

Don't try to say this was all a joke, now. We are all too smart to fall for that.

Hi Rodney!

For those who might not be aware, I feel it should be pointed out that Mrs. Dilber's "For Reaching It Out" line is also intact in the Emerald DVD (2005) and Blu-ray (2009) editions.

A newly discovered fine grain master in Budapest? Interesting!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Kyrsten Brad said:
Is Tammi even old enough to recall the Jim Carrey version? Much less the George C. Scott or Alastair Sim versions.

Tammi likely remembers the Jim Carrey version, but thinks it's a video game!

Mind you, with some of the animated graphics, it could be a bit hard to tell the difference, at times? ;)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Rodney said:
Just admit it Ramin.

Mr Harris declined to comment on the 'Hungarian Find'. However, sources close to him report that these fine-grains are actually second-unit footage of Sir Alec Guinness impersonating Alastair Sim's Scrooge in between takes on the Ladykillers set.

Mr Harris has reportedly requested that his involvement in seamlessly integrating these sequences into the upcoming 4K restoration be kept strictly off-record, as it contravenes his renowned public stance of restoring works in line with the director's original intent.

I understand that the lure of unprecedented sums was a significant factor - after he over-extended himself in a recent purchase of a 4K Sony "Big Dog" 665.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Dr Griffin said:
I talked to Tammi the other day before a Spectre showing, and she has no idea what 4K is.
A Spectre showing Tiny Tammi? To Scrooge? I have a one-track mind. By the way, up here in Canada we may not know what it is, but we do know that the 4K is on the table next to the spoon, eh?, and the knife, eh?

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Re: the Moviemail.com listing, Renown just stated this to me in a message:

"hi ben theyve got it wrong and wrong artwork, feel free to let them know we have releases a stunning 2k transfer dvd of b&w and colour but dvd only "

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
My copy of Renown's restored DVD just arrived on my doorstep and I had a chance to spot check a few scenes. First things first, despite it being a Region 0 release, it wouldn't play on my Blu-ray player. Oddly I didn't get an error message like I do when I attempt to play Region 2 discs. It played fine on my laptop, so I plugged it into my TV through my HDMI cable.

As I mentioned earlier, I actually somehow misplaced my VCI Blu-ray, so unfortunately cannot compare it to that, only the 2007 VCI DVD, which is probably pointless. I'm certainly no expert like our reviewers here, so please take the following few comments for what they're worth. Renown's new restored edition begins with the BCI Film Forever logo, then goes into the familiar Renown title and that haunting score that we're all very familiar with. Even in standard definition it looks very film-like and the blacks are quite nice. While I don't intend to watch it all the way through until Christmas Eve (my yearly tradition!), I believe there are missing lines, jumps etc. in VCI's release, so if you can point out where those are, I'd be happy to check. There are absolutely no special features, save for the muddy colourized version from years ago.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Andrew Budgell said:
My copy of Renown's restored DVD just arrived on my doorstep and I had a chance to spot check a few scenes. First things first, despite it being a Region 0 release, it wouldn't play on my Blu-ray player. Oddly I didn't get an error message like I do when I attempt to play Region 2 discs. It played fine on my laptop, so I plugged it into my TV through my HDMI cable.

As I mentioned earlier, I actually somehow misplaced my VCI Blu-ray, so unfortunately cannot compare it to that, only the 2007 VCI DVD, which is probably pointless. I'm certainly no expert like our reviewers here, so please take the following few comments for what they're worth. Renown's new restored edition begins with the BCI Film Forever logo, then goes into the familiar Renown title and that haunting score that we're all very familiar with. Even in standard definition it looks very film-like and the blacks are quite nice. While I don't intend to watch it all the way through until Christmas Eve (my yearly tradition!), I believe there are missing lines, jumps etc. in VCI's release, so if you can point out where those are, I'd be happy to check. There are absolutely no special features, save for the muddy colourized version from years ago.

Hi Andrew!

The infamous "For Reaching It Out" line should occur just slightly past the 69 and a half minute mark on NTCS format. However, because your DVD is PAL formatted (Which is likely the reason why it wouldn't play on your Blu-ray Player!), the 4% speedup has to also be taken into account. Suffice it to say, it should just precede the following line, as illustrated below:

For Reaching It Out!.png

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Andrew Budgell said:

Hi Andrew!

Are the Patrick Macnee Intros, etc. included, at least? I ask as that's the only remote justification for the colorized version's inclusion, as far as I'm concerned!

Tony

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
While youse guys wait on Renown...

I picked this up at a local store (FYE) for just $8.99 ($9.99 minus 10% Backstage Pass discount).

918AGHHlyxL._SX385_.jpg

Since Crawdaddy watched the '51 version last year, I decided I should give equal time to his favorite, and watch the '38 version, this year. I haven't seen it since I was very young.

Here's a line Alastair Sim never uttered (straight from the book):

"If I could work my will, every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!"

Yikes!

Very entertaining! My wife and I both liked it a LOT. I still prefer Sim, of course...and I'm sure this is probably just one of those instances when the version one saw most often as a youth becomes the preferred version.

And, hey!, the ghost of Christmas Past is a hot chick! A blond Ann Rutherford!

ann-rutherford-ghost-of-christmas-past.jpg

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Andrew!

The infamous "For Reaching It Out" line should occur just slightly past the 69 and a half minute mark on NTCS format. However, because your DVD is PAL formatted (Which is likely the reason why it wouldn't play on your Blu-ray Player!), the 4% speedup has to also be taken into account. Suffice it to say, it should just precede the following line, as illustrated below:

attachicon.gif
For Reaching It Out!.png

Tony

Hi Tony, my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I can confirm that Mrs. Dilber's "for reaching it out" line is included. :) Sadly the Patrick MacNee introduction isn't included with either the original B&W or colour versions. Hopefully Renown will include that on their Blu-ray, whenever they are able to release it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks