What's new

The Day the Earth stood still (1951) 4K (2 Viewers)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That same scene when Gort picks up Patricia Neal that shows the visible wires also provides a brief view of the laces on the front of Gort’s suit.

I’ve seen this movie many many times and as Captain Pike said, it’s a classic! On this viewing last night, it really hit me that this film was made 6 years after the end of World War 2. The nuclear bomb was still relatively new. The power and terrible consequences of unleashing them must have been weighing heavily on the people of the world. And there were people other then the scientists who were advocating anti-war sentiments. This is still so relevant given the current world atmosphere.
Don’t you mean the back of his suit? That’s what I remember. While the actual special effect of Gort has it’s problems, he remains, imho, in the top 5 of movie robots. I’d put more towards the front of that ranking than the back. Gort just looks so badass!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Neil,

Thanks for chiming in about my 4K viewing limitations. You are right about using the AppleTV app. I forgot about that. I don’t think I ever set that up. If I do set it up, I’d have to get the audio out from the TV to the pre-amp to get the surround sound. It’s a great idea Neil, at least I can see if I can see the iTunes War of the Worlds in 4K.

The pre-amp I have is an oldie, it’s a Rotel RSP-1572 from 2011. Wow, 11 years old already. I was considering upgrading from it to something with 4K.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hi Neil,

Thanks for chiming in about my 4K viewing limitations. You are right about using the AppleTV app. I forgot about that. I don’t think I ever set that up. If I do set it up, I’d have to get the audio out from the TV to the pre-amp to get the surround sound. It’s a great idea Neil, at least I can see if I can see the iTunes War of the Worlds in 4K.

The pre-amp I have is an oldie, it’s a Rotel RSP-1572 from 2011. Wow, 11 years old already. I was considering upgrading from it to something with 4K.
I hate to spend other people's money, but you have Sony's flagship display so I think an upgrade to a 11 year old pre-amp is in order. :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, in the scene where Gort walks behind a wall, then returns carrying Helen, the scene where all the wires are visible, there is a brief angle where the laces are visible on his front side. Check it out!

Robby the Robot is probably my most favorite of the golden era of science fiction robots. But I agree, Gort is on the same level as Robby.

I need to get a Gort to complete this collection: ignore the photography, Robby is actually very well made and matches the film version in proportion. This photo makes him look squat,
877EC0BB-F2C2-41BE-90DC-894D15C0EFFE.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hate to spend other people's money, but you have Sony's flagship display so I think an upgrade to a 11 year old pre-amp is in order. :D
Thanks Robert, that gave me a good laugh! 🤣 I’d like new speakers too! But the ones I have work well.

I have been looking around at options for a new pre-amp. No decisions yet.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Of course I upgraded my TV and receiver at once in 2020 and it's been a headache with both. It's year and a half later and between firmware "upgrades" on the TV and having a corrected HDMI 2.1 board installed in the receiver, I'm finally at a point where I think I can enjoy my purchase.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
NeI’ll, it turns out I did have the AppleTV app set up on the Sony. I was able to play The War of the Worlds. I watched the first major attack and then the farmhouse scene. I’d like to compare to the Criterion blu ray this weekend, but the sequences I did see did look quite good.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It’s too bad the ATV4K only has one HDMI. I have my Oppo player plugged into the Sony with one of the HDMI output for video and the other HDMI output from the Oppo goes to the pre-amp for audio.
Your Oppo has an HDMI input. You can plug your Apple TV into the Oppo which will pass the 4k picture to your TV and the audio to your pre-amp. Use the "HDMI Bypass" input on the Oppo to get Dolby Vision sent to your TV. The Oppo can't pass Atmos from the Apple TV using this input, but as you have an older pre-amp this won't be an issue.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Neil, first, apologies for again the misspell of your name. This time it looks like spell check combined Ne and I’ll. And I was posting too late in the night.

Your suggestion of using an HDMI input on the Oppo had not occurred to me. I never thought of it as having the ability to pass an HDMI signal from an external device to another device!

By the way, I found the Sony Apple TV app was a bit slow compared to the real thing. Also this Sony TV often will show a warning that the wifi was lost, then it regains it. While the AppleTV right below the TV has a steady strong signal. Maybe there is a wifi antenna on the TV I can optimize. Once I got the War of the Worlds going it looked good. Anyway, it is interesting to experiment with the app.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks