What's new

The Day the Earth stood still (1951) 4K (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
iTunes and Apple TV has The day the earth stood still in a beautiful looking 4K transfer right now for $4.99 it really looks nice solid print

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I was flipping through the channels and came across this movie, which is one of my favourites. For some reason they were showing this 1951 movie cropped to be wide screen! WTF?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I know its weird, all the other channels including SD ones had correct aspect ratios. Maybe a super advanced civilization from space thought their message would be more effective in our area if it filled the screen!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been revisiting many blu ray titles on my 4K OLED. I watched the Blu ray last night and was really impressed by the quality of this transfer, The one shot of Klaatu in the boarding house when he is in shadow looks amazing with all the gradations of grey to black. Looked like a great black and white still.

I did wonder what this film will look like on a UHD 4K blu ray. Hope it becomes a reality. I would prefer it over an iTunes purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve been revisiting many blu ray titles on my 4K OLED. I watched the Blu ray last night and was really impressed by the quality of this transfer, The one shot of Klaatu in the boarding house when he is in shadow looks amazing with all the gradations of grey to black. Looked like a great black and white still.

I did wonder what this film will look like on a UHD 4K blu ray. Hope it becomes a reality. I would prefer it over an iTunes purchase.
A slim chance with that happening since Disney now owns the film. IMO, the 4K digital is even better than the Blu-ray on my LG OLEDs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Robert, I figured there’s a slim chance. But I hold out hope. Glad to hear you found the 4K stream better then the Blu ray.

Maybe there’s a chance for Kino or Criterion to do a 4K or maybe Imprint in another region.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hi Robert, I figured there’s a slim chance. But I hold out hope. Glad to hear you found the 4K stream better then the Blu ray.

Maybe there’s a chance for Kino or Criterion to do a 4K or maybe Imprint in another region.
You don't stream?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I own several AppleTV’s and two are 4K. I do have a Paramount+ subscription for the new Star Trek shows. And I do own a few titles from iTunes.

I do not have a Disney subscription. I’m very tempted as I’ve been waiting patiently to see the Mandalorian and Obi Wan. I’m holding out for a blu ray release. I just don’t want to give Disney my money to stream if they won’t give me a choice. Paramount is nice enough to take my money at both ends, by stream and by disc later.

I’ve also noticed that when watching the Paramount + digital stream, and compared to the Blu ray, I can see an improvement on the Blu ray. So I want that slim improvement. :). I just watched the new UHD 4K Star Trek The Motion Picture Director’s Edition via Paramount+ and it was amazing looking! I also know it will be coming to UHD 4K disc later this year, so I’m highly anticipating that.

I don’t want to be forced to watch content from a service that requires an internet connection. That position may change later. I totally get the convenience and ability to watch almost anything at will on any device. That is cool. And it’s the future, I’ve done it on my AppleTV and iPad Pro and iPhone.

However, I’m really digging now being able to rip my Blu ray and DVD disc collection for my own use at home to stream them to my AppleTV and my mobile devices. I’m loving this as I don’t have to take the discs out to play them. It’s also making it much easier to enjoy my collection so I can enjoy that investment that’s already been paid for.

I watched The Day The Earth Stood Still via my bit for bit rip of the Blu ray. It was terrific!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That same scene when Gort picks up Patricia Neal that shows the visible wires also provides a brief view of the laces on the front of Gort’s suit.

I’ve seen this movie many many times and as Captain Pike said, it’s a classic! On this viewing last night, it really hit me that this film was made 6 years after the end of World War 2. The nuclear bomb was still relatively new. The power and terrible consequences of unleashing them must have been weighing heavily on the people of the world. And there were people other then the scientists who were advocating anti-war sentiments. This is still so relevant given the current world atmosphere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks