What's new

The Day the Earth stood still (1951) 4K (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robert, I own several AppleTV’s and two are 4K. I do have a Paramount+ subscription for the new Star Trek shows. And I do own a few titles from iTunes.

I do not have a Disney subscription. I’m very tempted as I’ve been waiting patiently to see the Mandalorian and Obi Wan. I’m holding out for a blu ray release. I just don’t want to give Disney my money to stream if they won’t give me a choice. Paramount is nice enough to take my money at both ends, by stream and by disc later.

I’ve also noticed that when watching the Paramount + digital stream, and compared to the Blu ray, I can see an improvement on the Blu ray. So I want that slim improvement. :). I just watched the new UHD 4K Star Trek The Motion Picture Director’s Edition via Paramount+ and it was amazing looking! I also know it will be coming to UHD 4K disc later this year, so I’m highly anticipating that.

I don’t want to be forced to watch content from a service that requires an internet connection. That position may change later. I totally get the convenience and ability to watch almost anything at will on any device. That is cool. And it’s the future, I’ve done it on my AppleTV and iPad Pro and iPhone.

However, I’m really digging now being able to rip my Blu ray and DVD disc collection for my own use at home to stream them to my AppleTV and my mobile devices. I’m loving this as I don’t have to take the discs out to play them. It’s also making it much easier to enjoy my collection so I can enjoy that investment that’s already been paid for.

I watched The Day The Earth Stood Still via my bit for bit rip of the Blu ray. It was terrific!
I think @Robert Crawford was recommending buying the iTunes 4K digital version when it goes on sale for $4.99 like I did.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Tino, that’s a good point that I missed. I still hope for a UHD disc. But sure at $5.00 dollars, it would be cool to have the iTunes version. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hey Tino, that’s a good point that I missed. I still hope for a UHD disc. But sure at $5.00 dollars, it would be cool to have the iTunes version. :)
If you’re patient it will drop to that price soon I’m sure.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I’ve been revisiting many blu ray titles on my 4K OLED. I watched the Blu ray last night and was really impressed by the quality of this transfer, The one shot of Klaatu in the boarding house when he is in shadow looks amazing with all the gradations of grey to black. Looked like a great black and white still.

I did wonder what this film will look like on a UHD 4K blu ray. Hope it becomes a reality. I would prefer it over an iTunes purchase.
maybe, with the success of the upcoming BD/4K release of invaders from mars there may be some hope for the golden age if Sci-Fi titles ...

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
the day the earth stood still robot GIF by Maudit
!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, you’ll have to forgive my density, quick question about the iTunes 4K files. Since Robert brought up the 4K stream. I totally forgot I had purchased the iTunes The War of the Worlds last year. I have the 4K Apple TV and a 4K display. So I should be able to play back the 4K streams of The Day the Earth Stood Still and The War of the Worlds.

I’m trying to play the War of the Worlds iTunes stream, how can I get the 4K stream working? Or is automatically sensing my gear and playing the 4K? I can’t tell. in looking at the info tab while the movie is playing it shows at the bottom the rating, the CC and HD. But not 4K. Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nelson,

I'm assuming you purchased these digitals directly from iTunes? One thing to remember, "The War of the Worlds" is in 4K/Dolby Vision while "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is only in 4K with no type of HDR. We need to look at your 4K Apple TV unit settings and how your video is connected to your 4K display. Am I remembering correctly that your display is a Sony A90J? Is your 4KATV unit output to your receiver then to your display? If so then make sure your 4KATV unit has the following video settings.

• (Do Not Enable Dolby Vision)
  • Format: 4K SDR 59.94Hz
  • HDMI Output: YCbCr
  • Chroma: 4:4:4
  • Match Content: Match Dynamic Range: On Match Frame Rate: On

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Robert, thanks for your reply! I think I know what’s wrong with my set-up. And yes, I bought the iTunes War of the Worlds. But not The Day The Earth Stood Still yet. Waiting on a sale. :)

You are correct that I have the Sony A90J. What I think is wrong is my pre-amp is pre 4K. I have the Apple TV 4K connected via HDMI to the pre-amp. And the pre-amp to the Sony. So it cannot pass the 4K video to the Sony.

It’s too bad the ATV4K only has one HDMI. I have my Oppo player plugged into the Sony with one of the HDMI output for video and the other HDMI output from the Oppo goes to the pre-amp for audio.

Maybe I can do a HDMI splitter for the ATV4K outputs to the TV and another to the pre-amp.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, thanks for your reply! I think I know what’s wrong with my set-up. And yes, I bought the iTunes War of the Worlds. But not The Day The Earth Stood Still yet. Waiting on a sale. :)

You are correct that I have the Sony A90J. What I think is wrong is my pre-amp is pre 4K. I have the Apple TV 4K connected via HDMI to the pre-amp. And the pre-amp to the Sony. So it cannot pass the 4K video to the Sony.

It’s too bad the ATV4K only has one HDMI. I have my Oppo player plugged into the Sony with one of the HDMI output for video and the other HDMI output from the Oppo goes to the pre-amp for audio.

Maybe I can do a HDMI splitter for the ATV4K outputs to the TV and another to the pre-amp.
Yup, that's the issue! A 4K HDMI splitter might resolve it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Robert! Well, I have a couple of solutions then. Buy a splitter or upgrade the pre-amp! Or hope there is a UHD 4K blu ray too. :)

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Nelson, does your TV have the Apple TV app installed? If so, you can watch in 4k on there.

What pre-amp are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks