What's new

The Dark Knight changing Aspect Ratio feels like a Joke (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'd say to those who haven't actually seen this disc, stop bitching until you do. Then if you don't like what you see complain then, but until that time there isn't much point. You are assuming you won't like it but it may surprise you, just as those who do want to see it this way (like myself) may end up NOT liking the shifting AR.
Long story short, just wait and see.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I guess it's all good until we get a director whose "vision" is to give the focus puller the day off and let his 3-year-old play with yanking the lens back and forth while he's shooting. Unless it's in a parody or otherwise having fun with the medium in an less-than-serious setting I don't have much patience with directors calling attention to their movie-making technology as an end to itself.

Maybe Mr. Nolan is trying to one-up Storaro in taking the mickey with aspect-ratio shenanigans.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
Craig Beam said:
So other people's art should be reformatted to fit your particular preference? Since it's Mr. Nolan's movie and not yours, I'd say respecting his vision is of paramount importance, and Warner absolutely did the right thing.
let me say it this: the film was presented in widescreen through it's theatrical run and that's the version i want. if you don't mind these ar changes, good for you. i find them rather annoying especially with the knowledge that there is a true widescreen version of the movie out there. warner bros should give a freaking choice.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Michel_Hafner said:
Aspect ratio change or not, some of the Beaver shots show annoying sharpening halos. Especially this one:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews43/the dark knight blu-ray bale ledger/large1/dark knight blu-ray3.jpg
I would really caution people about assuming all "halos" are the product of edge enhancement. I saw this movie three times in three different theaters (Mann Village, well known/respected, a new multiplex in Century City, and in iMax at The Bridge in Culver City) and saw halos in all versions. Sometimes halos are an artifact resulting in how the film was shot, and can vary scene by scene.
In fact, I clearly remember my thought when I saw it was "wonder how long it will take before charges of EE creep up in the BD/DVD transfer of this film." And I made a mental note to remind myself to post this as soon as one crept up that I noticed.
I know we all have our standard whipping boys (EE/DNR/Grain removal) but I would caution simply badmouthing a transfer based on halos seen on a screengrab or two because I can tell you as a fact that I observed them in the theatrical prints (and all three were film, not DLP projections).

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
EnricoE said:
i know it is mr. nolan's vision but it doesn't mean it's the better one.
This I can respect as not everyone has the same tastes. It doesn't make this version of the film any less valid even though it may not be the one you prefer. And that's fine. But if you ever get a chance to check out the IMAX version I highly recommend doing so. It might just change your mind.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
Until we get the "OMG Look at that SCREENSHOT" mentality out, we're going to have to deal with this, as you can see. Sadly, it's getting more and more difficult to convince people who have dug their heels in and put fingers in their ears that they actually have to wait until seeing the film in motion before they start spamming the threads with how horrible these films must look.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Bob_L said:
Actually, Paul, the aspect ratio switched MANY times in the IMAX theatrical print. Sometimes for just a few seconds of an establishing shot.
Thanks, Bob, I was not aware of that. I should like to see the IMAX version of this movie, so perhaps I will get a chance when it is re-released in January.
That said, I am more than willing to give this disc the benefit of the doubt, but it seems ridiculous that the IMAX scenes aren't even in their proper aspect ratios. It certainly does dilute the 'artistic integrity' angle being used to defend the changing aspect ratio decision.
Also, I find it odd that DVD Beaver wouldn't have included at least one screen grab from an IMAX scene. :confused:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jesse Blacklow said:
Unfortunately it goes even beyond seeing the film in motion because if the halos are there as a result of the filmmaking process, then it will still be visible in motion (as I saw in the Dark Knight showings I went to) and so should be there in the BD transfer. But people will see it and jump to the conclusion that edge-enhancement has been performed.
Generally if EE has been used, it will permeate the entire transfer and not just a few scenes (see original Stargate DVD transfer). If it's only in a few, select scenes one really has to be familiar with the source material and 99% of the time I (as with most people) only see the movie in the theater once and that doesn't qualify. I just happened to enjoy TDK enough to see it 3 times to become this familiar with it.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Paul Arnette said:
Also, I find it odd that DVD Beaver wouldn't have included at least one screen grab from an IMAX scene. :confused:
Actually a few of the DVD Beaver screen grabs are from IMAX scenes, but they cropped them to 2.35:1. All the shots of the bank robbers in masks, for example, are from the IMAX opening sequence.
Vincent

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If you want a sneak preview of how the iMax scenes looks, just go to the Dark Knight Prologue in your BD of Batman Begins. :D

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
If you want a sneak preview of how the iMax scenes looks, just go to the Dark Knight Prologue in your BD of Batman Begins. :D
Except those scenes are apparently in the correct aspect ratio. :P
Actually, I found some great screencaps in that other forum that do not appear to be compressed like DVD Beaver's. There are some good comparisons between the BB BD DK prologue and DK BD IMAX scenes in terms of color timing, which presumably wasn't finished for the BB release, and the aforementioned aspect ratio issue.
Of course, there is the usual flurry of EE acusations being bandied about there as well. Oh, well. You always have to take the good with the bad, right? ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Paul Arnette said:
Except those scenes are apparently in the correct aspect ratio. :P
:confused:
My Dark Knight Prologue is in 1.78:1 (roughly), as it apparently is on the upcoming TDK BD. The original Imax ratio is 1.44:1, right? So it's "wrong" on both. ;)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
:confused:
My Dark Knight Prologue is in 1.78:1 (roughly), as it apparently is on the upcoming TDK BD. The original Imax ratio is 1.44:1, right? So it's "wrong" on both. ;)
I don't know what the exact aspect ratio is on the BB BD, but the DK prologue scenes are pillar boxed on my copy. The same prologue scenes look cropped on the DK BD (i.e. no pillar boxing).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
, the DVD just stays at 2.35:1 for the entire length because the alternatives were giving the trick away from the start by having blank space all around the image or having the image get smaller when the director's intent was to show the world getting larger.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Brandon Conway said:
All that matters to me is that Nolan approved the Blu-ray release. And I know he did.
Same here. While I'd love to have the theatrical versions available for those that want them, Nolan's approval on this release makes this presentation just as valid as any other.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Jason Seaver said:
Not really; this is just an odd case where the home video version including exactly what was on the screen in theaters would undermine the intent. If the IMAX-shot scenes were pillarboxed, then there's a good chance that the person watching it would see it as smaller than the widescreen scenes. Sure, the IMAX-ratio scenes would cover more area (1.44 square screen-heights vs 1.34 square screen-heights), but the brain probably wouldn't process it that way. If Nolan wants those scenes to come across as bigger than the rest, then cropping them to 1.78:1 is probably the best compromise.
That's an interesting take, and I appreciate you sharing it. That is not something I considered. Regardless, this is sure to be a very controversial release, and, unfortunately, it does not appear that it will be strictly relegated to the changing aspect ratio issue. The thread on that other forum is hoot, but it is also a bit disconcerting particular the color timing difference shown in the 'police assembly' scene when compared same scene in the trailer.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
All that matters to me is that Nolan approved the Blu-ray release. And I know he did.
Wonder what he watched it on (what size screen & how far away)?
EDitEDbyED:
Is it true this is the wrong widescreen & wrong IMAX OAR?
Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Paul Arnette said:
but it is also a bit disconcerting particular the color timing difference shown in the 'police assembly' scene when compared same scene in the trailer
I don't know why people keep stumbling over this issue. Footage used in trailers is almost never fully finished with final color timing. So of course it's going to look different.
This is about on the same level as complaining that the film must be missing something, because there's footage in the trailer that didn't make it into the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks