What's new

General Discussion The Criterion Channel Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I haven't really used my subscription that much either, but will probably keep it at least for another year.

The service certainly has enough films of interest that I may only want to watch once (or maybe twice) or at least shouldn't just blind purchase even during the better sales nowadays. And then, there are cases that are simply hard-to-find or not available (or in good enough quality to own) like the Danny Kaye flix (among others) that are expiring today...

_Man_

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Using the hell out of my subscription, that's for sure.

Some nice titles added today. 2 personal favorites are Ball of Fire and The Sniper.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Using the hell out of my subscription, that's for sure.

I actually ended up doing a 4-film overnight marathon finish seemingly just beating their somewhat sluggish(?) process of expiring each of them until dawn this morning, LOL -- kinda reminds one of how B&N sales end. :P

_Man_

Last edited:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
That April schedule is great:
Performance (Donald Cammell and Nicolas Roeg, 1970), Klute (Alan J. Pakula, 1971), Shaft (Gordon Parks, 1971), What’s Up Doc? (Peter Bogdanovich, 1972), Foxy Brown(Jack Hill, 1974), Shampoo (Hal Ashby, 1975), Three Days of the Condor (Sydney Pollack, 1975), The Man Who Fell to Earth(Nicolas Roeg, 1976), A Star Is Born (Frank Pierson, 1976), Welcome to L.A. (Alan Rudolph, 1976), Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977), Eyes of Laura Mars (Irvin Kershner, 1978), Thank God It’s Friday (Robert Klane, 1978)
Pretty much every single one of their '70's Style Icons list is just amazing

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So last month I removed my credit card from my profile, there is no other way to cancel right? Today I got an email that said if I don't cancel by may 8th they are gonna charge me again. WTF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So last month I removed my credit card from my profile, there is no other way to cancel right? Today I got an email that said if I don't cancel by may 8th they are gonna charge me again. WTF
The way they worded that email there is a way to cancel. Also, if you have no CC on file, how are they going to charge you?

This is a friendly reminder that your subscription to The Criterion Channel will automatically renew on Friday, May 8th at $89.99 plus applicable tax.
If you wish to cancel, log into your account and update your subscription in your account settings before Friday, May 8th. Thanks for being a subscriber!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
@Sam Posten, not sure how you're accessing your account, but I do see options to pause or cancel under the Settings --> Purchases tab/subsection on their site (via mobile Safari on my iPhone anyway)...

Maybe that tab or options are new to the site?

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
@Sam Posten, not sure how you're accessing your account, but I do see options to pause or cancel under the Settings --> Purchases tab/subsection on their site (via mobile Safari on my iPhone anyway)...

Maybe that tab or options are new to the site?

_Man_

Aha it was in the purchases not billing tab.

TERRIBLE UI. But cancelled thanks Man.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is anyone else using ATV4K seeing dropped frames every 7-8 seconds?
Yes, it's been like that since the beginning. Criterion is aware of the issue but don't seem to be in a hurry to fix it. I ended up getting a Roku just so I could watch their films properly.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Yes, it's been like that since the beginning. Criterion is aware of the issue but don't seem to be in a hurry to fix it. I ended up getting a Roku just so I could watch their films properly.
OK. Yeah, I had to switch to my Fire TV 4K when watching Red Desert the other night. It was just unwatchable on my Apple.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Either I'm blind in this respect (absolutely possible - I was never bothered over the 24/25 frames difference for NTSC vs. PAL so I can see not noticing it) but it is also entirely possible that there are other factors at play, and an AppleTV 4K in and of itself doesn't cause the problem consistently?
IIRC there is definitely an aTV related CC subtitle issue

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I've noticed it since the beginning, but decided to ignore it rather than deprive myself of movies I want to see. It looks like a small glitch every 10secs or so.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've noticed it since the beginning, but decided to ignore it rather than deprive myself of movies I want to see. It looks like a small glitch every 10secs or so.
I watched "Task Force" on the channel today just to see this glitch, but didn't see anything every 10 seconds or so.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks