What's new

General Discussion The Criterion Channel Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Does anybody know if Criterion Channel offers 5.1 support for titles in their catalog that have it?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Either I'm blind in this respect (absolutely possible - I was never bothered over the 24/25 frames difference for NTSC vs. PAL so I can see not noticing it) but it is also entirely possible that there are other factors at play, and an AppleTV 4K in and of itself doesn't cause the problem consistently?
IIRC there is definitely an aTV related CC subtitle issue
That's interesting because tonight I watched Wild Strawberries on my bedroom setup which is also an Apple TV 4K, but the Sony display is just 1080p. The frame-dropping did not occur! It looked perfect. So, it's only my 4K setup in my living room where I'm getting the dropped frames.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Does anybody know if Criterion Channel offers 5.1 support for titles in their catalog that have it?

Seems like no support for discrete surround formats... at least via Roku anyway -- I have a 1st(?) gen Premiere Plus.

I hadn't really paid attention for all the films I'd previously watched w/ it -- none that I recall would likely have discrete surround tracks anyway. I did just check several that should have them, eg. Ghost World, Adaptation, The Player, Secret Sunshine, In the Mood for Love, and all show PCM 2.0 only.

And the Roku app's settings don't allow any changes to the audio as far as I can tell.

_Man_

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
That's interesting because tonight I watched Wild Strawberries on my bedroom setup which is also an Apple TV 4K, but the Sony display is just 1080p. The frame-dropping did not occur! It looked perfect. So, it's only my 4K setup in my living room where I'm getting the dropped frames.
It doesn't happen on every title, but it was common enough to make me look for a work-around.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
May lineup...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am ashamed to say this, but I just canceled my subscription with a finger on the keyboard to possibly re-subscribe.

It was a great deal -- especially considering I received at least $30 in coupon savings over the course of the year.

The problem is, while I watched it quite enthusiastically for the first month or two. Over the past few months, I rarely watched anything.

I have a few days to think about this further. This was not my biggest streaming regret, however. That belongs to Disney+ which I should never have paid for 3 years in advance. I could have binged THE MANDALORIAN for one month's subscription price and canceled.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am ashamed to say this, but I just canceled my subscription with a finger on the keyboard to possibly re-subscribe.

It was a great deal -- especially considering I received at least $30 in coupon savings over the course of the year.

The problem is, while I watched it quite enthusiastically for the first month or two. Over the past few months, I

Same situation for me. It's a great channel with great offerings, but I somehow don't make enough time for it. No sense paying for something I don't use much.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I actually ended up doing a 4-film overnight marathon finish seemingly just beating their somewhat sluggish(?) process of expiring each of them until dawn this morning, LOL -- kinda reminds one of how B&N sales end. :P

Tried to do similarly last night.

Watched What's Up, Doc? w/ the family -- my 13-yo really enjoyed it, so I may just get it cheaply on Vudu or something since the BD seems OOP -- plus Truffaut's Day for Night w/ my firstborn, then Diva... and fell asleep to the rather forgettable Thank God It's Friday (and then woke too late for anymore)... :P

Wish I had more time to catch the various expiring films, but alas... Some of those are available fairly cheaply on Vudu, et al (but not so much on disc), so...

Also, mulled over and placed a last minute order w/ Screen Archives' Twilight Time sale in between the various films last night... but they apparently extended the sale again...

_Man_

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
For you folks that fit into the narrow demographic of "video gamer/art house movie lover", The Criterion Channel is now available on Xbox.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Does anyone know if the app was updated for Apple TV? I've watched 5 more films since I had the frame-dropping problem and I haven't had the problem since.

Also, the subtitles seem to be working. I haven't done a thorough check, but I just randomly selected about 8 English-language films. The subtitles worked on every one of them.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Does anyone know if the app was updated for Apple TV? I've watched 5 more films since I had the frame-dropping problem and I haven't had the problem since.

Also, the subtitles seem to be working. I haven't done a thorough check, but I just randomly selected about 8 English-language films. The subtitles worked on every one of them.

You can look on any app to see its version history. Also, if you go under App Store to "purchased," then to "recently updated," you can see all the apps that have been updated there.

Looks like it got 2 updates this week...

09215A47-6E47-43E5-9956-2475F82873EB.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
You can look on any app to see its version history. Also, if you go under App Store to "purchased," then to "recently updated," you can see all the apps that have been updated there.

Looks like it got 2 updates this week...

View attachment 72070
Thank you! I was wondering where I could find the update history!

So I guess it's possible that the frame-drop and subtitle issue for iOS has been fixed. I'll keep my fingers crossed. If those are both fixed, then I may actually get a year subscription. There's more than enough films on there that I want to see.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Thank you! I was wondering where I could find the update history!

So I guess it's possible that the frame-drop and subtitle issue for iOS has been fixed. I'll keep my fingers crossed. If those are both fixed, then I may actually get a year subscription. There's more than enough films on there that I want to see.

I'm going to look later tonight to see if I can still see the frame rate problem on the updated app - I was definitely seeing it before...

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Just did a random sample of 10 titles. Never saw the frame rate issue and subtitles on everything. Please don't subscribe for a full year based on what I alone saw, though ;)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Just did a random sample of 10 titles. Never saw the frame rate issue and subtitles on everything. Please don't subscribe for a full year based on what I alone saw, though ;)
Thanks for confirming! I'll wait a month before doing the annual subscription, just to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchellmdm8
Recent bookmarks