What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Noticed that Carnegie Hall just announced they won't require proof of vax anymore (until further notice) -- and they really didn't require the booster before either, except for a very brief period early on. Definitely wasn't expecting that -- they still do require masking for the foreseeable future though... despite that becoming not quite so required at most places in NYC anymore (after the state/citywide mandate was lifted).

Makes me wonder if I should bother getting my 2nd booster at all -- got my 1st booster back in late-Jan...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've held back on boosters thus far but started feeling inexplicably tired and worn down earlier today. I had the runny nose and sneezing but no shortness of breath or difficulty breathing. Since my wife is set to go into her office tomorrow we decided I should get tested. The home test we used says I'm negative and I am feeling better [still not 100%] but I have no idea what hit me. Maybe I'd better go ahead and get that shot.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The science indicates that the vaccine's protection against serious illness *does* wane over time. Does that protection go to zero (at some point)? I do not know. However, the science says you are less at risk of serious illness if you are current on boosters.

So, the question becomes.. How sick are you willing to be?

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One consideration would be if they come out with a variant-specific upgraded booster this fall. If there needed to be several months between your last booster and the new one, you may have to put off getting the upgraded version for a couple extra months if you get the standard one now.

I got my shot #4 in May, figuring if they came out with a new version of the vaccine I would probably be able to get it around Thanksgiving anyway (6 months).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, yes, I only meant whether I should get another booster now of the exact same version or maybe wait for the new version to come this Fall -- they haven't updated the vax yet since the originals...

IF someone never got a booster before, sure, I'd say definitely get one... unless perhaps one only recently caught Covid and gained some natural immunity -- my nearly-70-yo mother will probably wait for her next booster since she just very recently got Covid (and just recovered)...

_Man_

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Our son took the Mrs to get her 4th COVID shot at the Agri-Plex this afternoon. She's not pleased that I reminded him about it on Facebook Messenger, LOL!!
😆
😂
🤣
🤣
🤣
🤣

I just smiled and said, "You're welcome!"
😆

CHEERS! :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The science indicates that the vaccine's protection against serious illness *does* wane over time. Does that protection go to zero (at some point)? I do not know. However, the science says you are less at risk of serious illness if you are current on boosters.

So, the question becomes.. How sick are you willing to be?

Mark
To be safe I decided to get professionally tested. I went into my provider and had the more accurate Polymerase Chain Reaction [PCR] test as opposed to the antigen [Rapid] test I 'd used at home. The result was negative so now I can schedule my booster shot.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Just waiting for the new "improved" vaccine that better covers the new Covid variant. I'll take it as soon as it hits the market.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I was thinking to walk in for my 2nd booster, but since the updated version seems just around the corner now, guess I'll hold off a few more weeks for that instead...

_Man_

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While they've made it clear that they're working on revised boosters and that mRNA technology is relatively easy to update, I've not seen news about the release of a revised booster being imminent.

Sometime this Fall they're saying, but the Biden administration hasn't even bought any yet (even though the plan early this summer that they announced was September).

I suspect we're still a little ways away. And hopefully if they're a significant advantage, people like me that have gotten their 2nd booster in recent weeks won't have to wait until next year to get this Omicron tailored booster shot.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The news is the vax makers are being pressured to be ready for late summer / early fall release. The decision to not make 2nd boosters broadly available is part of the goal to get revised boosters broadly out later this year.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I guess that makes sense. I’m hoping the immunity bump I gained from having Covid in late June will carry me until an Omicron booster is widely available this fall because I still don’t qualify for the 2nd booster here.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I got tired of all the bs and the news articles about loads of Covid boosters being destroyed because of low interest in the booster shot. I went ahead and scheduled a 2nd booster through CVS for 10AM tomorrow. They’ll either let me get one or they won’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got my first booster on 11/30 and have been planning to get a second one. I really do try to get the most reliable info regarding the reality of what's going on and what's coming up. My interpretation is that the pending specialized boosters should NOT dissuade anyone who is eligible from getting a first or second booster now. They're not the same thing (the current vaccine has more broad protection), and as long as a few weeks have passed since your second booster, there should be no reason not to get the specialized booster this fall.

I had zero side effects from the shots I've gotten, so I really see no reason not to go ahead.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I got my first booster on 11/30 and have been planning to get a second one. I really do try to get the most reliable info regarding the reality of what's going on and what's coming up. My interpretation is that the pending specialized boosters should NOT dissuade anyone who is eligible from getting a first or second booster now. They're not the same thing (the current vaccine has more broad protection), and as long as a few weeks have passed since your second booster, there should be no reason not to get the specialized booster this fall.

I had zero side effects from the shots I've gotten, so I really see no reason not to go ahead.
Hopefully, this will also be the case in Ontario.. Nobody should be penalized for exercising on the side of caution in getting 2nd boosters, or 4th shots, as it were!

CHEERS! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
FDA has approved the latest booster shot from Pfizer and Moderna. This booster targets BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron sublineages. CDC scheduled later this week to recommend boosters for use. If they do then these shots can be administered.

I had my second Pfizer booster in April so I'm looking towards October to get this booster once it's approved and available.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FDA has approved the latest booster shot from Pfizer and Moderna. This booster targets BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron sublineages. CDC scheduled later this week to recommend boosters for use. If they do then these shots can be administered.

I had my second Pfizer booster in April so I'm looking towards October to get this booster once it's approved and available.
I delayed my second booster since I was expecting this to be coming. I’ll probably get in as soon as I can.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ll get it as soon as I can but will first check with my doctor to see if she has any opinion on the timing - for the last booster she thought a six month wait from my previous dose was best, and I’m not sure if her advice is the same this time. Had the booster in April so if six months is her recommendation then I’m looking at October. If it’s sooner, I have no objections to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks