What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’d read there was evidence that mixed doses has beneficial effects. Maybe Canada is doing this: Shot 1 from Pfizer and shot 2 from Moderna?

It might be a third shot booster being the other vaccine. So, I got Pfizer and a third shot would then be Moderna.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I believe Canada was allowing the substitution of an mRNA vaccine in place of a second dose of AstraZeneca’s adenovirus based vaccine, which was similar to the J&J in mechanism and efficacy only with two doses rather than one - but that may have more to do in the end with the mRNA vaccines being more effective than the viral vector vaccines.

A dose of Pfizer or Moderna should be more or less interchangeable because they both rely on the same mRNA technology.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It just continues to amaze me how many people without advanced education seem to think they know more than the doctors and scientists, and disbelieve all of the evidence that seems very plain to me.

What strikes me as bizarre are the people who say that they won't listen to their doctor if he tells them they should get vaccinated. Why do they even bother having a doctor? Do they take their doctor's advice on other matters? If so, why do they disbelieve them on this?

I admit that in my lower moments watching reports on the news, I say to my wife (and she expresses agreement), "Hospitals shouldn't admit anyone for Covid issues who refused to get the vaccine."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hospitals in SW Florida are about to go back to 2020 policies as far as surgeries go.
In that non emergency surgeries are likely to be cancelled until further notice.
My wife works in the biggest hospital system here and they’re having a meeting later today. One of them in Tampa already started cancelling them.
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this info.
BAA96A25-A9F8-49AA-BCED-D46A2C10BB64.jpeg

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife had her left hip joint replaced about 5 years ago. Her right hip started bothering her shortly thereafter but the scans showed that there was still cushion left in that hip so our HMO wouldn't replace it yet. Fast forward to 2020 and her right hip was bothering her more and more. She was finally able to schedule a phone consultation with her orthopedic surgeon (which is coming up this Thursday). The surgeon ordered scans in advance. Her right hip joint is now bone on bone. The consultation is to discuss risks/benefits and potentially schedule a date for the hip replacement.

I haven't told my wife this, but... I hope our HMO cancels all non emergency surgeries too. I am quite nervous about my wife going into the hospital during a dramatic increase in COVID cases. The surgery probably won't be scheduled until September or October. I fear the COVID situation is going to be far worse by then.

Mark

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My wife had her left hip joint replaced about 5 years ago. Her right hip started bothering her shortly thereafter but the scans showed that there was still cushion left in that hip so our HMO wouldn't replace it yet. Fast forward to 2020 and her right hip was bothering her more and more. She was finally able to schedule a phone consultation with her orthopedic surgeon (which is coming up this Thursday). The surgeon ordered scans in advance. Her right hip joint is now bone on bone. The consultation is to discuss risks/benefits and potentially schedule a date for the hip replacement.

I haven't told my wife this, but... I hope our HMO cancels all non emergency surgeries too. I am quite nervous about my wife going into the hospital during a dramatic increase in COVID cases. The surgery probably won't be scheduled until September or October. I fear the COVID situation is going to be far worse by then.

Mark
Have there been that many infections resulting from a hospital stay? I certainly understand your concern but if she does go to the hospital, I don't think she'd be at that great of a risk since she's vaccinated and will be wearing a mask.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
This coming Saturday night we're going across the street to a nice size party gathering. Choice of inside or outside. They are having a band and catered meal. This is the first time in 16 months we've done something like this but after the CDC stating that if you're fully vaccinated there's 99.99% chance you won't even go to the hospital if you're exposed to the Covid virus. I think we'll opt for the outside seating and not worry with the mask.
I'm not overly concerned!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Have there been that many infections resulting from a hospital stay? I certainly understand your concern but if she does go to the hospital, I don't think she'd be at that great of a risk since she's vaccinated and will be wearing a mask.

My mother and stepfather work in hospitals and they have been fine throughout this past year - their hospitals had ample PPE, ample separation of COVID patients from surgeries, and it’s been fine.

Additionally, in the past year, we’ve had family members undergo two different hip replacements, a shoulder replacement and a heart procedure, not to mention oral surgery, many during peak periods of infection prior to the existence of vaccines, and no one got the virus in those circumstances. In each case, the long term consequences of not taking care of the condition that necessitated the surgeries would have been worse than the minor risk of picking up COVID in an environment where everything is isolated, sterilized and staff are frequently tested.

Sometimes it’s best not to go looking for trouble. COVID is probably going to be with us indefinitely. I am more and more of the opinion that there is simply not going to be a finishing line where it just goes away. In that context, I believe it’s important to take care of unrelated health issues rather than postponing indefinitely as that can lead to worse outcomes.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just called the concert venue, they are requiring masks covering mouth and nose at all times except while eating/drinking only in designated areas (not in the general floor). This is making me feel a little better about possibly going.

@Mark Booth I'm not sure about San Diego hospitals but I literally was just watching the news thirty minutes ago and spokeperson for L.A. hospitals say "although there is an increase, L.A. hospitals are nowhere near the capacity they were at during the last big pandemic wave...we do not recommend people put off their normal non-COVID appointments and procedures". Again, that's just as of this afternoon, and only for L.A. Your part of S.D. may be totally different.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just called the concert venue, they are requiring masks covering mouth and nose at all times except while eating/drinking only in designated areas (not in the general floor). This is making me feel a little better about possibly going.
OK, I really want to know who you may be seeing. :laugh:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
OK, I really want to know who you may be seeing. :laugh:
A one-hit-wonder band that I've been following since college. Toad the Wet Sprocket. They broke up for 15 years but their frontman and main singer/songwriter had a robust solo career and my ex and I followed him for a long time as well. Sentimental value more than anything, and a band I've seen dozens (and if you count Glen solo, hundreds) of times, so that's why I would be okay missing it. But if it's safe, this would be my first taste of "music normalcy" since December 2019 (the last concert I went to).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
But not who I might be seeing? :( :D
You too! I'm totally intrigued but the joke is that I probably won't know who they are anyway.

I don't even know how many bands are already touring again. I know Lollapalooza was over the weekend, I think Guns N Roses are back on the road, I'm pretty sure Foo Fighters have done some one-off shows but I don't know anyone else that's back to touring.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A one-hit-wonder band that I've been following since college. Toad the Wet Sprocket. They broke up for 15 years but their frontman and main singer/songwriter had a robust solo career and my ex and I followed him for a long time as well. Sentimental value more than anything, and a band I've seen dozens (and if you count Glen solo, hundreds) of times, so that's why I would be okay missing it. But if it's safe, this would be my first taste of "music normalcy" since December 2019 (the last concert I went to).

Dude, I met them! I was doing street team work for their record label and a bunch of other bands around 2003 or so and as a thank you the label sent me VIP tickets and backstage passes. Good show, nice guys.

Moment of truth, Travis: possibly Green Day this week, possibly Lindsey Buckingham in September, probably Elvis Costello in October. I’m thinking you might go 3/3 on name recognition there.

You too! I'm totally intrigued but the joke is that I probably won't know who they are anyway.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah they're super nice. I've been to several meet and greets over the years, and when Glen played the Largo my ex and I saw him just about every night of his 3 year residency there (basically every other Wednesday, minus holidays, for 3 years). And yes it was a tiny venue and often our table would be right in front of him...like 8-10 feet away. I'm sure he doesn't know my name, but I guarantee you he would recognize me and my ex if we ran into him on the street.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Moment of truth, Travis: possibly Green Day this week, possibly Lindsey Buckingham in September, probably Elvis Costello in October. I’m thinking you might go 3/3 on name recognition there.
I don't go nowhere and I'd go see Elvis... as long as he's playing This Year's Girl.

And yeah, I'm happy to say that I know all of them so I'm not quite as out of touch as I fear. Although the newest act on your list got big in 1994 so maybe I don't quite have my finger on the pulse. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks