What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Off topic: My wife received two vaccines a week ago Friday. The new Shingles vaccine in one arm and a Pneumonia booster vaccine in the other arm. We don't know which one went in which arm but her right arm developed a big swollen lump in it that was warm to the touch. She had a mild fever the day after the vaccines. Her arm hurt like hell.

She is doing much better now. We read that the symptoms she had were quite common for the new Shingles vaccine. So, we are guessing the Shingles vaccine went into the right arm.

My wife said that this one was MUCH more of a pain in the arm than the Pfizer vaccine.

Mark

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Off topic: My wife received two vaccines a week ago Friday. The new Shingles vaccine in one arm and a Pneumonia booster vaccine in the other arm. We don't know which one went in which arm but her right arm developed a big swollen lump in it that was warm to the touch. She had a mild fever the day after the vaccines. Her arm hurt like hell.

She is doing much better now. We read that the symptoms she had were quite common for the new Shingles vaccine. So, we are guessing the Shingles vaccine went into the right arm.

My wife said that this one was MUCH more of a pain in the arm than the Pfizer vaccine.

Mark
As I've had chicken pox as an adult, I do hope to get the Shingles vaccine, someday! Unfortunately, as the $$$ cost is only covered for age 65+ in our province, I simply have to do without it and take my chances, which kind of sucks.

CHEERS! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yankees and Red Sox game cancelled because of Covid outbreak with Yankee players. So far three players are positive and all three were previously vaccinated. The players are doing well, but tested positive. There are three more players are in quarantine awaiting further test results. Those players haven't been publicly identified nor whether they were vaccinated.

Edit: Reportedly Aaron Judge is one of those players not publicly confirmed so that means other players that participated in the All-Star game are undergoing additional Covid testing due to contact tracing procedures.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
L.A. County has reinstated mask and physical distancing requirements for indoor activities due to having over 1000 positive tests daily over the last seven days. There was also a separate article a day or two ago in the L.A. Times quoting that as of that writing (it may be different now) none of the deaths or hospitalizations were fully vaccinated people. So I'm hoping that will spur some of the holdouts to get their shots.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Arkansas is still lagging nationally at about 35% fully vaccinated, if I remember correctly. Coincidentally, we now have a law making it illegal for any government official to mandate mask wearing. This isn’t going to end well for a lot of people.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
L.A. County has reinstated mask and physical distancing requirements for indoor activities due to having over 1000 positive tests daily over the last seven days. There was also a separate article a day or two ago in the L.A. Times quoting that as of that writing (it may be different now) none of the deaths or hospitalizations were fully vaccinated people. So I'm hoping that will spur some of the holdouts to get their shots.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the holdouts. An article I read (regarding LA County) stated that among the currently eligible but unvaccinated, 54% of them are estimated to be anti-vaccine. They have zero intention of getting vaccinated, ever.

Mark

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I wouldn't hold your breath on the holdouts. An article I read (regarding LA County) stated that among the currently eligible but unvaccinated, 54% of them are estimated to be anti-vaccine. They have zero intention of getting vaccinated, ever.

Mark
The only way the vaccinated numbers will increase is if the pain of not doing it exceeds the pain of doing it. Our government could make it happen if they had the will to do so. Otherwise this will go on forever or until they die whichever comes first.

EDIT: This is not aimed at a political party. I don't care who is in charge. Make it happen.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

Mark
So the optimistic side of me sees that as 46% that we need to focus outreach on. That should get us ever so much closer to the herd immunity figure we need, and the others can contract it and take their chances.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
So the optimistic side of me sees that as 46% that we need to focus outreach on. That should get us ever so much closer to the herd immunity figure we need, and the others can contract it and take their chances.
The problem here is as one of the experts stated "every non-vaccinated person is a lottery ticket for the virus to make a variant that will overcome the vaccine"
It is unlikely that herd immunity will work at least at the oft quoted 70% level according to many experts.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The problem here is as one of the experts stated "every non-vaccinated person is a lottery ticket for the virus to make a variant that will overcome the vaccine"
It is unlikely that herd immunity will work at least at the oft quoted 70% level according to many experts.

Exactly!

Mark

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Then there's this:

At least my daughter, who *was* against it, got Covid, risked giving it to her kids, who managed to come out unscathed, and has had a very rough recovery, is now going to get vaccinated and push the 2 oldest (14 & 17) into also being vaccinated. The youngest is still just a bit too young (11yo).

My wife got Covid, a bad case (though not hospital bad) that took her over 6 weeks to recover from, still says she's not going to get vaccinated and still believes it's not effective in spite of evidence to the contrary (in our own house).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've read reports of unvaccinated people now in the hospital with COVID, and doctors reporting they're "begging for the vaccine."

I just laugh. I feel bad for kids that are not yet eligible for the vaccine, or others that have a valid doctor-approved medical reason for not being vaccinated that may get caught up in the tragedy of these people. But I have zero sympathy for any otherwise healthy, vaccine-eligible people that rejected the vaccine and become infected and very ill. Zero.

Apologies to those still debating this with some family members. I know it can be tough, but they made their beds. I have at least one in my family still resisting the vaccine. If she wants to get sick, that's her problem.

It just continues to amaze me how many people without advanced education seem to think they know more than the doctors and scientists, and disbelieve all of the evidence that seems very plain to me.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Then there's this:

At least my daughter, who *was* against it, got Covid, risked giving it to her kids, who managed to come out unscathed, and has had a very rough recovery, is now going to get vaccinated and push the 2 oldest (14 & 17) into also being vaccinated. The youngest is still just a bit too young (11yo).

My wife got Covid, a bad case (though not hospital bad) that took her over 6 weeks to recover from, still says she's not going to get vaccinated and still believes it's not effective in spite of evidence to the contrary (in our own house).
I suspect that while we won't force people to get vaccinated that it will become more difficult to be in that group. People are starting to realize that the problems we are having getting back to normal are the fault of the un-vaccinated and there will be things they won't be allowed to do and places they will not be allowed to go and a price to pay for their status. The recent announcement from the NFL is (IMHO) a warning shot.

I say this in all kindness Howie. I know that you are already distressed about it so realize "It's not your fault"

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Then there's this:

You and your family have my sympathies... but once they catch Covid-19 and recover, shouldn't the vaccine be unnecessary, eg. for your wife?

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You and your family have my sympathies... but once they catch Covid-19 and recover, shouldn't the vaccine be unnecessary, eg. for your wife?

_Man_
Yes, that's my understanding but I've also read that it doesn't hurt as the vaccine supposedly protects longer than having had the illness.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

_Man_
While chances of infection are statistically very low for those with COVID antigens in their system, current guidelines still recommend vaccination.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Then there's this:

I just don’t understand. I suppose the saying is correct that you can lead a horse to water…

How are you making it since it’s unlikely the mask mandate will be overturned here?

Users who are viewing this thread