What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I don't think he meant it as it shouldn't count as a death, but rather it shouldn't necessarily be as big a red flag as a breakthrough infection death as say that of a young, healthy, no pre-existing condition persons (in terms of likelihood the "average" vaccinated person may be at risk for death). You are correct to be concerned, Mark as the rate is not zero.

What's more concerning to me is a larger unknown, which I saw mentioned in an article that I've since lost.

Millions of Americans (including at least one of my close family members) have autoimmune diseases and take immunosuppressants. Since the vaccines are so new and testing was on an accelerated scale, there isn't good data as to whether those who take these drugs, which are specifically designed to suppress one's immune system, are somehow not getting the full effect of the vaccines' protection.

I believe the article you are referring to mentioned a doctor that was taking immunosuppressants (due to heart transplant) and received the Pfizer vaccine. After he was fully vaccinated he had an antibody test done and there was no antibodies present. Then he also had the J&J vaccine, which then produced a small level of antibodies.

Mark

Max Taxable

Xenforo Addon Developer
Real Name
James
As a side note, in my region the daily recoveries are regularly and easily outnumbering the daily new cases, the latter of which has been in single digits for the last two months. And is often, 1 or 0. I haven't seen any mask wearing going on, everything looks back to normal as we're having baseball games, concerts, festivals parades, you name it. The virus is still out there, but even our rest homes are open for visitors again. The vaccines DO work and the sooner we get everyone inoculated possible, the sooner life as we knew it, can resume.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In Leiu of Canada Day, I shall designate July 2nd as Tony Bensley Day; to which all of us here at HTF can also celebrate. :thumbs-up-smiley:

You just became a personal hero of mine!
Awww, Shucks!!!! :D :emoji_hearts::thumbsup:

Screen_Shot_2020_05_28_at_1.36.51_PM.jpg

CHEERS! :)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Some people just refuse to get it. And by that, I mean both the pandemic and their shots.

Someone I’ve known for years, who is now in their 60’s, has decided NOT to get vaccinated.

When asked why not, the reply was, “I don’t need to, because I live a healthy life”.:eek:
I read an article with a football player who was basically saying that they didn't feel like they needed the vaccine because they've gone this long without getting COVID, and he'll worry about treatment when he does get sick.

Maybe we need an education campaign about what preventative medicine is.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I read an article with a football player who was basically saying that they didn't feel like they needed the vaccine because they've gone this long without getting COVID, and he'll worry about treatment when he does get sick.

Maybe we need an education campaign about what preventative medicine is.
It’s a little known secret in America, but some of our greatest scientists, physicians and public health experts are also moonlighting as professional athletes.

Yes, by all means, get sick first; then burden our system and place the lives of our front-line workers at risk, while also asking to be saved. Oh, yes, that is the most brilliant and selfless solution I have ever heard.:blink:

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Really? I thought both shots needed to be the same variant. Perhaps I'm not up on the latest developments.
That had been the accepted wisdom. But then, there was at least one case here in New Hampshire in which a man got Pfizer for his first shot, and was mistakenly given Moderna for his second. There was some sturm und drang about it for a while, but the health professionals decided that it didn't appear to cause a problem. Pfizer and Moderna are both mRNA vaccines. There's still been an attempt to use the same vaccine for both shots -- so Tony's post threw me for a loop -- but just as a precautionary measure.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just when I think the COVID vaccine drama is over in our province....

I'm anticipating another call from my family doctor on Monday, as I'm already 9 weeks in! :D

Plus, the Mrs. will now be eligible for her 2nd dose on the 22nd! :thumbsup: The ever changing guidelines have her head spinning!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I'm anticipating another call from my family doctor on Monday, as I'm already 9 weeks in! :D

Plus, the Mrs. will now be eligible for her 2nd dose on the 22nd! :thumbsup: The ever changing guidelines have her head spinning!

Let us know when you have the shot so we can determine which day is Tony Bensley Day ;)?

Max Taxable

Xenforo Addon Developer
Real Name
James
Really? I thought both shots needed to be the same variant. Perhaps I'm not up on the latest developments.
The variants are really irrelevant. The variants all use the same spike protein we are inoculating against. We're not vaccinating against the virus itself at all.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The variants are really irrelevant. The variants all use the same spike protein we are inoculating against. We're not vaccinating against the virus itself at all.
The B1.617 variant which is ravaging India, has split into two variants (Kappa and Delta)
And both have multiple mutations in the spike protein. Now it's not certain if those mutations are enough to have a deleterious effect on the current set of vaccines's efficacy and protection, but if enough mutations continue to arise, one may. So to say the variants are "irrelevant" may not be true for much longer.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I believe Max was using variant in reference to the two different mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 currently authorized in the United States (Moderna and Pfizer). It's increasingly the opinion of experts it would seem that it's not a necessity that both doses be of the same vaccine, since they're both designed to work in a similar manner and can be used interchangeably when necessary.

They're all hard at work on potential booster shots for their current products and revised vaccines to account for the evolution of this virus, so hopefully the vaccine makers will be able to keep it in check and quickly adapt as it evolves.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Let us know when you have the shot so we can determine which day is Tony Bensley Day ;)?

This Friday, June 18 at 11:40 AM. Second dose: Moderna. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
:confused::confused:

I will never understand the supposed argument that a death shouldn't be counted as caused by COVID because of preexisting conditions. Are you suggesting that this person would have died at that exact same time and place even if COVID wasn't present?

It's like saying a liver cancer patient died from liver failure and then discounting the fact that the failure was caused by cancer.

Mark
It’s that the news so far has been that the few deaths from COVID-19 in vaccinated individuals have been people who were very unhealthy to begin with. With all sympathies to those lost needlessly to the pandemic… this is overall great news, because it continues to show that the vaccines are incredibly effective and almost completely prevent death.

And I am very glad for this, since I again had to travel this week, and was crammed in a full plane, and in a full airport, and in a very full airport tram.

I encourage everyone to get their vaccine. And be heartened that you can really start getting back to normal after doing so, with total vaccination rates 50% to 70% of adults in most of the US.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The Delta variant (which is the variant that is causing so much devastating loss in India) is now about 10% of U.S. infections. The Delta variant is said to be the most contagious variant so far and also causes more severe illness in a larger percentage of cases. The Delta variant apparently multiplies more quickly, thus increasing the viral load. A higher viral load is a main contributor to unfortunate outcomes.

The good news is the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are reportedly 88-90% effective against the Delta variant causing symptomatic infection. That's down a little bit from previous variants. For those vaccinated, the odds of death are still quite low should the Delta variant cause a symptomatic infection.

The bad news is, overall, the new case rate in the U.S. has stopped falling. It's leveled off and scientists believe it is partially due to the spread of the Delta variant.

As Harrison Ford says, I've got a bad feeling about this. I fear we are going to see a resurgence in infections and the death rate will start rising again. There are just too many people that refuse to get vaccinated.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks