What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just got back from my 2nd vaccine appointment, and am already feeling some slight dizziness. It turns out my self medicating this morning was probably necessary.

Unfortunately, I can't really much bask in the glow of being fully vaccinated, as we received some devastating news about the loss of two dear family friends (Not COVID related) earlier this morning! Tony Bensley Day is a bit of a bust, I'm afraid. :(

So sorry for your loss, Tony.

How about we try this celebration again in two weeks when you’re considered fully immunized?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
So sorry for your loss, Tony.

How about we try this celebration again in two weeks when you’re considered fully immunized?
July 2 works for me Josh, and thank you!

That so many of us on here have had both vaccines is absolutely worth celebrating! :thumbs-up-smiley:

CHEERS! :)

P.S. Here are a few pics from Today's Vaxx appointment:

IMG_20210618_120018.jpg

IMG_20210618_115816.jpg

IMG_20210618_115701 (2)_LI.jpg

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
So far, the recommended (mostly) over the counter medications have kept the worst side effects at bay. I did turn in early last night, as I was feeling extra tiredness, which seems to be common with the Moderna vaccine. This morning, I'm also noticing just a bit of soreness in my left deltoid muscle, but nothing severe.

Most importantly, the unofficial 2 week countdown to full vaccination protection has begun! I'm thinking since I got my 2nd dose at 11:53 AM yesterday, I'll round it up to High Noon on July 2nd as my (Again, unofficial!) "Vaccination Emancipation!"

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Just read an article on CNN's website. The Delta variant is more readily impacting younger people and making them sicker (that previous strains) in the process. One healthcare system administrator in Missouri (where vaccination rates are lower than most of the country) said 4 weeks ago they were losing an average of 1 person per week to COVID. Now they are losing 1-2 people per day. That's a 7-14 fold increase in deaths. And the ones that are dying are unvaccinated and younger.

A friend sent a link to another article a couple of days ago. It detailed the stories of four people that hadn't been vaccinated. Three had died, one barely survived. It took a double lung transplant to save him.

That pissed me off a little bit. I don't wish anyone to die from this horrible disease but, in this case, total carelessness on this person's part resulted in a KNOWN to be widely present threat causing him serious harm. If he had simply taken the time to get vaccinated those valuable lungs could have gone to someone else.

Mark

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Three had died, one barely survived. It took a double lung transplant to save him.

That pissed me off a little bit. I don't wish anyone to die from this horrible disease but, in this case, total carelessness on this person's part resulted in a KNOWN to be widely present threat causing him serious harm. If he had simply taken the time to get vaccinated those valuable lungs could have gone to someone else.

Well, I don't know the circumstances of the person that needed the lung transplants but in general you have to be in reasonably good health otherwise to qualify. I assume it was a younger person. Young people make a a lot of poor decisions and mistakes and end up learning the hard way. This often will cost them their lives. I also have to view the decisions people make as being somewhat distorted because we live in a time of so much disinformation that many people really have no idea what the truth is. Sure, plenty of that is ignorance on their part and some of it is they just are watching and listening to the wrong people.

Someone already has thrown out the words "natural selection" in this thread and the truth is that people that die of Covid 19 post vaccination availability because they intentionally avoided vaccination because they are anti-vaccination or conspiracy theorists...well...they are definitely part of the natural selection process and that is how the species gets stronger and wiser.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Someone already has thrown out the words "natural selection" in this thread
That might of been me. I am not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when the crap they are believing is so ridiculous. These are things that are not even close to being reasonable. By not vaccinating, they are putting me and my loved ones in danger. I will not root for someone to die but I will not mourn their passing.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My 2nd Moderna shot will be next Wed. It was originally set for yesterday evening, but I postponed it to make sure I don't get knocked/worn out for this anticipated busy weekend in case I turn out to be part of the minority who gets hit hard for multiple days by the 2nd dose. :unsure:

_Man_
We did something similar in scheduling our 2nd Pfizer shot, making sure we had an open day on the calendar afterwards just in case we had a bad reaction. Since the only side effect my wife and I each had was a sore arm, I used the "found time" to wash the windows at home.

I'm not sure if feeling a little sick would have been better or worse. :laugh:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We did something similar in scheduling our 2nd Pfizer shot, making sure we had an open day on the calendar afterwards just in case we had a bad reaction. Since the only side effect my wife and I each had was a sore arm, I used the "found time" to wash the windows at home.

I'm not sure if feeling a little sick would have been better or worse. :laugh:

I basically did the same thing - I had to have oral surgery so I scheduled that the day before the second dose. I figured I was gonna be cranky the day after the procedure anyway, so might as well get the shot then instead of on a day where nothing else was going on. And indeed I was cranky - can’t tell how much was attributable to the shot and how much to the antibiotics (which always leave me feeling run down) but the whole thing was a net positive since I got my feeling crappy tasks all done at the same time.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
That might of been me. I am not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when the crap they are believing is so ridiculous. These are things that are not even close to being reasonable. By not vaccinating, they are putting me and my loved ones in danger. I will not root for someone to die but I will not mourn their passing.

Well, one thing I have sadly grown accustomed to living in these post truth and facts times is that yes, a sizable portion of the population "believes" a lot of nonsense and there seems not much we can do about that. Somehow there was an accelerated burst of...well...stupidity and it became very apparent that a good portion of middle America was losing their minds. The truth is at least a third or more of our population honestly believes that beliefs are better and more valid than facts and truth. These folks don't trust science, don't care about facts, have been trained not to trust the media, and are floating out there on waves of disinformation.

So, in the midst of a pandemic we were not going to be helped along by a population also infected by madness and delusion. Hence we lost 600,000 plus people to the virus here in the US. Now science has addressed the virus, provided us with solutions and relief, and so far fewer people will be victims of Covid but...there is no vaccination to make people smarter, better decision makers, less prone to believing lies and nonsense, and less likely to fall for insane conspiracy theories. The truth is when you have this many people in a society that have been so radically misinformed the end result is going to always be unnecessary deaths, be it from a virus, violence, or general misadventure. Or boiled down to two words, natural selection.

Unfortunately there is still a sucker born every minute and there are all kinds of people that are ready and waiting to take advantage of them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
There have always been "suckers" and "conspiracy nuts" since the dawn of time. I would wager they've never been in such high number (both in raw numbers due to population growth, and as a percent of a population) as they are today. I have a theory which is totally my own. Just my rumination on how we've arrived at a point where a significant amount of people believe that microchips and/or magnetic particles are in the COVID vaccine.

The Internet.

It's brought us many great things. HTF wouldn't exist without it. But the Internet has also allowed people unprecedented ease to self-select what they're exposed to in order to perform confirmation bias. Before the Internet you had only a few options if you held fringe beliefs. If you were highly functioning, you had to talk it out with your fellow humans, face-to-face, and get your beliefs challenged. Ultimately if you had sufficient emotional intelligence, you'd likely change your mind to conform your beliefs with the facts that society at large put in front of you. If not, you hid away in your home and festered in your thoughts, but your ability to infect others was relatively minimal.

Now with the internet, anyone with fringe beliefs can easily post to a board, or start a blog, or even if they're too lazy to do either, can easily just google search for people who share their completely unfounded beliefs. So even if every town had its small share of fringe people pre-internet, those people tended to self isolate. Now what we're seeing is them banding together through the internet, and infecting those who in the past would have been "on the fence but easily sway-able" to a much larger degrees than ever before.

That coupled with the lowering of STEM education in the US, and the current climate of "alternate facts", is the melange of ingredients to give rise to fringe beliefs being able to take hold on a large percent of the population.

Or as John Oliver recently noted:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It's exactly 48 hours since my 2nd COVID vaccination, this time with Moderna, and I'm now back to my normal (such as it is!) self! :D

Yes, but did you check to see if keys stick to you because that's the true test of if the vaccine is working? I'm currently covered in keys and spare change so I know I am protected.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, but did you check to see if keys stick to you because that's the true test of if the vaccine is working? I'm currently covered in keys and spare change so I know I am protected.
I'd rather have 5G, as in 5 Grand! Then, I could buy me some desired classic movie and comedy team series Blu-ray upgrades!! :lol:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Over the weekend, I discovered that our nearby pharmacy is now set up for COVID vaccinations. When I called this morning, I was able to set up an appointment for the Mrs. to get her 2nd dose on her first day of eligibility tomorrow at 10 AM. Like me, her 1st dose was AstraZeneca and her 2nd will be Moderna.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Mrs. and our son just got back from her Moderna shot. She's already feeling some lightheadedness like I did this past Friday. For some reason, I didn't previously realize the side effects could hit that quickly. Maybe it's an AstraZeneca/Moderna mix thing that goes with the increased 2nd dose immune response?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
For those that think they are invulnerable following vaccination:

Granted, the odds of serious illness appear to be next to zero for vaccinated persons. But who wants to feel sick *at all*?

I predict we'll see more of this due to the Delta variant. It's FAR from being over and many more unvaccinated individuals are going to die.

Mark

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would venture to guess that the vast majority of people getting the vaccine (or any immunization) understand it’s not 100%.

There has never been a guarantee that we’d live this life without any illness at all.

I would guess that most people feel that if their most likely risk post vaccination is either an asymptomatic infection or a cold, that’s enough protection for most people to get back to normal life. And in general I think that’s a pretty reasonable place to set the goal posts.

I’ve quibbled before on the exact timing - I won’t feel fully comfortable until all members of my household are eligible to be vaccinated - but it’s not my call to decide policy for the state/country/world.

All that’s left for me to do at this point is observe the precautions I feel comfortable with and go about my life as best I can within those confines. Everyone is different, of course, but for my own mental well-being I’ve had to let go of being judgmental and resentful of others’ choices, otherwise I will wind up poisoning myself with anxiety and anger that won’t make one bit of difference to everyone making different choices than I am but will ensure that I’m miserable when I don’t have to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks