What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have ZERO evidence to back what I’m about to say, other than my anecdotal one going around town. I’m willing to bet the states with the highest vaccination rates (of which CA is one) also have relatively high continued mask wearing. Conversely I’d also be willing to bet The states with the lowest vaccination rates also have the lowest amount of people wearing masks. (Both comments refer to percentages of the population).
I would say you are 100% correct. We ain’t much for fancy book learnin’ down here. ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My appointment for my 2nd COVID vaccination shot has been moved up to July 2.

Just missed being fully vaxxed in time for Canada Day by a day! :D

CHEERS! :)
That's great to hear.

At the same time I wish more of my fellow vaccine-hesitant countrymen would realize what an absolute luxury the US has in comparison to vaccine availability than other countries. It boggles my mind that we are now struggling to get people interested in taking it while other countries are simply thankful when they're able to get their vaccines weeks and months after we were able to. This is beyond a "first world problem", this is a uniquely American problem. Let's hope it doesn't turn into an American tragedy. Already there are rumblings that a third wave may be coming for the UK who was the first to prioritize vaccination and actually green-lit the first one for public use before the U.S. did.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That all makes sense to me.

I feel like I’m not explaining this well.

I now live in the suburbs (at least temporarily) in an area where there are no shared buildings, no shared living spaces, etc. I was only trying to express that I was surprised that some people were still electing to wear masks in spaces where it would not be necessary to do so, not because of vaccination, but because a year into this, there's a better understanding of how covid spreads and doesn't spread. So the first time I noticed someone wearing a mask while alone in their own backyard, that took me by surprise. Or when I saw someone walking on a trail where there wasn't another soul within half a mile in either direction, that took me by surprise. I wasn't attempting to be judgmental or to suggest that there was anything wrong with taking precautions that bring peace of mind. It simply took me by surprise. As I've said before, I always carry one with me. But based on more recent evidence and guidelines, I do not feel it is necessary to wear a mask while alone in my own backyard.

I would not have the same surprised reaction to seeing people wearing masks indoors, or in outdoor common spaces where people might linger, or in crowded outdoor spaces.
Or while driving your car... alone. I've seen that frequently here and just don't get it. When I'm in my car alone or with people I'm with regularly (wife/grandkids) I don't wear one - ever. While the mask mandate has been removed and the vast number of the population here now go maskless (in spite of a ~30% full vaccination rate) I still see one being worn in a car on occasion.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If I've just been in a store and walk out to my car, and I'm just popping a few blocks over to stop at another store, I might keep the mask on for that short distance. Now that we're into summer weather, though...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've regularly seen that too and my theory was that they just forgot to take it off.
I will occasionally be seen driving with a mask on.

Why? Because the vast majority of places I drive to are just a 5-10 minutes away. And the number of times I've taken off my mask to drive, gotten out of the car and to my destination (which inevitably requires a mask for entrance) and then have to go back to my car...I just leave it on so I don't play that game. I have the worst short term memory.

But yeah if I'm driving a significant distance, no way that stays on.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I do the same if I'm going a few blocks to another place that I need my mask on.

I use hand sanitizer when I get in my car before touching my face and mask to remove my mask. And then more hand sanitizer when I've tucked my mask away.

By keeping it on if I know I'm going to need it again shortly, I can cut the hand sanitizing annoyance in half and just use some when I get in the car before touching stuff like my seat belt and steering wheel.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Reminder: Although the risk to fully vaccinated persons is very very low, the risk is not zero. San Diego County has had a confirmed 458 cases of COVID-19 infection in fully vaccinated persons, and now, one death.

Mark

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Reminder: Although the risk to fully vaccinated persons is very very low, the risk is not zero. San Diego County has had a confirmed 458 cases of COVID-19 infection in fully vaccinated persons, and now, one death.

Mark
After reading the article, I don't know that this particular case is fairly attributed to COVID as there were several preexisting conditions. Either way, your reminder is still appropriate.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
After reading the article, I don't know that this particular case is fairly attributed to COVID as there were several preexisting conditions. Either way, your reminder is still appropriate.

:confused::confused:

I will never understand the supposed argument that a death shouldn't be counted as caused by COVID because of preexisting conditions. Are you suggesting that this person would have died at that exact same time and place even if COVID wasn't present?

It's like saying a liver cancer patient died from liver failure and then discounting the fact that the failure was caused by cancer.

Mark

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't think he meant it as it shouldn't count as a death, but rather it shouldn't necessarily be as big a red flag as a breakthrough infection death as say that of a young, healthy, no pre-existing condition persons (in terms of likelihood the "average" vaccinated person may be at risk for death). You are correct to be concerned, Mark as the rate is not zero.

What's more concerning to me is a larger unknown, which I saw mentioned in an article that I've since lost.

Millions of Americans (including at least one of my close family members) have autoimmune diseases and take immunosuppressants. Since the vaccines are so new and testing was on an accelerated scale, there isn't good data as to whether those who take these drugs, which are specifically designed to suppress one's immune system, are somehow not getting the full effect of the vaccines' protection.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
:confused::confused:

I will never understand the supposed argument that a death shouldn't be counted as caused by COVID because of preexisting conditions. Are you suggesting that this person would have died at that exact same time and place even if COVID wasn't present?

It's like saying a liver cancer patient died from liver failure and then discounting the fact that the failure was caused by cancer.

Mark

I thought about whether or not to post this comment as I do not want the thread veering off topic again. I'm not sure whether or not we even disagree but, if we do, let's do it respectfully.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
According to the day I'm scheduled (July 2) to receive my 2nd Vaccine dose, it'll likely be Moderna this time, I've been told.

Really? I thought both shots needed to be the same variant. Perhaps I'm not up on the latest developments.
Understandable given your country never accepted the AstraZeneca vaccine, which was the main subject of the UK based mixed vaccine testing trials.

It turns out almost any other COVID vaccine can be administered as a 2nd dose alternative to the AstraZeneca 1st dose, but not necessarily the other way around.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My appointment for my 2nd COVID vaccination shot has been moved up to July 2.

Just missed being fully vaxxed in time for Canada Day by a day! :D

In Leiu of Canada Day, I shall designate July 2nd as Tony Bensley Day; to which all of us here at HTF can also celebrate. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Some people just refuse to get it. And by that, I mean both the pandemic and their shots.

Someone I’ve known for years, who is now in their 60’s, has decided NOT to get vaccinated.

When asked why not, the reply was, “I don’t need to, because I live a healthy life”.:eek:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks