What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My understanding is that the NY state run sites will now be open to walk-ins ages 50+, where prior to this change, walk-ins were only accepted for those 75+.

I think it’s actually a good thing. The websites can be glitchy and confusing to use for the most computer literate among us; they must be extremely frustrating for those who aren’t. Vaccine eligibility in NY is now 16+ (the youngest age the vaccine is approved for) with no other qualifying conditions required. In other words, if everyone is allowed to get it, there’s less of a reason to prescreen who is allowed to show up. I think pivoting to a system where more people can just show up will ultimately make the whole thing run smoother for numerous reasons. It’ll encourage people who have been holding off to let others they perceive have greater need to get it first realize that their time is now. It’ll make it easier for people in the same household to go together. It’ll get people who are willing to take it but less willing to put the effort into scheduling it to go. And I think it’ll also be a positive peer pressure situation, as people start hearing from their friends, family and colleagues that they just went and got it, that’ll demystify it further and help with some of the hesitancy. Once the word starts getting out that you can just go and get it on your way home from work or while you’re on the way to the grocery store, rather than spending hours hitting refresh on your computer to make an appointment four weeks from now, I think more people will avail themselves of it.

edit: sorry Robert, saw your post after I did this. No objection if you wanna nuke this.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
My first thought when I heard they had appointment slots going unused locally at the state run center at SUNY Potsdam, was declining interest.

But while that's bound to happen, there are a lot more options now for getting one of these. So it's not too surprising that this state run center is now slowing down a bit. A lot of the out of towners that were keeping it humming are probably now getting one locally rather than traveling to Potsdam.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Somebody earlier mentioned Bee Sting.

Just got Yellow-Jacketed this afternoon and damn that's 100x worse than the vaccine. I only get stung maybe once a year, but always forget how much it hurts. I was cleaning up some bush/shrub trimming and felt a pain in my hand -- first few seconds I thought I'm gotten a thorny branch until it got a lot worse, looked down and saw the Jacket still attached and pumping venom. I literally had to take my other hand and manually pull it off (swiping wasn't going to do it). I know I'm not allergic, but there's always that minute of doubt "what will I do if this is the time it happens ...."
I've only been stung by a yellow jacket once, but I was really surprised how much it hurt. Right on the tip of my pinkie finger. Not as bad as being bitten by a black widow, which I've also experienced once, but a lot closer on the pain ratio than you'd expect.

To stay on topic, I got my 2nd Pfizer shot a week ago. Just some sore shoulder the next day. I found that moving my arm around made it a lot better.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They should also make clear that vaccination is free. I'm afraid a fair number of people think you either need insurance or have to pay cash for a vaccine.

I know when you sign up in my state, they ask you for your insurance information, but if you don't have insurance you can still sign up and you will not have to pay anything.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Had to get a haircut today and run to Kroger for a few things. I had said last week that I was switching to curbside pickup only but I couldn’t get a time slot that worked with my schedule so I double masked and dove in. Probably 99% of the people in the store were maskless. I only saw four or five other shoppers wearing one. Good thing everyone in Sportclips still had good sense and was masked up. Yesterday morning, I had to take one of my dogs to the vet. This week, they had opened their lobby and stopped doing curbside service. When we came out of the exam room, I was the only person out of about 20 wearing a mask in this tiny lobby with no airflow. One lady even had a wet, hacking cough and wasn’t even trying to cover it. We’re doomed.

That's odd because every Kroger and other supermarkets I've been to have been nearly 100% masked.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Got my second Moderna this afternoon. They said if I did feel any of the side effects that it likely wouldn’t start for 6-8 hours so I’m not quite there yet.

Also had dental surgery yesterday so I’m feeling slightly off to begin with from that.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Getting my second Pfizer jab tomorrow morning. The second dose reportedly causes some discomfort so I'm getting mentally prepared. I usually feel like crap all the time anyway so it can't really be that bad. My vaccination site is run by FEMA and the area is cordoned off and surrounded by guardsmen. I felt like an extra at a movie set lol.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Getting my second Pfizer jab tomorrow morning. The second dose reportedly causes some discomfort so I'm getting mentally prepared. I usually feel like crap all the time anyway so it can't really be that bad. My vaccination site is run by FEMA and the area is cordoned off and surrounded by guardsmen. I felt like an extra at a movie set lol.
My second Pfizer was a piece of cake but YMMV.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
My arm hurts today after receiving the first Pfizer shot late yesterday. I've had a little bit of a headache during the day today. I cannot complain. I thought I would have reacted more severely.

Everyone reacts differently. Most folks report having very mild to no symptoms, most everyone reports some soreness that lasts up to 24 hours. My arm felt like someone had punched me that same night I got the shot; the following morning I was fine.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My arm hurts today after receiving the first Pfizer shot late yesterday. I've had a little bit of a headache during the day today. I cannot complain. I thought I would have reacted more severely.
Sounds about like my mother. Felt fine the rest of the day after the shot, but had a pounding headache the next day that lasted about 12 hours then let up. Gone the day after that.

My second shot is Friday. I didn't feel anything with the first shot. Not sure if there will be any bigger reaction to the second. Expecting to go to the gym the afternoon after the shot. Not sure what effect that might have on things. Seems like I've asked my doctor in the past about going to the gym after vaccines, and she said it would only help things "distribute" faster.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m not crying, you’re crying!
Comedy Central No GIF by Alternatino with Arturo Castro

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got the second Moderna shot on Tuesday. About six hours later, I started feeling fatigued, and woke up Wednesday feeling fatigued and mildly feverish. So far today I still feel a little fatigued....

But...

I had dental surgery on Monday and that came with antibiotics, which generally leave me feeling out of sorts. So it’s impossible for me to say how much is the shot and how much is the antibiotics.

Either way, I’ve had worse colds and seasonal allergies than this.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The best thing about the shot; short of being vaccinated; is knowing the sources all discomforts and ailments are from that, and that alone. And that eliminates all fears, panics, second-guessings and freaking-outs over it being an “oh-no” moment of possible exposure.

Looking, looking, and looking, so very much forward to Shot Number #2.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Just got back from shot #2. I didn't even feel the jab this time. I wonder if they even jabbed me at all lol.

I'm expecting some discomfort, particularly as the hours progress, but I'm not expecting to be sidelined for a day or two. If it happens, it happens. I understand these effects mean the vaccine is hard at work.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The discomfort I had, normally would be the kind of thing I’d be able to work through in an office job, to put it in perspective. My seasonal allergies on the whole can be worse than this.

I also just looked up the side effects of the antibiotic I’m on and the fatigue and feeling of being run down is a possible side effect of that. My wife got the shot the same time I did and is back to normal today, so I’m gonna go with the theory that I’m mostly feeling off from the antibiotics.

Take care of your teeth folks! And my deepest sympathies for people like me who do take care of them and just have lousy genetics when it comes to teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks