What's new

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's been over two weeks since my second Pfizer shot. I'm still in no hurry to go to the movies nor eat in any restaurants as there are still too many people not taking this virus seriously enough for me. Though, I'm fully vaccinated, I just don't want to be around such people as we are in the middle of another significant uptick in Michigan.
In neighbouring Ontario, it's sadly the same deal. We can't even enter other provinces right now, never mind cross the Canada/U.S. border.

Stay safe! :)

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
If you've never had Chicken Pox you don't need the Shingles vaccine. If you've ever had Chicken Pox the virus that causes Chicken Pox is still in your system. It can be triggered again causing Shingles. If you *do* get Shingles then you can infect others with *Chicken Pox* if they've never had it, but not Shingles as it's an offshoot of a prior Chicken Pox infection. And I've read that the Shingles vaccine lasts only around 5 years so you have to have it again to keep that protection.

I'm an oddity. For most of my life, I've been under the assumption that I never had Chicken Pox. I don't recall ever having it, and my mother was always hoping I'd get it as a child so that I wouldn't be in danger of getting it as an adult. A few years ago, as I discussed this with my doctor, he had me tested for the presence of the CP virus. And sure enough, it was there. So, apparently, I had CP, but was asymptomatic. So, I'd gotten the Shingles vaccine. And then a couple of years later, the New, Better, Lemon-Freshened Shingles vaccine.

My wife, however, had Shingles (prior to my having met her), and she still has continuing issues related to it. It caused damage to the optic nerve in one eye. It didn't affect her vision, but without medication, too much stimulus to the eye causes nerve pain. Even with the medication, if she gets tired enough, it doesn't take much in the way of bright sunlight to cause the pain.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Got Pfizer #2 three hours ago. (I mentioned my wife having gotten #2 on Thursday, but in the other thread.) So far, so good, but as I said in the aforementioned other thread regarding my wife, she got a headache and chills in the evening and overnight (her shot was first thing in the morning). So, I'm planning for being down for the count tomorrow. Hopefully not.

Interesting thing, though. While I was being checked in, there were blank cards of different colors (purple, green, and either yellow or white -- I forget which). As my check-in person handed back my vaccination card and ID, he gave me one of the purple cards. On the other side, it said "Pfizer only". I assume (based on the height of the piles) that the green ones said "Moderna only". I've no idea what the white-or-yellow ones said; perhaps they were for people getting their first shot.

It was a bit of a thing on the news earlier this week that someone here in the Hamster Shire had gotten Pfizer for his second shot by mistake, after having gotten the Moderna for his first one. So there was some sturm und drang about whether this was a problem or not. The conclusion seemed to be that it probably wasn't, but obviously no one wants there to be a mistake of any kind, so the color-coded cards weren't a real surprise. My wife said they didn't have those cards on Thursday for her second dose, though.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
So, I'm planning for being down for the count tomorrow. Hopefully not.

OK, so I got #2 yesterday a little after 3pm (ET). About 5 hours later, the soreness in my arm was getting more pronounced. By the time I decided to head for bed, circa 10pm, the arm was definitely feeling quite sore, and my legs muscles were feeling achy (typical for me when I'd get the flu). While I didn't feel feverish, my head felt...odd. Like my brain matter had been replaced with cotton. Overnight, the aches in my legs got a bit worse, and spread to my arms. The injection site was wicked sore, and I was feeling more light-headed. Was tossing and turning a lot trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in.

By 8:00 this morning, I was over most of it. Still felt a little odd in the head. Took my temp, and it was low: 95.2. Just took it again now, and it's 96.4, almost normal for me (which is +/-96.8). Upper injection arm still sore, but not as. Achiness otherwise gone.

Thankfully no chills, like my wife had. Then again, my occasional med-induced hot flashes might've been fighting them off. :)

All in all, not as bad as I was expecting.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
These three articles were released around the same time, and tell three sides of the same cautionary tale.

First, the variant that is decimating Brazil:

Second, the real-world effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccines in America:

Third, how there's a potential slowing of interest in the vaccine in America:

It's like, want to avoid Article 1? Look at the actual, real-world evidence in Article 2, and let's reverse the trend in Article 3.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I saw my Dr. yesterday for my 6mo. checkup. He saw I'd been vaccinated and asked about my reaction to the shots. I told him the 1st was just a sore arm and the 2nd provided a sleepless/restless night, sore arm worse than the first, and a kind of lethargy/puny feeling all of a sudden the middle of the next morning, but no fever, that I "treated" with a couple of aspirin and a cup of coffee, and that feeling went away mid afternoon like someone flipped a switch. He replied "I've heard that a lot."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
These three articles were released around the same time, and tell three sides of the same cautionary tale.

First, the variant that is decimating Brazil:

Second, the real-world effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccines in America:

Third, how there's a potential slowing of interest in the vaccine in America:

It's like, want to avoid Article 1? Look at the actual, real-world evidence in Article 2, and let's reverse the trend in Article 3.
Yep, this pandemic is not going anywhere or ending any time soon if the general public is not willing to take responsibility and do their part.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Had to get a haircut today and run to Kroger for a few things. I had said last week that I was switching to curbside pickup only but I couldn’t get a time slot that worked with my schedule so I double masked and dove in. Probably 99% of the people in the store were maskless. I only saw four or five other shoppers wearing one. Good thing everyone in Sportclips still had good sense and was masked up. Yesterday morning, I had to take one of my dogs to the vet. This week, they had opened their lobby and stopped doing curbside service. When we came out of the exam room, I was the only person out of about 20 wearing a mask in this tiny lobby with no airflow. One lady even had a wet, hacking cough and wasn’t even trying to cover it. We’re doomed.

David Norman

Premium
Spoke with someone on the phone a bit earlier today who got their 2nd shot about 10 days ago, She said had the normal achy for 24 hrs, but then developed Vertigo a day later and has been miserable for a few days though maybe a little better today -- no history of Vertigo apparently.

Last edited:

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m planning a four day, 2nd-shot weekend. :) We’re getting our 2nd shots this week. So I cooked a big pasta dish and cookies tonight. I’m taking a four day weekend. If either of us has a strong reaction to the vaccine, we’ve got food and time off. And if not, I’ve got a four day weekend with food and cookies!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Had to get a haircut today and run to Kroger for a few things. I had said last week that I was switching to curbside pickup only but I couldn’t get a time slot that worked with my schedule so I double masked and dove in. Probably 99% of the people in the store were maskless. I only saw four or five other shoppers wearing one. Good thing everyone in Sportclips still had good sense and was masked up. Yesterday morning, I had to take one of my dogs to the vet. This week, they had opened their lobby and stopped doing curbside service. When we came out of the exam room, I was the only person out of about 20 wearing a mask in this tiny lobby with no airflow. One lady even had a wet, hacking cough and wasn’t even trying to cover it. We’re doomed.
My only slight hope would be that most of these maskless wonders have been at least semi vaxxed, though I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Everyone should still be masking up indoors, regardless.

CHEERS! :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My only slight hope would be that most of these maskless wonders have been at least semi vaxxed, though I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Everyone should still be masking up indoors, regardless.

He, like me, is in Arkansas - 20% vaccinated (at best - depends on just where you are in the state) and when the governor (IMHO stupidly) dropped the mask mandate the first of March so did ~80% of the residents (almost looks to be in line with who's been vaccinated with the vaccinated ones still in masks). Most people here are acting like they got the "All Clear" signal... At least *some* businesses I've been in still require a mask (the school I work for, Gamestop, and my Dr.'s office do but *not* Walmart or Big Lots or most grocery stores, even though all of their employees I saw were masked - you know, the places lots and lots of people go to every day).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
He, like me, is in Arkansas - 20% vaccinated (at best - depends on just where you are in the state) and when the governor (IMHO stupidly) dropped the mask mandate the first of March so did ~80% of the residents (almost looks to be in line with who's been vaccinated with the vaccinated ones still in masks). Most people here are acting like they got the "All Clear" signal... At least *some* businesses I've been in still require a mask (the school I work for, Gamestop, and my Dr.'s office do but *not* Walmart or Big Lots or most grocery stores, even though all of their employees I saw were masked - you know, the places lots and lots of people go to every day).
That's sadly, not out of line with my thinking, regarding the situation. As of late, our son has been entering the grocery outlets and doing the hands on shopping for us, although I did go into our local grocery outlet once last week to pick up a few needed items. They seem to be enforcing the wear a mask rule, at least, unlike in some of the larger big box outlets, where it is hit and miss.

Reactions: PMF

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't go to that many places but I have to say that virtually all of people that I see are wearing masks. They may be below the nose on a decent number (maybe 20 or 25%) of them but I suppose it's better than being a selfish moron and not wearing it at all.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A small silver lining is at least in the big box stores, the sheer amount of space and air volume likely reduces risk of transmission. I would not be too worried about catching anything in a large commercial space. Small spaces with poor ventilation and too many people are the places to avoid.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They're opening up the state run vaccination center here in Potsdam NY to walk-ins. Hopefully just a sign of increasing availability of vaccination sites rather than an indicator of slowing interest (Wal-Mart around here for instance just recently started doing COVID-19 shots).

Tomorrow will be my 2nd shot. Crossing my fingers I don't feel too bad afterwards (I definitely had mild side effects from the first shot).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digital Dan