The Contender

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt Harrison, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison Stunt Coordinator

Are we ever going to see this show on DVD?

I have been waiting ages for it but no word. I would love to see it released. I am getting pumped for Rocky VI already [​IMG]

2. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

To be honest, I don't think we'll see it on DVD. NBC switched the show to another channel before the finale... I loved the show, and there is always hope.

Ryan

3. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I'm almost certain NBC aired the finale. I know before the season's end, they announced that "The Contender" would not return for a second season. Shortly thereafter, ESPN picked it up, and will be airing season 2 in June I believe. But the entire first season run definitely aired on NBC.

As per the topic, I'm not sure if I'd buy the show if it were to become available. I loved it when it first aired, but now the element of surprise and suspense is gone. I already know who wins, who looses, what happens, etc. I just don't see a lot of re-watchability where this one's concerned. That would explain why I don't buy other reality-based TV sets. [​IMG]

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Season 2 starts in July (and yes, NBC aired the finale).

I absolutely loved this show; and I think that the first season is probably the single greatest reality show season other than the first Survivor.

I'd love to see a release of the first season to coincide with the second season's premiere...it was truly a fantastic show and I would love to rewatch it.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    They'll probably put it out on disc. They put everything out!

Didn't NBC skip a few episodes when they originally aired it? I seem to recall it getting cancelled before it was over.

I'm still waiting to see the end of The Restaurant -- now that was riveting reality TV! NBC simply stopped airing it with about 3 or 4 episodes to go. [​IMG]

6. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

There must have been a simulacast, ehh. The rematches aired on another network, that's probably what I am thinking of...

Original HTF Contender Thread

7. Matt Harrison

Yeah I heard there was to be a second series. Looking forward to that if it happens. I did think there would not be a re-watch factor to it, but after not seeing it for a long time, I am ready to see the fights again. Just like a good Ali match, you seem to want to see it again.

Here is hoping for a release.

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

I'm still waiting to see the fights for the first time. That ridiculous movie-style production was a huge mistake. I like watching boxing (and there's not enough of it on TV); I could care less about all the crowd reaction shots and quick-cuts. Why they couldn't simply show the 15-minute fight at the end of each 43-minute episode is beyond me.

I am hoping that ESPN takes a more sports-oriented angle on the second season.

9. Matt Harrison

Yeah thats true. I would of liked to have seen the whole fight without the quick cuts.

10. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke

Aaron, are you sure you're not mistaking "The Contender" with Oscar De La Hoya's failed series which aired on FOX entitled "The Next Great Champ"?

I remember watching the debut episode of that one, and I had to change the channel after seeing the fight at the end. I thought the cinematics were far worse than those in "The Contender". I don't think TNGC reached completion due to low ratings. It really was quite bad.

I don't get ESPN here in Canada, so I'm hoping TSN will pick up the 2nd season.

11. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

I'd rather see Univeral's "The Contender", the 1980 5-part CBS miniseries starring Marc Singer.

12. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Never saw that one. I may be wrong about The Contender not airing all of its episodes on NBC though.